Author Topic: Bomber damage  (Read 5026 times)

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
Re: Bomber damage
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 07:39:10 PM »
Fighting something that doesn't move at all and can barely defend itself? Hardly deserves having your name in lights. :(

Would you rather have bombers bail in front of your gunsight as soon as you have them lined up to kill? Part of the reason HiTech (the guy you should complain to) implimented it is a small incentive (i.e. recognition) for the bomber pilot/squad/group in completing his/their run from take-off to landing.

Fighter pilots/squads/groups in WW2 were recognized for their kills they scored and staying alive to return home.

Bomber crews/squads/groups were recognized for the damage they inflicted, the kills they scored, and making it home.

But, this is a game. Some apparently believe historical flavor needs to be shelved. :rolleyes:
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 08:16:27 PM »
Would you rather have bombers bail in front of your gunsight as soon as you have them lined up to kill? Part of the reason HiTech (the guy you should complain to) implimented it is a small incentive (i.e. recognition) for the bomber pilot/squad/group in completing his/their run from take-off to landing.

Fighter pilots/squads/groups in WW2 were recognized for their kills they scored and staying alive to return home.

Bomber crews/squads/groups were recognized for the damage they inflicted, the kills they scored, and making it home.

But, this is a game. Some apparently believe historical flavor needs to be shelved. :rolleyes:

1. They still bail.
2. Land kills, great they deserve to be recognized.
3. If this was historically acurate, you wouldn't get to jump in another plane immediately after you die.
4. I don't recall bomber crews getting kudos based on the damage each plane incurred.
5. Lighten up, it is a game  :lol

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 08:21:04 PM »
I landed 1900 -some-odd points for downing a single VH and a barracks that sufferred from my poor aim.  That's not a very good run IMO, and not something that rises to the level of "getting your name in lights."
OTOH, I was in B-24s -- had I been in a Val, that would have been a very good run.
Perhaps a change from points to bombing accuracy?  Above 100% gets you an honorable mention?

Don't feel bad, I had 1 run where I landed 370 damage. Apparently someone had a tent down there. Definitely not something to go up in lights for. I think a 5k run should be the minimum standard. I don't think it should be based on accuracy, that would pose to many variables. Does a hit consist of the bomb contacting the target or the does the target just have to be in the blast zone? On top of that you have drones too. If I use 250's to drop a hangar, I drop leading, top, and trailing. 1 actually hits, but all are in the blast zone.So is my accuracy 13% or 100% (3 bombs x 3 planes)?
1. They still bail.
2. Land kills, great they deserve to be recognized.
3. If this was historically acurate, you wouldn't get to jump in another plane immediately after you die.
4. I don't recall bomber crews getting kudos based on the damage each plane incurred.
5. Lighten up, it is a game  :lol

1: Never bailed to deny a kill, I tend to go down all guns blazing.
2. True, they do deserve to be recognized, so does someone who does 2 passes on a base and knocks out ALL the offensive capabilities of it.
3. You also wouldn't re-arm and re-fuel in 30 seconds
4. "damage each plane incurred" means damage taken.Many bombers are famous for this. Memphis Belle, Ruptured Duck, Nine O' Nine, Old 666 (the cursed bomber), Flak Bait, Sally B just to name a few.On top of that many bombers were recognized for missions flown. The "crush cap" was used to signify that. Bombers were recognized for hitting targets, taking damage and getting home. As for damage dealt, you see it all the time in Naval History. Tonnage sank, tonnage damaged just to prove the point. In 1 year Black Cats sank over 117,000 tons while damaging 47,000 tons and 10 warships.
5. True, it is a game. I just don't think that Buff drivers appreciate having someone tell them that they're "hardly deserving of having their name in lights."
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 08:58:08 PM by MadHatter »
-MadHat
CO 81st Bomb Wing "Pogues"
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:27 PM »
Don't feel bad, I had 1 run where I landed 370 damage. Apparently someone had a tent down there. Definitely not something to go up in lights for. I think a 5k run should be the minimum standard. I don't think it should be based on accuracy, that would pose to many variables. Does a hit consist of the bomb contacting the target or the does the target just have to be in the blast zone? On top of that you have drones too. If I use 250's to drop a hangar, I drop leading, top, and trailing. 1 actually hits, but all are in the blast zone.So is my accuracy 13% or 100% (3 bombs x 3 planes)?
1: Never bailed to deny a kill, I tend to go down all guns blazing.
2. True, they do deserve to be recognized, so does someone who does 2 passes on a base and knocks out ALL the offensive capabilities of it.
3. You also wouldn't re-arm and re-fuel in 30 seconds
4. "damage each plane incurred" means damage taken.Many bombers are famous for this. Memphis Belle, Ruptured Duck, Nine O' Nine, Old 666 (the cursed bomber), Flak Bait, Sally B just to name a few.On top of that many bombers were recognized for missions flown. The "crush cap" was used to signify that. Bombers were recognized for hitting targets, taking damage and getting home. As for damage dealt, you see it all the time in Naval History. Tonnage sank, tonnage damaged just to prove the point. In 1 year Black Cats sank over 117,000 tons while damaging 47,000 tons and 10 warships.
5. True, it is a game. I just don't think that Buff drivers appreciate having someone tell them that they're "hardly deserving of having their name in lights."

