Author Topic: Reduce Cv puffy ack  (Read 1407 times)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Reduce Cv puffy ack
« on: January 30, 2010, 06:53:45 PM »
By a third.  And increase the alt it blows up at by 10%

Its like those "Too weak, too strong" commercials
I used to fly by the CVs admiring the puffs of black smoke that hardly ever hit me unless I got really close Now I get one pinged at extreme ranges regularly
We went from one extreme to the other. although puffy ack is still pretty tame on bomber formations

When furballing anywhere near a CV on the deck You have to be careful even doing a simple loop because puffy ack starts going off all around you.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
Re: Reduce Cv puffy ack
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »
I have to give a +1 to this idea cv ack is too deadly.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 07:26:07 PM »
At the very least they need to address its relative effectiveness against fighters vs. bombers. And they also need to look at the firing range.

I can't tell you how many times I've flown over a boat when no other friendlies were around and the puffy ack didn't open up until I was RIGHT on top of it. The ack then proceeds to follow me until I'm half a a sector away. I'd REALLY like to see max range decreased, but the guns to open up AT its max range.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline RaptorL

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
I don't think its that deadly. I think your only is either not taking evasive action to avoid flack, or your bellybutton is getting capped by the guys in the turrets.
But that just my opinion.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 09:26:06 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time I was blown outta the sky by a CV auto-puffy that originated so far away I couldnt #$^^$^# SEE it...
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:34:31 PM »
I have no issue with it being able to dial in and start hammering a bomber formation from a pretty good range..  big target, steady heading, steady alt..  fine..

what I take issue with is being in a fighter ripping along at 400mph at 15K and suddenly Im in the tower "you have been killed"   first burst of puff.. dead.

that has happened to me more than a few times.

I think if your in a fighter and you change your course (laterally or vertically) more than say 20 degrees every 10 seconds or so, the puff shouldent even bother shooting at you, much less be able to blot you out of the sky in short order.

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
auto puffy ack i think is to weak actually. Manned puffy ack needs to be lightend up a little bit.

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:27:33 PM »
Against bombers, it's weak. Against fighters it's very strong. Seldom do my B26's get gunned down by auto puff-ack.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 11:56:56 PM »
I have no issue with it being able to dial in and start hammering a bomber formation from a pretty good range..  big target, steady heading, steady alt..  fine..

what I take issue with is being in a fighter ripping along at 400mph at 15K and suddenly Im in the tower "you have been killed"   first burst of puff.. dead.

I think if your in a fighter and you change your course (laterally or vertically) more than say 20 degrees every 10 seconds or so, the puff shouldent even bother shooting at you, much less be able to blot you out of the sky in short order.

I remember a discussion on these boards about how even if you change coarse it won't do a thing

Offline LCCajun

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 04:11:51 AM »

I am in the same boat as you wingnutt. I can't tell you how many times I would be about 15k just hauling a** and one shot one kill from the ack.
Ingame ID: Cajon

"SlapShot
There is no shame in putting up a good fight and dieing."
"You never know how strong you are til being strong is the only choice you have" Unknown author

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:35 AM »
iirc the most effective late war fire control systems using proxy fused shells achieved a kill per 1000 rounds fired ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 07:38:21 AM »
what seems to happen is that on my FE the puffy ack is hitting me, but on someone else's FE the puffy ack is hitting them. I cannot see it hitting them, they cannot see it hitting me. So is it shooting two targets at once? It's common to hear 'Why does the puffy ack always shoot at me not you?' Seems that there is some kind of code that means everyone gets shot at but only you see yourself being hit? Maybe i'm way off base, but thats what it feels like.  :cry
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:45:53 AM »
The accuracy needs to be reduced a bit. I've been hit by CV ack 3-4 times in a sortie while dogfighting so many times. The amount of ack I personally think is ok. It's probably no where near the amount of ack pilots back in WWII saw on a daily basis!

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »
I don't think its that deadly. I think your only is either not taking evasive action to avoid flack, or your bellybutton is getting capped by the guys in the turrets.
But that just my opinion.

...Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries, now go away or I shall insult you for a second time.

I wish I could dig up the video, I posted it here once before, but mediafire took the video down and I'm afraid it's gone. :/

But, flying at ~17k in P-47-d-25's going around 325 mph, *poof*, just like that, our flight lead was gone. I take formation leader as we were 4 1/2 sectors away from the nearest friendly base, continue our strike, and a sector or so away, we run into the CV firing at us... All of us were killed.

I would love to see WWII footage of a flak gunner hitting anything at 17k clocking >300mph, much less in one burst from BVR.

And Raptor, no, we're talking about AUTO ack...
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 02:30:28 PM »
If nothing else,atLEAST make the rounds obey the laws of physics, and STOP being faster than light..... :uhoh
try THIS sometime.....fly parallel to the TG @5-6-even 8 miles away ; be at absolute top speed; be at 2,995ft;
NOW, pull up ever so slightly....The INSTANT you reach 3,000ft a burst of puffy goes off all around you, as if it were allready there, waiting 4 u to break 3K alt to detonate. Might not be Faster than light, but 8miles in 1/100th
a second probably exceeds historic muzzel velocity :neener:         elfy
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000