Author Topic: Bomber damage  (Read 5009 times)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomber damage
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2010, 11:17:21 PM »
Thanks MadHatter  :lol

First of all, explain the sense of showing kills landed for fighters.

There is none and I could care less. Still waiting for your definition of "sense"?

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
1. They still bail.
2. Land kills, great they deserve to be recognized.
4. I don't recall bomber crews getting kudos based on the damage each plane incurred.
5. Lighten up, it is a game  :lol

1. yes they do.
            2. They should
            3. Bomber crews celebrated drops on target and kills on the noses of their plane. Just like fighter aces.
            4. Take your own advise. :aok

On one note. The other day I shot 4 rockets into buildings with a TBM, and still got my name in lights.  Alittle more tweaking with the bomber damage thing would be nice IMO. Oopps now the bomber boys will stone me AHHHH!!!  :bolt:
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:32:30 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2010, 03:34:11 PM »
On one note. The other day I shot 4 rockets into buildings with a TBM, and still got my name in lights.  Alittle more tweaking with the bomber damage thing would be nice IMO. Oopps now the bomber boys will stone me AHHHH!!!  :bolt:

You are right, it does need tweaking.

There is none and I could care less. Still waiting for your definition of "sense"?

Fair enough, then in that case there is no sense in recognizing bomber damage either.  But if you're going to recognize fighters doing what they do, it makes sense to recognize bombers for doing what they do.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

1. yes they do.
            2. They should
            3. Bomber crews celebrated drops on target and kills on the noses of their plane. Just like fighter aces.
            4. Take your own advise. :aok

On one note. The other day I shot 4 rockets into buildings with a TBM, and still got my name in lights.  Alittle more tweaking with the bomber damage thing would be nice IMO. Oopps now the bomber boys will stone me AHHHH!!!  :bolt:

This isn't what we are talking about. Don't recall any buildings being painted on the side of a bomber. Take your meds :aok

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2010, 06:21:55 PM »
This isn't what we are talking about. Don't recall any buildings being painted on the side of a bomber. Take your meds :aok
Touche, If I do recall. Industry and ammo factories were a form of  building. :D Bear :noid

When I land a few kills in a Wildcat, or Hellcat. I think of Butch' Ohare or Thatch landing pics.

Maybe some of the bomber boys have pics of Memphis Belle returning on it's last mission. That's what I was saying any woo. MMM Cookies!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 06:26:18 PM by crazyivan »
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »
For a WWII pilot, it would be a lot easier for a fighter to tell if a plane is down or not.  It's not as easy for a bomber to count buildings, or determine if the building is destroyed, what qualifies as destroyed?  Fighters could quantify enemy planes really easy, if the plane went down... one.  It was impossible to quantify damage.

But in this virtual world we love so much, we can quantify it easy, so why not take advantage of it?  Fighters get plenty of benefits from the virtual world.  Off the top of my head think if you shot someone up and they head home.  You'd never know what happened to that pilot and cannot confirm that as a kill.  What if that guy crashed as a result of the damage you had done to him, well through the magic of AH he could be hundreds of miles away yet you still get credited with a kill. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2010, 06:56:48 PM »
Touche, If I do recall. Industry and ammo factories were a form of  building. :D Bear :noid

When I land a few kills in a Wildcat, or Hellcat. I think of Butch' Ohare or Thatch landing pics.

Maybe some of the bomber boys have pics of Memphis Belle returning on it's last mission. That's what I was saying any woo. MMM Cookies!

Bombers were tagged according to missions flown and landed and kills. On the nose a bomb usually denoted a mission and a kill was either the rising sun or the swastika.

Here's some of the "cleaner" ones.

*Edit* Oops, had to delete one that could get me in trouble

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:11:39 PM by MadHatter »
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2010, 07:28:14 PM »
Don't recall any buildings being painted on the side of a bomber.

Do you read history? Of course, you just stated you don't care.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
Do you read history? Of course, you just stated you don't care.
All the time. Do you? My point is, air to air kills and assists required verification to receive credit. This wasn't 100% accurate. The "Yamamoto" mission for example. The AAR's reported 3 Betty's shot down. Japanese records after the war stated only 2 were in the flight. On top of that, 2 pilots claimed the kill on Yamamoto's plane. Like I said, not 100% accurate. Bombing missions were usually followed up by an aireal recon. They didn't have the ability to say plane # so and so killed 15 buildings, plane # whatever destroyed 8 buildings. Sure, a single plane mission could do that, but how many missions were like that? That's all I'm saying.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:20:15 PM by Bear76 »

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2010, 08:34:58 PM »
All the time. Do you? My point is, air to air kills and assists required verification to receive credit. This wasn't 100% accurate. The "Yamamoto" mission for example. The AAR's reported 3 Betty's shot down. Japanese records after the war stated only 2 were in the flight. On top of that, 2 pilots claimed the kill on Yamamoto's plane. Like I said, not 100% accurate. Bombing missions were usually followed up by an aireal recon. They didn't have the ability to say plane # so and so killed 15 buildings, plane # whatever destroyed 8 buildings. Sure, a single plane mission could do that, but how many missions were like that? That's all I'm saying.

What you've been saying has been buff drivers are pointless and useless, whatever damage we've done was by taking the easy route and not worth any recognition. In case you forgot......
Fighting something that doesn't move at all and can barely defend itself? Hardly deserves having your name in lights. :(
You want credit for sinking a boat? Fine, I have no problem with that. Blowing up a few buildings? Not necessary to have it flash to the whole arena. That is my point.
The fact remains, there are people who like to drive buffs. I'm one, Thndr's another. We have different views on a successful mission and what should qualify for recognition. You're right, kicking over a tent shouldn't be recognized, but landing about 5000 points should be. Besides the whole point of the OP was how much has been brought home, not whether or not you thought it worth the name in lights.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:45:59 PM by MadHatter »
-MadHat
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2010, 08:38:09 PM »
What you've been saying has been buff drivers are pointless and useless, whatever damage we've done was by taking the easy route and not worth any recognition. In case you forgot......

You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that nor do I believe that, in case you forgot  :lol

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »
What you've been saying has been buff drivers are pointless and useless, whatever damage we've done was by taking the easy route and not worth any recognition. In case you forgot......The fact remains, there are people who like to drive buffs. I'm one, Thndr's another. We have different views on a successful mission and what should qualify for recognition. You're right, kicking over a tent shouldn't be recognized, but landing about 5000 points should be. Besides the whole point of the OP was how much has been brought home, not whether or not you thought it worth the name in lights.

Well, I've never felt the need for recognition. Some do I guess.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
Bombers were tagged according to missions flown and landed and kills. On the nose a bomb usually denoted a mission and a kill was either the rising sun or the swastika.

Here's some of the "cleaner" ones.

*Edit* Oops, had to delete one that could get me in trouble

Some crews would also paint silhouettes of some of their 'kills'.  I remember seeing a photo of a Marine B-25 that had silhouettes of a destroyer and barges painted along with bombs denoting missions flown.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2010, 09:04:56 PM »
You really need to work on your reading comprehension. I never stated that nor do I believe that, in case you forgot  :lol

I just quoted you twice stating the exact opposite. Both times you state that damage landed ( "Blowing up a few buildings....."; "Hardly deserving...." ) wasn't worth the recognition.

Well, I've never felt the need for recognition. Some do I guess.

You're right some do, and if you've never felt the need for recognition then why are you so adamant about damage landed not worthy of it?

Ack-Ack, I've seen art like that too, especially from the Naval side of things.
-MadHat

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:51 PM »
Some crews would also paint silhouettes of some of their 'kills'.  I remember seeing a photo of a Marine B-25 that had silhouettes of a destroyer and barges painted along with bombs denoting missions flown.

ack-ack
My crew chief is putting on the finishing touches of an "outhouse" silhoutte on my plane from last nights mission :D