You want credit for sinking a boat? Fine, I have no problem with that. Blowing up a few buildings? Not necessary to have it flash to the whole arena. That is my point.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
I was thinking 5K as well until as I was typing the last post I realized that a 5K damage run may be next to impossible if not completely impossible in the light bombers.  In other words, if getting the damage listed is any incentive at all, it is only an incentive to take up Lancasters so you have the payload to do more damage even when your accuracy stinks.

Which is why I suggested hit percent as a yardstick.  It wouldn't have to be any more complicated than the calculations used for bombing percentage today.  As I understand it, any target damaged in the blast radius counts toward the hit %.  One target damaged with first bomb, 100% hit.  Second bomb dropped, 2 targets damaged, 200% hit.  Average for your two bombs, 3 objects damaged, 150% hit.  Of all the bombs you dropped, did your damage percent exceed 100%?  Yes, then "Bombstud landed bombing run with 150% hit accuracy."

Not sure it is the best way, but it would do some leveling of the light vs. heavy bombers . . . and might make Stukas with the MOABs more plentiful . . . mmmmm crunchy.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:54 PM »
You want credit for sinking a boat? Fine, I have no problem with that. Blowing up a few buildings? Not necessary to have it flash to the whole arena. That is my point.

You want credit for shooting down a plane? Fine, I have no problem with that.  Getting credit because some guy augured next to you?  Not necessary to have it flash the whole arena.  That is MY point.  :D
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
You want credit for shooting down a plane? Fine, I have no problem with that.  Getting credit because some guy augured next to you?  Not necessary to have it flash the whole arena.  That is MY point.  :D

I wasn't talking to you and I earn my kills. Feel free to land all the proxy kills you like :lol

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2010, 10:28:12 PM »
I wasn't talking to you and I earn my kills. Feel free to land all the proxy kills you like :lol

lol Well my point is that sometimes bomber guys really earn their damage too.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2010, 10:33:51 PM »
lol Well my point is that sometimes bomber guys really earn their damage too.

Someone needs attention :D

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:25 PM »
I've only landed 9,000 :(
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #40 on: February 04, 2010, 10:49:20 PM »
How about a simple check box on whether or not you want the system messages to be displayed?
-MadHat
"Carpet bombing is 100% accurate, the bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground."

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
Someone needs attention :D

Before they made the change, the though of recognizing bomber damage honestly never crossed my mind.  Once they did, it made total sense to me.  I don't need my name in lights to enjoy myself, I enjoyed bombing long before the damage. 

But, you are stuck to your view and I'm not going to change your mind.

So keep being stubborn.  :lol <S>

Folks, play nice.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »
Before they made the change, the though of recognizing bomber damage honestly never crossed my mind.  Once they did, it made total sense to me.  I don't need my name in lights to enjoy myself, I enjoyed bombing long before the damage. 

But, you are stuck to your view and I'm not going to change your mind.

So keep being stubborn.  :lol <S>

Please explain the "sense" to me. :rolleyes:

Offline MadHatter

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
Please explain the "sense" to me. :rolleyes:

sense  (sns)
n.
a. Any of the faculties by which stimuli from outside or inside the body are received and felt, as the faculties of hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste, and equilibrium.
b. A perception or feeling produced by a stimulus; sensation: a sense of fatigue and hunger.
2. senses The faculties of sensation as means of providing physical gratification and pleasure.
a. An intuitive or acquired perception or ability to estimate: a sense of diplomatic timing.
b. A capacity to appreciate or understand: a keen sense of humor.
c. A vague feeling or presentiment: a sense of impending doom.
d. Recognition or perception either through the senses or through the intellect; consciousness: has no sense of shame.
a. Natural understanding or intelligence, especially in practical matters: The boy had sense and knew just what to do when he got lost.
b. The normal ability to think or reason soundly. Often used in the plural: Have you taken leave of your senses?
c. Something sound or reasonable: There's no sense in waiting three hours.
a. A meaning that is conveyed, as in speech or writing; signification: The sense of the novel is the inevitability of human tragedy.
b. One of the meanings of a word or phrase: The word set has many senses. See Synonyms at meaning.
a. Judgment; consensus: sounding out the sense of the electorate on capital punishment.
b. Intellectual interpretation, as of the significance of an event or the conclusions reached by a group: I came away from the meeting with the sense that we had resolved all outstanding issues.

Sorry, couldn't resist  :D
-MadHat

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2010, 11:13:58 PM »
Thanks MadHatter  :lol

First of all, explain the sense of showing kills landed for fighters.

Folks, play nice.