Author Topic: New PC  (Read 2235 times)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
Re: New PC
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 04:54:04 PM »
Considering they pay pennies on the dollar from there suppliers sense they mass purchase there parts, at $785 they still made a bundle, there's a bunch of AHer's that build PC's.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
they gave it to you for 785$ but are you counting what you spent on the prior 3? seems like your payin more then the thing is worth. just my take on it.

this will be my third in 4 months, so it's a prior two...and those two were credited in full once returned.  the ONLY cost was me paying UPS $10 each time to pick them up at my home because my old *** is too lazy to drive them to a UPS store.  ;)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2010, 06:43:23 PM »
Considering they pay pennies on the dollar from there suppliers sense they mass purchase there parts, at $785 they still made a bundle, there's a bunch of AHer's that build PC's.

I'm ok with that.  happy enough with my deal that if they made good jack...I'm OK.  afterall...we're not communists here.

AHer's who build systems.  NOW I know.  I never came into this forum before...and originally came in here just to check on what people were saying...if anything...about my video card.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2010, 10:51:44 PM »
I'm ok with that.  happy enough with my deal that if they made good jack...I'm OK.  afterall...we're not communists here.

AHer's who build systems.  NOW I know.  I never came into this forum before...and originally came in here just to check on what people were saying...if anything...about my video card.

You will love, and you will utterly hate that graphics card as of right now. The card is SWEET, but the drivers are still buggy and have quite a few problems, I can't use a wirbelwinds cannons with weapon effects on with that card, but my 8800GTS didnt have much of a problem with it. 

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »
I was looking at the pic of your card and it looks like its a AMD based card ( i can see the AMD logo) with a ATI logo going into a Intel board with Intel CPU  is there going to be any conflics as far as the mixing of Intel and AMD?? on performance, i always thought AMD worked closer with Nvidia.  :headscratch:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2010, 02:04:29 PM »
I run intel and an AMD GFX card...no conflicts at all...
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2010, 03:25:55 PM »
I was looking at the pic of your card and it looks like its a AMD based card ( i can see the AMD logo) with a ATI logo going into a Intel board with Intel CPU  is there going to be any conflics as far as the mixing of Intel and AMD?? on performance, i always thought AMD worked closer with Nvidia.  :headscratch:

No, Intel chipsets and ATI cards work fine together.  If there's any pairing "rules" you want to stick to these days, it's to pair NVidia chipsets with NVidia cards, if you have intentions of doing SLI. 

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 04:55:54 PM »
No, Intel chipsets and ATI cards work fine together.  If there's any pairing "rules" you want to stick to these days, it's to pair NVidia chipsets with NVidia cards, if you have intentions of doing SLI. 

<S>

On Friday (about 5 mins before FSO launch - sigh), my graphics card crapped out taking the primary PCIe-16 slot on my motherboard with it (actually - it could have been the other way around). Anyway, long and short of it was I spent Saturday morning making an unexpected trip to the local toy store (AKA Fry's).

After a few false starts due the rushed need to get back up and running and lack of the usual research, I ended up with:

Core i7 860 ($280)
Asus P7P55D Pro Motherboard ($180)
4GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 ($140)
XFX 5850 Black Edition ($355)
WD Caviar 1TB Disk ($109)
Win 7 Home Premium Upgrade ($119)

Total $1183

Those prices are more less on a par with NewEgg which is usually about as cheap as I can find, so I'm thinking ZetaNine's price for the Dell is not that bad given they are throwing in more memory, a better graphics card, case, dvd drives, fans, monitor etc etc. Plus he doesn't have a bunch of skinned knuckles now.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 12:12:46 AM »
good stuff man........let us know how it's working.  it sounds sweet.

I cannot help but wonder how my system is going to respond to aces high...my headset and my stick... I keep having this fear something is not going to gel...drivers...hardware...I dunno. I think I'm more freaked about the 64 bit thing that he W7 thing.   I guess I'll know in a few weeks.  I saved my aces high settings backup...which is now going on three months old. (and from a machine with an XP OS) I assume that's Ok to load once I DL aces high, yes?

I also assume I load my stick and headphone drivers BEFORE I load Aces High, so the game detects them on set-up, yes? it's been a LOOOOOOOONG time since I did this...and if feels like forever since I jumped into aces high.  I know it will all come back to me in 30 minutes...but sitting here right now typing this...I honestly cannot recall how to start a freakin GV and get it into gear.  lol

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 06:18:29 AM »
^ W7 runs great w/AH and 64 bit.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 08:10:04 AM »
good to hear.

the two weeks I had it temporarily on vista......I was having to reinstall CH fighterstick and headset drivers almost every day.

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 01:54:06 PM »
Even a Dell with great hardware .....still has a Dell Bios .  That in itself would be a deal breaker .  Not only does it make upgrading a nightmare ... it keeps you from getting the most out of the hardware you paid for.  Does dell still run their own bios on the video cards they install  too?   I remember trouble shooting a 9800 pro awhile back and discovering how different a Dell 9800 was from a retail 9800.

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »
Even a Dell with great hardware .....still has a Dell Bios .  That in itself would be a deal breaker .  Not only does it make upgrading a nightmare ... it keeps you from getting the most out of the hardware you paid for.  Does dell still run their own bios on the video cards they install  too?   I remember trouble shooting a 9800 pro awhile back and discovering how different a Dell 9800 was from a retail 9800.

everything things proprietary with them.......so I would imagine the answer is yes.

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Cruddy BIOS is definitely one of the downsides of Dell. Not really an issue unless you plan to overclock though.

I wouldn't worry about the Windows 7 thing. I was running final 64 bit release candidate on my old machine for about 6 months with no problems using a combination of CH and Saitek gear.

New machine is up and running. Haven't had a chance to start OC'ing it yet to set what it'll really do, but on stock settings everything is ticking along nicely. Only issue I've had so far was needing to do a BIOS update on the motherboard to get my iPhone to sync with iTunes - apparently its a well known problem with the P55 chipset.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
TD I find your comment to be the height of hypocrisy since you don't actually offer any warranty at all on your systems that I'm aware of.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson