Author Topic: Maneuvering flaps on the P38  (Read 6022 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Maneuvering flaps on the P38
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 09:44:29 PM »
me thinks he has forgotten that this is a game, not a flight simulator.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
The first 50% or ½ flaps was considered maneuvering flaps.  The current model has the flaps settings at 20% increments or 5 notches of flap represent full flaps .   With the current model you can’t set ½ or 50% flaps.  

There was a ident stop for ½ flap to help the pilot quickly set combat flaps.

There are a number of planes that could deploy flaps at any increment between full and none.  They are all treated equally in AH with 5 positions available.  As it is, you can deploy 60% up to 250mph as opposed to only 50%.  I could see a reason to complain if you could only get to 40% at that speed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:11:56 AM by Murdr »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2010, 06:20:59 PM »
There are a number of planes that could deploy flaps at any increment between full and none.  They are all treated equally in AH with 5 positions available.  As it is, you can deploy 60% up to 250mph as opposed to only 50%.  I could see a reason to complain if you could only get to 40% at that speed.

You only get the benefit from the first 50%, above that the drag offsets the benefit , you lose lift and the stall speed increases.  Combat or maneuvering flaps is 50% or 1/2 flaps, Not 60%  It's not accurate.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2010, 06:24:57 PM »
me thinks he has forgotten that this is a game, not a flight simulator.

I haven't forgotten that is not a flight simulator.  It's a air combat simulator  with what HiTech Creations call accurate models of aircraft. 

Aces High Game Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aces High is a massive multi-player online combat simulation centered around the World War II air-war. Here are some of the highlights.

•Accurate flight modeling of over 80 aircraft, vehicles, and boats from around the world.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »
Combat flaps gave the 38 8 degrees of flap and could be deployed at 250.  That's not much flap, but enough to give it some additional turning ability.  Keep in mind the dive flap on the late J and L only opened to 35 degrees.

I think you are reading the info to imply a greater amount of flap then we have already.  The combat flaps we have in the cartoon 38s are set at that degree of flap from what I can tell.

Basically what it comes down to is 8 degree of flap or less on the Combat flaps

Where did you get that 8% number from?  I’ve seen a restored P38J up close with the Combat flaps deployed and if I remember it correctly it looked like much more then just 8% of the flap.  When % is used they are talking about the percentage of the flap area exposed.   

I was ferrying a P40 and I talked to the P38 driver , he showed me the flap handle inside the cockpit and when you ran the flaps all the way out it took about 15 seconds to run them all the way down.   The POH he was using called for ½ flaps on approach and once the field was a sure thing the handle was set to Down.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 08:42:24 PM »
FYI Traveler - The website you get your stats from is NOT US government, nor any other government, nor any WWII historical website.  It's just a dweeb, like the rest of us, named Mike Voisin. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2010, 08:45:27 PM »
I haven't forgotten that is not a flight simulator.  It's a air combat simulator  with what HiTech Creations call accurate models of aircraft. 

Aces High Game Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aces High is a massive multi-player online combat simulation centered around the World War II air-war. Here are some of the highlights.

Accurate flight modeling of over 80 aircraft, vehicles, and boats from around the world.

It IS accurate with the information HE uses. He doesn't say where the info comes from and I'm sure he is also adding some concessions because it is a game and meant to be playable to everyone. As AK-AK about the auto retrack on the flaps.... heck just do a search on these boards. You'll find more post on that alone than you have found info on how the planes SHOULD be modeled.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2010, 08:46:37 PM »
Don't even argue with him sir.  His "accuracy" comes from a guy on Facebook. 

It IS accurate with the information HE uses. He doesn't say where the info comes from and I'm sure he is also adding some concessions because it is a game and meant to be playable to everyone. As AK-AK about the auto retrack on the flaps.... heck just do a search on these boards. You'll find more post on that alone than you have found info on how the planes SHOULD be modeled.
See Rule #4

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
You only get the benefit from the first 50%, above that the drag offsets the benefit , you lose lift and the stall speed increases.

The bold is flat out wrong, and the rest is questionable depending on how you define benefit.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2010, 09:59:37 PM »
Where did you get that 8% number from?  I’ve seen a restored P38J up close with the Combat flaps deployed and if I remember it correctly it looked like much more then just 8% of the flap.  When % is used they are talking about the percentage of the flap area exposed.   

I don't know what you were reading but Dan said "degrees" not "percent".

As far as where he got 8 degrees from, I'd throw out a guess like here
The P-38L has a fowler flap that is designed to also aid maneuvering at the 8 degree setting.  This setting will provide an enhancement to the plane's turning capabilities at a low cost in additional drag.  If you get caught in a turning fight, use of the maneuver setting is highly recommended.  The maneuver flap setting can be used up to speeds of 250 MPH.  For takeoff, no flaps are recommended in order to get to single-engine airspeed (120 MPH) as quickly as possible.  If a shorter takeoff run is required, up to 30 degrees of flaps should be used.  Maximum flap deflection is 50 degrees.
Operating Instructions

Max Permitted Airspeed- 460 MPH

Max Airspeed Gear Extended- 175 MPH

Max G Loading- +6/-3.5

Max Airspeed 10° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 20° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 30° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 40° Flaps- 150 MPH
Max Airspeed 50° Flaps- 150 MPH

Allison V-1710-111/113
Emergency Power- 60" @ 3000 RPM, 180 GPH (5 minutes)
Military Power- 54" @ 3000 RPM, 167 GPH
Normal Power- 44" @ 2600 RPM, 113 GPH
Max Cruise- 35" @ 2300 RPM, 63 GPH

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
You would almost think the entire EARTH uses degrees, not percent.

Go figure..............  :D
See Rule #4

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2010, 10:45:25 PM »
FYI Traveler - The website you get your stats from is NOT US government, nor any other government, nor any WWII historical website.  It's just a dweeb, like the rest of us, named Mike Voisin. 

The doucment is a photo copy of an original Army issued Operations manual.  I didn't take information from anyone other then an historical document.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2010, 10:54:54 PM »
Don't even argue with him sir.  His "accuracy" comes from a guy on Facebook. 

I didn’t consider expressing a Wish in the Wish as an argument.  Why do you feel that this is an argument?  I thought that people were just discussing the issues.  I simply made a wish that the flap operation in the P38 was more accurate.  If it can’t be accurate because of the player population it must be more generic then at what setting do you need to use to get Maneuvering flaps.  Some one has said 8 degrees, how do you set 8 degrees in the AH P38. 

Is 8 degrees the first notch of flaps on all the generic P38 flap  settings?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:19 PM »
I don't know what you were reading but Dan said "degrees" not "percent".

As far as where he got 8 degrees from, I'd throw out a guess like here

Which of these represents 8 degrees .?

Max Airspeed 10° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 20° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 30° Flaps- 250 MPH
Max Airspeed 40° Flaps- 150 MPH
Max Airspeed 50° Flaps- 150 MPH
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2010, 11:00:15 PM »
I didn’t consider expressing a Wish in the Wish as an argument.  Why do you feel that this is an argument?  I thought that people were just discussing the issues.  I simply made a wish that the flap operation in the P38 was more accurate.  If it can’t be accurate because of the player population it must be more generic then at what setting do you need to use to get Maneuvering flaps.  Some one has said 8 degrees, how do you set 8 degrees in the AH P38. 

Is 8 degrees the first notch of flaps on all the generic P38 flap  settings?

No, as I posted earlier, each notch is 10 degrees.  Also, I should have mentioned that the 8 degree was an early design spec regarding the F model.  It is in error referring to later models.  The G and later had the detent for deploying half flaps.