Author Topic: We have is so much better than I thought  (Read 1278 times)

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
We have is so much better than I thought
« on: February 18, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
I was doing some casual surfing when I can across a press release for a product similar to Aces High that Im sure most of you have heard of in the past 10 years.  So its a big whoo hoo press release about the new version coming out with an accompanying PDF flyer thing and a downloadable trailer.

First of all, your shouldn't let 10 year olds with no talent in making trailers make your "next big thing" release trailer...my 1st movie ever for AH had smoother pans and a better flow than that one...but more importantly:

I know that a massive multiplayer game needs to limit its graphical eye candy to a point to have a broad enough audience....apparently this game is for people on netbooks :uhoh  Its hard to believe that any time or effort went into this product in the past 8 years, because its screaming 2001.  I never realized how much AH has grown, and how much better it looks than it did years ago.  Sure its not nearly as nice as some of the current graphics wonders out there...but for a game that needs to make concessions to have a large player base.....its awesome.

This is one of the reasons I keep my account active, even if I hardly ever fly anymore.  I believe in the developers desire to make the best game possible.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: We have is so much better than I thought
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:09:58 PM »
You've got that right.  Here are some comments regarding that other game's upcoming release that I found to be really funny.

Why am I not surprised to see -thor- kissing Wild Bill's ass?
WB boasts the best ...
By: -thor-    Date: Monday, Feb 15, 2010
the real brutal truth is that WB has the best matched pair of FMs in the biz,
it has the best event in the biz, it has the only WW-1 game of its type anywhere,
and it is the home of the most serious historic minded players of this genre.

missing WB would be a mistake for anyone who is interested in early air combat and or MMOL war gaming.

This one is the funniest of them all.  It's rather pathetic that the owner has to go in and post a 'review' of his own product as though he's just a regular customer.  Don't ever recall HiTech or Pyro having to resort to such low behavior while they ran WB.

WarBirds Dogfights
By: Zoomie Wild Bill    Date: Friday, Jan 29, 2010
This is a real flight simulator not an arcade game! It will take real skills and will actually teach a new player how to handle real life fighter aircraft!

I play WarBirds online and the the community there will help all new players get to be great aviators!

New players will get 30 days online play in the WarBirds MMO Free and Free Training with human Trainers!

Come join one of the Online Squadrons and experience Realistic Fighter Piloting!

Wild Bill
Lt. Colonel, USAF Retired

ack-ack
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 08:49:57 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:14:49 PM »
Are they all using RR still? Isn't FR abandoned? Does FR even exist anymore (or is it like our AvA)?

I've always found it interesting that WB can still continue next to AH. I don't have any ill-will towards it as a game, I just don't like it nearly as much as I do AH. Very interesting that it continues to have a player base (a smaller one, but still) and run events. That's what friends/community will do for ya, and you have to admit WB does have that.

Not that AH is lacking. Just saying  :aok

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
FR last time I was on
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 10:54:01 PM »
You've got that right.  Here are some comments regarding that other game's upcoming release that I found to be really funny.

Why am I not surprised to see -thor- kissing Wild Bill's ass?
This one is the funniest of them all.  It's rather pathetic that the owner has to go in and post a 'review' of his own product as though he's just a regular customer.  Don't ever recall HiTech or Pyro having to resort to such low behavior while they ran WB.

ack-ack

wild bill?

i wonder if that's why we never see any hired guns anymore......wild bill was 3lips i think.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 12:32:21 AM »
wild bill?

i wonder if that's why we never see any hired guns anymore......wild bill was 3lips i think.......

Not the one you're thinking of.  Wild Bill was the guy that bought out WB from HiTech and gang around '98 if I recall correctly.  Met him at the '98 WB Con and the immediate impression I had was of an amazinhunk that namely got to where he was riding on the shoulders of more talented people.  For example, Microprose.  If it wasn't for the likes of Sid Meier, Microprose wouldn't have been anything more than a crappy company making crappy games.  However, if you hear Wild Bill tell the story, he was the brains and the talent behind it all.  IIRC, though he was a pilot in the USAF, I think he flew trash haulers and not fighters but again, if you listen to his tales, he was God's gift in the seat of a fighter.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 12:45:53 AM »
Speaking of Sid Meier, I saw that Firaxis has Civilization V in development.  It'll be hex based this time instead of square based.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 09:14:07 AM »
A few other tidbits from the WB forum

I logged into WB last night because the DoA and AA arenas were empty.
There about 65 pilots online. I was greeted by the Knight who say Ni!
Good group <S>.

One of the problems is that at times the purps out number the Gold 2 to 3 to 1 and this is causing people to log off.

I remember the numbers were governed at times so the sides would be even.

Side balancing....hmmm...go figure.  :D

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 09:25:15 AM »
Speaking of someone who came from wb within the last 6 months AH is a much better sim, and as far as people go the crowd here is much better. WB to me allways seemed lilke a frat house where every once in a while some poor new guy would come in to be picked at and harrased and treated like trash by the school jocks untill they left. Then the 12 people still playing wb would allways say im so glad he is gone!! Wonder why there isnt new players there.

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »
Welcome to Aces High sir! :)
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:37 AM »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 10:51:19 AM »
AH has always had the best game in town.  It's what the masses prefer to do with what they are given that makes this game less than it can be much of the time.  At least from an AH1 addict and admitted Furballers perspective.  And from this perspective I will say this:

HT struck gold with the Furball Island in the DA.  It has been long over due and while it is still not the bastion that AHI was, it still allows those of us that don't feel like flying 10 mins to find a fight which only lasts for 10 seconds, against safety dancing, high alt, high speed, no risk taking, radishcats to get into a moderately fair set of fights with mostly like minded warriors.  There will always be the radishcat type of guys in the DA FB Arena.  I was cherried so many times by the same guy last night while I was mixing it up against 2 or 3 other guys that I lost count.  But for the majority of the night, I mostly had some really good 4 to 5 plus turn/scissor, 3 v 1, 2 v 1 fights that required more than a "blow through the pack and take the best shot" mentality.  There were some really good skilled fights last night that required, quick reactions, quick whit and a bit of luck that actually pushed the envelope.  I think there is still alot that HT can possibly do that would make the DAFB arena better and potentially mimic the environment that AHI provided, but that is another thread.  The good news is I have see a few old timers back from the dead in there and I hear more will be joining us shortly.

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 11:12:57 AM »
I think it's time to cross recruit, get to work Skuzzy and Pyro  :lol offer them 3 months free to switch over to AH.  Of course they could do the same thing but we know were not leaving  :aok
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »
I think it's time to cross recruit, get to work Skuzzy and Pyro  :lol offer them 3 months free to switch over to AH.  Of course they could do the same thing but we know were not leaving  :aok

TnDep the majority of  people left playing WB  play because of old friends and other reasons besides the quality of the game. Special offers will not entice them to change games.

HiTech

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 12:14:49 PM »
TnDep the majority of  people left playing WB  play because of old friends and other reasons besides the quality of the game. Special offers will not entice them to change games.

HiTech

rgr that HiTech I don't guess I got that recruiting promotion I was looking for  :D
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep