Author Topic: "Glass" gauges  (Read 3823 times)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: "Glass" gauges
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 10:24:06 AM »
Lusche was correcting somebody's (you) erroneous idea of why the OP wanted to have a multi monitor configuration.  It isn't about seeing through the gauges......  If you saw shepard's image of his setup, you would see his gauges are all on the lower monitor.  So I'm think the term "detachable" has to do with how the monitors can be setup to provide the OP with a more realistic looking setup.

Then what is the point?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 10:53:51 AM by LLogann »
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
This is really silly.  You can't got to walmart and buy perk points.  Rudder control is afforded on the cheapest twisty stick.  Trackir is just an elaborate hatswitch controller.  The triple monitor is just a change in aspect ratio spread across three screens.  Detachable gauges is silly since you would still have the instrument panel silhouette obstructing you view.  But that's what you really want isn't it? to get rid of the instrument panel to unobstruct your forward vision?

If you want full immersion with multiple monitors and detachable gauges fly MSFS.

Is it more about immersion than any real advantage, for me it would be. Watching the gauges, seeing the indicators where they should be in a sim pit. FYI you can move around to get your gauges out of the way already. You cant remove the frame regardless as you need the gunsight to shoot.

It would not be an advantage if done with any kind of sense.....

Strip

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 01:33:30 PM »
Is it more about immersion than any real advantage, for me it would be. Watching the gauges, seeing the indicators where they should be in a sim pit. FYI you can move around to get your gauges out of the way already. You cant remove the frame regardless as you need the gunsight to shoot.

It would not be an advantage if done with any kind of sense.....

Strip

Strip You hit the nail on the head!  :aok  :cheers:

on a side note for thoes of you who claim "advantage" and you want the gauges in the FOV all the time...you should request for zoom into gunsight feature to be removed as well.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:38:37 PM by sheperd »
I can build em better than I can fly em
http://s691.photobucket.com/albums/vv272/hotwire_2009/?

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2010, 06:18:58 PM »
Strip You hit the nail on the head!  :aok  :cheers:

on a side note for thoes of you who claim "advantage" and you want the gauges in the FOV all the time...you should request for zoom into gunsight feature to be removed as well.

Why would I want zoom removed?  Anyone can do it.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:34 PM »
shepperd You have some awesome set up, I wish i had it, but I dont.  so leave the gauges where they are for the rest of us  :D.  welcome to the game, glad to have you, but dont try to change everything on your first month here.  leave that for the second month  :salute.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2010, 07:13:20 PM »
shepperd You have some awesome set up, I wish i had it, but I dont.  so leave the gauges where they are for the rest of us  :D.
He's asking that you have the *option* to put your gauges on a secondary monitor.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2010, 07:15:02 PM »
No.   You're not getting what sluggish is saying.   He doesn't care about the Triple monitors.   He's saying "having a monitor dedicated to gauges gives an unfair advantage" and yes it does. 
having a monitor with a rear view would be an unfair advantage, i cant see why having gauges up would be any kind of an advantage over what we have now, you still have to look away from the fight to check them!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2010, 10:02:46 AM »
I can change to a rear view just about as fast as I can look to another monitor...

Again its not an advantage!

Strip

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »
WHOA!!!! that setup is AWESOME!!! mind tellin me what $$$$ you used? possibly monopoly money?

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
Not including monitors, PC or HOTAS  you could build a functional simpit starting @ $100 all the way up sky is the limit.
I personally have around $900-1200 in mine that is everything included...PC, Monitors, HOTAS, rudder pedals, track IR, TH2Go, 2 interface cards,switches, carseat from a junkyard and  scrap wood...but I'm just getting started with my build ( I have been working on it for a while now ;)) but still have projects going as we speak err type. I am building my new throttle quad that houses the RPM flaps and tail hook levers as well as the 3 trim pots.

I need to spend alot more time in game to get my final switch layout as I'm new to prop planes.. this Pit has been changed alot  started out as a Mech pit then became an F-16. After that I used it for a space sim called JumpGate. now Prop Planes and I love it so much the build will stay a ACES HIGH II PIT FOR EVER!

SEE my SIG below
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 12:07:53 PM by sheperd »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2010, 12:16:44 PM »
I always thought it would be nice to have a simpit with the instruments on a monitor in the pit and the views projected on a screen outside of the simpit. With triple projectors and Eyefinity or TH2Go you could have a widescreen view at true life sizes.

We may not see Sheperd's wish any time soon but it's exactly what this forum is for.

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
this would be on my wish list!!!!!!!! http://www.fighterops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7965&page=3
true surround gaming experience!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
+1

Might be nice to have this feature expanded to support:

Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2010, 06:40:41 AM »
those would be nice as well ...would take some saving to get em but well worth the investment! If they could support Glass then those would be no problem as well!

Offline sheperd

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »
HT no comment about the possibility of this in the future ?
and for you nay Sayers you could place a plain black dash in place of the existing gauges that way there is no unfair field of view. somthing like this
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 02:13:30 PM by sheperd »