Author Topic: 30mm rubber projectiles...  (Read 2131 times)

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
Re: 30mm rubber projectiles...
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 10:57:14 PM »
The 4 50's on the Brewster are far more deadly than this games 30mm's  :P
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
I have LIT UP planes with 30mm's and nothing litup the front of a B25h and nothing (then we both pulled up to avoid the ho,he hit my belly and it didn't end well for either of us.) :cry
Obama is the Energizer bunny of fail.

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 07:22:18 AM »
The 4 50's on the Brewster are far more deadly than this games 30mm's  :P
Funny...but I would agree with that, but I also think they are too good. I took 1 ping to my wing from a Brew and it fell off.

The only problem with the tator dud problem.....is nobody from HTC has commented on what it actually is causing the problem. That youtube film from the OP should be enough proof that almost no fighter in the game can take a 30mm hit and still be flying fine. Ive noticed that 109s take tator hits and just get oil/rad leaks alot :salute
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2010, 07:38:37 AM »
Do my test with .50 cal and instead of one shot at a time with a 30mm, aim for the same spots and hold 1-2 sec at a time for each spot with .50 cal. Bet the .50 will be much more dangerous per burst than the single 30mm round. Think in terms of critical failure spots and dispersion along the surfaces of the wings, tail surfaces, wing root and side of cockpit. Think about the vaugaries of Internet connections to numbers of projectile hits that can be transmitted per UDP packet in ONE SECOND.

100-200 .50cal per second over the Internet have a better chance of a pilot kill than a single 30mm badly aimed.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:52 PM »
Didn't have any problem killing betty last night with them though but they where mostly well placedshots or she ran into a tree  :D
Obama is the Energizer bunny of fail.

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2010, 07:14:54 PM »
Funny...but I would agree with that, but I also think they are too good. I took 1 ping to my wing from a Brew and it fell off.
Was flying around in one last night...  Didn't seem any different than any of the other .50 birds.

The only problem with the tator dud problem.....is nobody from HTC has commented on what it actually is causing the problem. That youtube film from the OP should be enough proof that almost no fighter in the game can take a 30mm hit and still be flying fine. Ive noticed that 109s take tator hits and just get oil/rad leaks alot :salute
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2010, 07:32:49 PM »
Seems like 7/10 of tater hits to a YAK is a friggin engine hit. But I suspect that is more with the design of the YAK than a bug.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2010, 10:42:22 AM »
Is Fuzing time part of the issue?

Cannon shells, which explode on impact have two factors that may come into play here. The first is fuzing time. A cannon round needs a certain amount of time after being fired to arm itself or it won't explode. If fired from too close a range the round would default to a projectile with the impact engergy of it's half its mass times its velocity squared. For the 30mm 90RB German round this is 42 Kilo-Joules. For camparison the Browning 50 caliber is between 14 and 18 kilo-joules. So an unexploding 30mm would have the impact engergy of about two-three .50 cal rounds.

The second factor is impact angle. If the round hits and too shallow an angle, even though armed, it may not explode due to the detonation mechanism not activating.

Any chance that he HTC models either or both of these effects?
Who is John Galt?

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2010, 10:48:53 AM »
i remember a pic of a 51 with a nice 30mm hole in one side and out the other of the tail.  round didnt detonate.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 10:52:15 AM »
Is Fuzing time part of the issue?

No. Fuzing delay is not modeled for guns. (Up a P-39 or 109K, drive it to a wall and fire your cannon  ;) )
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 01:41:41 PM »
i remember a pic of a 51 with a nice 30mm hole in one side and out the other of the tail.  round didnt detonate.
That projectile must have been sabotaged by TODT-workers or by italian trade union :rofl :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 01:45:01 PM by Zuum »
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2010, 01:49:33 PM »
That projectile must have been sabotaged by TODT-workers or by italian trade union :rofl :rofl :rofl

actually, funny you should bring sabotage up, toward the end of the war, the Germans were using a lot of slave labor. The slaves/concentration camp victims would frequently try to sabotage construction.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Nothing wrong with 30mm damage when I'm shooting 4 of them. :bolt:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 05:33:18 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2010, 06:50:06 PM »
actually, funny you should bring sabotage up, toward the end of the war, the Germans were using a lot of slave labor. The slaves/concentration camp victims would frequently try to sabotage construction.

The sabotage was very risky business at that time. Some slaves could do that, some couldnt.
That was not the issue.
Anyway, the 1st thread is still here.

Anything other than american ammunition is not modeled properly by ballistic point of view.

I understand that most "players" are american. I understand that most of incomes of HTC are based by americans...
I understand that entertainment is entertainment. Still, You have a choice.

I dont understand that kind of a fanatic patriotism which seems to be a standard in AH-base.
HTC is washing the history clean.

The germans had their best inventions...They were so good that americans had to rush for them at the end of the 2nd WW.
Unluckily, americans didnt won the race. Russians sent the 1st man in space.

Is this comment understood as a provocation?
 :rock :devil

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 06:53:44 PM by Zuum »
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2010, 06:53:12 PM »
Anything other than american ammunition is not modeled properly by ballistic point of view.

I understand that most "players" are american. I understand that most of incomes of HTC are based by americans...
I understand that entertainment is entertainment. Still, You have a choice.

I dont understand that kind of a fanatic patriotism which seems to be a standard in AH-base.
HTC is washing the history clean.

You have any facts to present?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman