Author Topic: F7F Tigercat!!  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Re: F7F Tigercat!!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »
Marine Corps night fighter squadron VMF(N)-513 flying F7F-3N Tigercats saw action in the early stages of the Korean War, flying night interdiction and fighter missions and shooting down two Polikarpov Po-2 biplanes. This was the only combat use of the aircraft.

They were deployed in, and flying around Okinawa when the war ended.  Their only problem is they didn't have anything to shoot at, or it would have seen combat before the surrender.  The F8F wasn't in theater--merely on its way. 

For whatever its worth...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »
Speaking of what if... What if Spitfires fought Mustangs? What if Hellcats fought Yaks? What if FW-190s fought N1K2s? That's just three examples that this sim is nothing but what ifs happening every minute.

No, it's not because the game does not pretend to be a recreation or simulation of World War II. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »
No, it's not because the game does not pretend to be a recreation or simulation of World War II. 

ack-ack

So why do we act like the aircraft additions should...
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
So why do we act like the aircraft additions should...

Having requirements that state the plane or vehicle had to have been operational at least on the squadron level and saw combat isn't acting like we're trying to recreate WW2.  It's a simple game design decision for what can be added to the game.  Since WW2 planes and vehicles were selected, it stands to reason to only include those that HiTech feels meet the requirements.

Now, please explain how these requirements show what you're trying to claim they do?

ack-ack

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:39:25 PM »
Im gonna chime in for Flipper here.

AH2 is run on the basis that if it was a WW2 Combat Aircraft it should be in the game. Now we prioritize so the Spitfire,109 and 51 are automatically in. But even if it was experimental or maybe a hanger queen, we have aircraft in AH2 which saw less operational flying than some Experimental types. (TA-152- P47-M)

So I think the "gamey" aspects should come about. If the 82nd and the 80th wanna fly 38s but need to operate from carriers. The Tigercat would be as close as they could get to their favourite ride. So I think even if it never saw combat, it was in operational service in WW2 in the states and was designed to fight Japan AND it has plenty of data and is easily modeled compared to some other aircraft.

(sorry for lack of full stops but I needed emphasis)  :D
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »
we have aircraft in AH2 which saw less operational flying than some Experimental types. (TA-152- P47-M)
I hate to tell you, but...

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2010, 08:36:47 PM »
Im gonna chime in for Flipper here.

we have aircraft in AH2 which saw less operational flying than some Experimental types. (TA-152- P47-M)

P-47M flew hundreds of sorties in group strength.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2010, 09:08:35 PM »
Not sure what plane you guys are discussing in this thread, but whatever it is--PERK IT!!

And aren't there other "gaps" that need to filled first?? :x
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Flipperk

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2010, 10:50:21 PM »
Having requirements that state the plane or vehicle had to have been operational at least on the squadron level and saw combat isn't acting like we're trying to recreate WW2.  It's a simple game design decision for what can be added to the game.  Since WW2 planes and vehicles were selected, it stands to reason to only include those that HiTech feels meet the requirements.

Now, please explain how these requirements show what you're trying to claim they do?

ack-ack

Ok i will, Based on those requirments you limit the plane types to those that saw combat..why?

If the point of the game is to fight in WWII fighters then why have limiting criteria...i mean if we limit the planes because of combat action saw by these planes, might as well limit the MA to an Axis Vs. Allies arena. Last time i checked i never saw an episode of Dogfights with two p51s fighting eachother.

Based on YOUR limiting criteria for aircraft, you defeat your own purpose of what you think this game is about. You think that this game is about fighting WWII aircraft vs. WWII aircraft, not aircraft that saw combat vs aircraft that saw combat. Some of these planes were made in WWII, so why not have them? Just because they did not see combat? Well...like I said i never saw a P51 dogfight a P51 in any WWII Book ive read...

So the criteria you put out is limiting the plane set to historical setups...but like you said thats not what the game is about..

Basically, why do we limit the planes but however do not bother to limit the gameplay by these planes?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 11:16:49 PM by Flipperk »
It is 2 Cents or .02 Dollars...NOT .02 Cents!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2010, 11:56:02 PM »
-1 if you think it will be added in the next two years.

+1 after 2 years.

We NEED to add the 111, G4M, Ki 43, Yak 3, Beaufighter

I WANT Spit XII, Pe 2, Me 109g-10, Westland Whirlwind, Hurricane mk IIb, A-26, Fairey Swordfish and the 38H.

So you've flown and mastered all the aircraft in AH already?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 01:20:34 AM »

Ok i will, Based on those requirments you limit the plane types to those that saw combat..why?

If the point of the game is to fight in WWII fighters then why have limiting criteria...i mean if we limit the planes because of combat action saw by these planes, might as well limit the MA to an Axis Vs. Allies arena. Last time i checked i never saw an episode of Dogfights with two p51s fighting eachother.

Based on YOUR limiting criteria for aircraft, you defeat your own purpose of what you think this game is about. You think that this game is about fighting WWII aircraft vs. WWII aircraft, not aircraft that saw combat vs aircraft that saw combat. Some of these planes were made in WWII, so why not have them? Just because they did not see combat? Well...like I said i never saw a P51 dogfight a P51 in any WWII Book ive read...

So the criteria you put out is limiting the plane set to historical setups...but like you said thats not what the game is about..

Basically, why do we limit the planes but however do not bother to limit the gameplay by these planes?

First off attacking AckAck will get you nowhere,he's not the person who decided what the "rules" should be.
 Secondly no one is limiting anything,HTC has developed a game/sim that allows the use of WW2 combat aircraft.When developing the game/sim it was decided that in order to be included in the hanger the aircraft had to see actual combat and sever atleast at a squadron level.  The players never made this rule the developers did.

While I might like to someday be able to fly some of the above mentioned aircraft,many others too, I'd prefer to see a well rounded planeset with all the major combatants having some type of representation and the major players having a near complete set.

Theres so many planes the acually fought during WW2 that we dont have,personally I'd rather see anyone of them before a plane that didnt see combat.

The F7F is my kind of plane,twin with lots of guns,but it still isnt high on my list of planes I'd like to see......             The Beaufighter and Me410 belong ingame long before any tigercat.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 03:21:03 AM »

Last time I checked, this game was not about recreating or simulating World War II.  Which is why in the main arenas you have Spitfires fighting Spitfires and Mustangs fighting Mustangs.

I'm not the one that designed and created this game, nor am I the one that created the criteria for planes to be added.  That was done by the developers, any issue with that you should bring to them.  While you're at it, why not tell HiTech that he is wrong when he's repeatedly stated this game is not about recreating or simulating World War II.

The criteria for adding planes to the game is not bound to historical setups, if it was then you'd never see Allied planes fighting other Allied planes in the main arenas.  That's the intent of the AvA arena, to create those historical matchups between planes of opposing sides that saw combat in World War II.

Why should we limit the game play of the planes we have?  If you don't want to fight Mustangs, Spitfires while flying Mustangs or Spitfires there is the AvA arena that caters to those that enjoy historical matchups.

ack-ack

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
So you've flown and mastered all the aircraft in AH already?
Yes.

Yes I have. 

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 02:21:16 PM »
Yes.

Yes I have. 

sandwich I doubt any of us can strictly say they have mastered every aircraft in AH, even those that have been here 10 years.

That said I did like the look of your list Guppy quoted and agree that quite a few of those have been on the most needed ASAP sensible list for sometime....
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 02:25:40 PM »
Ok. Bring on the F-22 to the MA!  :rock  ;)

man you are behind the times

.AHcheat/F22
 :rolleyes:
 :D

*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW