Author Topic: Silent Hunter 5  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
Silent Hunter 5
« on: February 27, 2010, 02:35:00 AM »
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
Re: Silent Hunter 5
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 03:27:30 AM »
I'm more owrried about them fixing the game play than anything.  Especially on SH4, it took Ubisoft over a year to patch some basic glitches in the game.  The mods to the games have always helped.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:09:40 AM »
My computer shudders at the thought of even trying to run SH5.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 09:13:55 AM »
Won't consider it until they remove the DRM strategy.

You have to be logged onto the internet in order to play the game... even in single player mode.

See bottom of this page

http://silent-hunter.uk.ubi.com/silent-hunter-5/requirements.php

Idjits.

:furious
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:59:21 AM »
Granted its hard to find a soul who likes anything DRM (especially if you're not being paid by the publisher etc), I think the Steam platform is the lesser of all the evils in DRM out there.  It originally had some bad rap and justifiably so, its been pretty solid for the last few years.  I honestly don't buy many (if any) PC games in the store any more.  A lot of the games I want come to Steam and a Steam sale will beat an in store sale the vast majority of the time.  I got L4D2 on black friday for $35 which was $10 cheaper than the pre-purchase price.  Just had to wait a couple weeks.  I just picked up Empire Total War, Medieval Total War 2 + Kingdoms, and Rome Total War + Expansions for $23 last week. 
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Pannono

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:00:46 AM »
My computer shudders at the thought of even trying to run SH5.
I cant even run AH on my crappy PC.
Pannono
Proud Member of Pigs On The Wing
8 Player H2H: 2006-07
MA Tours: 87, 97-113, 143-144, 160-Present
FSO: JG54

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
Granted its hard to find a soul who likes anything DRM (especially if you're not being paid by the publisher etc), I think the Steam platform is the lesser of all the evils in DRM out there.  It originally had some bad rap and justifiably so, its been pretty solid for the last few years.  I honestly don't buy many (if any) PC games in the store any more.  A lot of the games I want come to Steam and a Steam sale will beat an in store sale the vast majority of the time.  I got L4D2 on black friday for $35 which was $10 cheaper than the pre-purchase price.  Just had to wait a couple weeks.  I just picked up Empire Total War, Medieval Total War 2 + Kingdoms, and Rome Total War + Expansions for $23 last week. 

I don't have a show stopping problem with DRM, in general.  I DO have a problem at being restricted as to when I can play a standalone game.  The idea that I won't be able to play SH5 while I'm riding in the car, or in a hotel that doesn't have internet connections.. or, I believe a submariner posted on another board that he wouldn't be able to play it while on station ( Oh, the irony!! )

I prefer to buy the box at a software store ( Almost qualify for my own personal parking space at Best Buy ) or I'll order it from Amazon. But I will have the disk in hand.  Only exceptions I've had have been on games you can't buy the disks for .. or when I'm really being impulsive and I want to download it NOW!
AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
"stupid storm knocked out the cable/internet, crapola, what to do, I guess Ill sling some torpedos till things come back up... aww crap"

:furious

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:21:15 PM »
This should cut out some of the market share for UBI. They should have a stand alone version. No doubt someone out there will find a way to hack the game. Just opening up a challenge to people who like doing that sort of thing.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:10:17 AM »
What about the people who dont have internet, use satellite with restrictions or use dial up on their main phone line and cant be on for long periods????

Nevermind being hijacked in a car, plane, or boat away from the WWW.....

There are so many reasons this idea is crapola!

Strip

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 07:56:16 AM »
DRM hurts the legal buyers of the game much more than the pirates. The notion that people will buy the game if they cannot find a hacked version is silly - the vast majority of pirates will simply find another game. At the same time, honest buyers that are willing to give money are deterred by such measures, especially by continuous network connection requirement.

No way in hell that I will buy the game with such restrictions. In this particular case I really wish some hacker finds a way to override this DRM just to slap Ubisoft in the face. Damn hubris.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
DRM blows goats
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Ruler2

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:26:54 PM »
DRM hurts the legal buyers of the game much more than the pirates. The notion that people will buy the game if they cannot find a hacked version is silly - the vast majority of pirates will simply find another game. At the same time, honest buyers that are willing to give money are deterred by such measures, especially by continuous network connection requirement.

No way in hell that I will buy the game with such restrictions. In this particular case I really wish some hacker finds a way to override this DRM just to slap Ubisoft in the face. Damn hubris.

There was a hacked version of SH4, the KillerSub mod, it is SWEET! 5 inch gun firing at 1000s of rounds per minute, AA guns turned into phalanx systems, faster ships, etc...

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »
What about the people who dont have internet, use satellite with restrictions or use dial up on their main phone line and cant be on for long periods????

Though this is true, from a numbers aspect the percentage of the population that is prone to this (and play pc internet games) really is pretty small and by in large wouldn't hurt the bottom line for the game publisher.

I frequently check out the Steam hardware survey as it can give you some interesting numbers in terms of what kind of hardware gamers are using.  In terms of internet speed, less than 3% of those surveyed are 56kbps or slower.  But note that 22% were unspecified so this pool has a good amount of error in it.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2010, 04:29:20 PM »
Though this is true, from a numbers aspect the percentage of the population that is prone to this (and play pc internet games) really is pretty small and by in large wouldn't hurt the bottom line for the game publisher.

I frequently check out the Steam hardware survey as it can give you some interesting numbers in terms of what kind of hardware gamers are using.  In terms of internet speed, less than 3% of those surveyed are 56kbps or slower.  But note that 22% were unspecified so this pool has a good amount of error in it.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

While that is correct Fulmar it isn't the hardware requirements for me. Its the fact that some time I just don't want to connect to the intardnet for anything at all...especially a single player game...unless I am downloading an update.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"