Author Topic: I need help  (Read 1018 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
I need help
« on: February 06, 2010, 09:05:33 AM »
After 14 years I think I finally have to admit I need help and would like to spend some time with a trainer.  I'm pretty sure I've got bad habits ingrained and techniques I've never employed properly.  Part of this has come from flying a Spit for most of that time where I could let the plane compensate for my mistakes.  This has made me lazy regarding throttle and flap work so I know that's an area I need to work on but I also need to work on merging, corner speed, E retention, defensive manouvering and many other areas.

While I've typically done OK in the MA's flying the entire plane-set a lot of my kills come through hit and run, buff hunting, etc.  I used to avoid furballs because I had a low-end computer so I'd hunt the less populated areas of the map.  I seemed to be able to win most one-on-one's there but the best sticks aren't really in those areas.

While my frustration is precipitated by my latest first round loss in the dueling tournament it's been bothering me for a while now and that just pushed me over the edge to make this post.  I watched the films of those fights over and over and could see some of my mistakes but I'm sure I didn't see all of them or would even recognize them if I did.  And of the ones I saw I was thinking if I had done it differently someone with a different flying style might have done the opposite and beat me anyway.

Anyone willing to help try and teach an old dog new tricks?  This could take a while.   ;)
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: I need help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:39 AM »
Never too late to change :aok

Welcome to the Turn Fight Mafia :devil :salute

more fun aint it :D
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 01:30:58 PM »
Eagl, I almost never encounter you in the skies, but I remember one encounter from perhaps almost a year ago very distinctly. You were in a Spit 9 and I was in a...well I can't remember but it was some less-manueverable and poorer climbing plane. It might have been a 47-D25. We had a 1v1 low in a canyon for about 5 minutes.

Just want to give you my brief impressions on your flying style from that one encounter.

Put simply, you didn't take your plane to it's performance edge. There were a million ways you could have killed me, low and pretty slow as I was, but you reverted to the safe manuever at each opportunity. In the end, that is what ended up being the difference.

So, rather than saddle up and chop throttle, you would opt to zoom past and then re-merge later. When I initiated scissors, rather than you taking a semi-risky crossing shot (only risky if you miss) you zoomed up and over instead. Despite the fact that we were in a canyon and my horizontal manuevering was very contrained, you never really established a "perch" from which to work down upon me (which would have been the end of me, because I had no vertical options due to my lower speed, and due to the canyon could not evade much horizontally).

I remember being very surprised that I emerged victorious after several minutes, due to the plane matchup versus a Spit 9, given our low and slow starting state. I was even more surprised when I saw the name of who I had shot down, because I knew you had been around the game a long time and your flying style was more consistent with someone "playing it safe, learning the ropes" rather than a longtime "pushing the envelope" flyer.

So I'm not sure if this was any help, just my observations from one encounter. Your overall grasp of the plane and E management was fine, better than average, but you lacked aggression at the critical times when it would have resulted in the kill for you. Maybe it was just an off day. But if what I recalled rings true to you, my vague recommendation would be to fly a little more aggressively, finish an opponent as quickly as you can, even if it means slowing yourself down and saddling up, because ultimately they may turn the tables in the long run.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:57:47 PM »
After 14 years I think I finally have to admit I need help and would like to spend some time with a trainer.  I'm pretty sure I've got bad habits ingrained and techniques I've never employed properly.  Part of this has come from flying a Spit for most of that time where I could let the plane compensate for my mistakes.  This has made me lazy regarding throttle and flap work so I know that's an area I need to work on but I also need to work on merging, corner speed, E retention, defensive manouvering and many other areas.

While I've typically done OK in the MA's flying the entire plane-set a lot of my kills come through hit and run, buff hunting, etc.  I used to avoid furballs because I had a low-end computer so I'd hunt the less populated areas of the map.  I seemed to be able to win most one-on-one's there but the best sticks aren't really in those areas.

While my frustration is precipitated by my latest first round loss in the dueling tournament it's been bothering me for a while now and that just pushed me over the edge to make this post.  I watched the films of those fights over and over and could see some of my mistakes but I'm sure I didn't see all of them or would even recognize them if I did.  And of the ones I saw I was thinking if I had done it differently someone with a different flying style might have done the opposite and beat me anyway.

Anyone willing to help try and teach an old dog new tricks?  This could take a while.   ;)

I'm planning on being online again on Sunday night and Monday night.  Probably from 10pm Central until 2am or so, if that works for you at all.  if not, list some more appropriate times and maybe one of us can figure something out...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 05:54:41 PM »
I'm planning on being online again on Sunday night and Monday night.  Probably from 10pm Central until 2am or so, if that works for you at all.  if not, list some more appropriate times and maybe one of us can figure something out...

It's a little late but I can squeeze a couple of hours in there if need be between 10 and midnight.  Meet in the TA Sunday at 10?

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 06:32:51 PM »
Happy to pass on what I know anytime you see me up....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 01:31:47 AM »
Keying a bit off of what Trotter mentioned...

For me, knowledge and skill breed aggressiveness. It's much easier to push the envelope when you know exactly where it is. It's much easier to take risks when you know exactly what you are risking and exactly what your potential return is.

Certainly not the only route to flying aggressively, but a good one.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 03:58:44 AM »
It's a little late but I can squeeze a couple of hours in there if need be between 10 and midnight.  Meet in the TA Sunday at 10?

Sounds good!  I'll be there...
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:53:38 PM »
Thanks a lot MtnMan.  That was great!  Now I need to work on the things we covered. 

It's amazing what you don't learn on your own.  I should have done this 14 years ago.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2010, 12:28:55 AM »
Thanks a lot MtnMan.  That was great!  Now I need to work on the things we covered. 

It's amazing what you don't learn on your own.  I should have done this 14 years ago.

You're welcome sir!  Lemme know if/when you'd like another session...  It'll take some time to absorb what we went over, and for you to discover where your "new" issues will be.
MtnMan

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 01:08:34 AM »

Best way to get better is practice.

Get in the habit of /.f Grizz, Dedalos, Seraider, Redd, Cursed, Ardy123, krupnski, junkyii, Agent360, Sunsfan, Dodger, list goes on to see if we are in the Dueling Arena.  If we are, chances are we are having 1v1s at a side field.  Come on by and join in.  No better way to get better than to get 15-20 quality fights in per hour. 

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 01:12:18 PM »

Yeah eagle had a similar experience in the dueling tournament. It was humbling to say the least.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 05:35:25 PM »
trotter, I don't remember the fight or the circumstances but if it was a relatively narrow canyon that might explain it.  I'm usually very cautious in those narrow canyons playing a vertical rather than horizontal fight.  That in turn gives me so much speed that I'm hesitant to make a horizontal turn for fear of slamming a canyon wall.

humble, Grizz and MtnMan, I'll take you all up on your offers.

Kilo, take the time to get with a trainer.  You'll be glad you did.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 05:58:28 PM »
BE anytime you catch me on just give a shout or we can set something up for a weekend. As per my own post here i'm pretty much on the same quest. I'm certainly nowhere near where Grizz is as a dueler. I think Mtnman and I approach a lot of stuff the same way but he's certainly more proficient overall then I am. From y perspective dueling is a very skill/judgement specific subset. It's funny but in my mind you can make bigger errors in judgement or take bigger risks when your -e then you can in a duel and get away with them compared to the same error in a dueling encounter...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2010, 09:28:10 AM »
BE the bottom line is practice, practice, practice and more practice.

1-5 duel sessions won't make a huge difference.

Repetition and practice with a skilled partner is the key here.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit