Author Topic: the P-47  (Read 917 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« on: October 07, 2001, 04:57:00 PM »
Well, HTC said they would add some weight to the D11. It now is outclassed in the lo-speed handling by its later model brethren here in AH. I guess I just didnt expect to see that much of a difference. My jug don't get any respect.

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: -ammo- ]

[ 10-07-2001: Message edited by: -ammo- ]
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
So you noticed a difference between the 1.07 and 1.08 P-47D-11?  I haven't flown that one much (I actually prefer the D30), but it is only 300 pounds, right?  

How exactly does is fly differently now?

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
the P-47
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
Lol only 300lbs! like that shouldnt make much difference?

of course it will!

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2001, 08:10:00 PM »
It wallows like a pig, under 200 MPH and trying to manuever hard. Try a rolling scissor in this thing and if you are on the deck, you are in danger of augering, no room for recovery. What ever amou8nt of weight was added, it should not have developed the nasty stall it has now. I dont think its right. The D30 and the D25 has better lo-speed handling than it does, all of them should behave the same in this aspect..pretty much should be identical.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
the P-47
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2001, 08:47:00 PM »
I flew the D11 quite a bit. It was a spitbolt before that hated to stall and handled, well like no P47 ive ever flown in a sim. With all due respect ammo I think ur just not used to actually having to fly the D11 with care, because it was so easy before.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2001, 09:07:00 PM »
respect in your post noted, appreciate that.

However I have flown the p-47's in this sim extensively from the outset. The D11 as it was prior to 1.08 fit well with what noted pilots and authors had to say about it. most notably..Bob Johnson. Fly the thing now, fly the D30 and the D11 and you will see what I am saying unless you just want to disagree for the sake of it. It doesnt handle well at all.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
the P-47
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2001, 09:32:00 PM »
LUFTWHINER!!!!  oops... Hogwhiner ?

;)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2001, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Staga:
LUFTWHINER!!!!  oops... Hogwhiner ?

;)

I am trying my best not to sound like a whiner, but do want to express my thoughts. I prefer the D11 because it is my squad colors.

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
the P-47
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 06:12:00 AM »
The Razorback was for more directionally & laterally stable than the bubbletop, which should make the D-11 alot easier to handle.
This was somewhat rectified on the D-30 (and on some D-25's) with the added dorsal fin.

Daff

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
the P-47
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
Does the lack of a paddle prob make a difference at lower speeds? It should make a diff on the climb..correct? If it makes more lift then this would affect the planes ablity to keep itself in the air while slower?

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2001, 12:29:00 PM »
Ammo, I'm not sure why, but the new -1 Corsair also has some nasty stall characteristics in comparison to the later and heavier -1D, -1C, and I expect the -4 but I haven't flown it yet.

I do have to agree with Grunherz that the D11 from the previous version seemed too good compared to everything I have ever seen, read, or experienced in other sims, about this aircraft.

And just smile at the Jugwhiner comments, they're just having fun with you  :)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
the P-47
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2001, 12:33:00 PM »
-1 doesnt have some sort of stablizing feature the newer Hogs recieved I think? More of a dorsal or something? Cant remember what...

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2001, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Vermillion:

And just smile at the Jugwhiner comments, they're just having fun with you   :)

And you are right of course, I have dealt out my share of Lwobble remarks.

However on the topic of the P-47's, the D11 should not be anmy worse than the later model jugs in low speed handling. Some of how HTC and other designers model the FM has to be speculation. They strive to use all the data they can get but actuall data on how an AC behaves in certain situations just isnt available. They do the best they can. And I dont proclaim to know much at all on how they do it.

As far as how we feel the jug should handle, perceptions are like opinions, everyone has them. Bob Johnson, Hub Zemke, Bud Mahurin, etc praised the P-47 and never described it as a wallowing pig. The 56th FG was the highest scoring FG in the ETO and the War at the end when it was tallied up..all in a P-47.  I like to think that it would be somewhat competitive  in AH.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
the P-47
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
Ammo, if the average fight in AH was between 20k-30k, then you would see the Jug shine the way it did in the war.

But with most fights below 10k, your beloved plane won't ever show its true "strengths"  :( Same with the P38.

Offline Buzzbait

• Silver Member
the P-47
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
S!

The problem is we have the D11 without the Paddle blade propellor.

The D11 saw almost no combat without the paddle blade.

Yes, it came from the factory WITHOUT, but it was re-equipped with it almost immediately.

Which means we don`t have the plane which Bob Johnson and Gabreskic etc. talked about.

D11 also seems to have be messed about with in terms of its general handling.

It is NOT the plane it should be.