Author Topic: Tighten up the blasted drone leash  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
Re: Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2010, 10:10:44 AM »
Yea, it seems a common tactic these days for buff drivers is to stay in their falling lead plane for as long as possible so that their drones spazz out and flop all over the sky making them impossable to hit and giving them a good chance at getting a collision kill on the fighter attacking them.

at the very least, smooth out how drones rejoin the formation..    if you do some crazy crap and your drones end up 3.0 away, have them.. in a calm and safe manner, maneuver to rejoin you..   that way instead of a spastic invulnerable UFO the drone would be at more risk of being shot down (not being in the formation) and would thus motivate the pilots to not do such aggressive maneuvering.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 10:23:44 AM »
Yea, it seems a common tactic these days for buff drivers is to stay in their falling lead plane for as long as possible so that their drones spazz out and flop all over the sky making them impossable to hit and giving them a good chance at getting a collision kill on the fighter attacking them.

That's not a tactic... they just fail to get out, because you can't bail from gunner's position. They just fail to get back to cockpit and bail quickly.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
That's not a tactic... they just fail to get out, because you can't bail from gunner's position. They just fail to get back to cockpit and bail quickly.

Didn't they change this with the latest version?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:41 AM »
No, you still can bail only from cockpit.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 10:40:04 AM »

at the very least, smooth out how drones rejoin the formation..    if you do some crazy crap and your drones end up 3.0 away, have them.. in a calm and safe manner, maneuver to rejoin you..   that way instead of a spastic invulnerable UFO the drone would be at more risk of being shot down (not being in the formation) and would thus motivate the pilots to not do such aggressive maneuvering.

Or you can just make the damn thing pop which would be even MORE incentive to not do it.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:43:56 PM »
I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(

+1  :aok   its a very annoying problem.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 06:21:59 PM »
I did not know P38s had formations enabled?  :bolt:

The only thing I have seen is lanc stukkas, so far I have not had the pleasure to engage with some acrobatic buffs yet. but the accuracy of the guns does get me down sometimes as there seems to be next to 0 recoil on them  :( 

I agree that the buffs should not be able to pull of them manovers regardless if the airframe could, as in the combat situation with the crew and ammo etc..it would cause quite a mess imho
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 06:35:28 PM »
Ive never seen the most advanced bombers of the miltary today do immelmens in formation......just sayin :salute

of course the ww2 buffs were more advanced. and could dive bomb and do immelmans.

this is for ghost:  think about releasing bombs from inside the fuselage at a 45 angle or even a 30 degree angle.  they would actually go right thru the cockpit window.  and I am talking about the b26's, lancs, b17's doing immelmans and loops.  yeah right the gunners wouldda love you for that, that is if they didnt get killed with all the junk inside the plane.  any plane can do loops, even todays largest planes can do one, just not a very good idea, lots of passengers, ded.  same for the buffs in ww2. you wanna do loops, I am cool with that, but the gunners should be ded and you would end up with a pilot and co-pilot, forget the navigator he's a gonner too.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
of course the ww2 buffs were more advanced. and could dive bomb and do immelmans.

this is for ghost:  think about releasing bombs from inside the fuselage at a 45 angle or even a 30 degree angle.  they would actually go right thru the cockpit window.  and I am talking about the b26's, lancs, b17's doing immelmans and loops.  yeah right the gunners wouldda love you for that, that is if they didnt get killed with all the junk inside the plane.  any plane can do loops, even todays largest planes can do one, just not a very good idea, lots of passengers, ded.  same for the buffs in ww2. you wanna do loops, I am cool with that, but the gunners should be ded and you would end up with a pilot and co-pilot, forget the navigator he's a gonner too.

semp

Wow. Just... Wow. That was so stupid my eyes heart, I now have a migraine, and I want to jump off a bridge into the frigid water of an Alaskan river.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 07:40:09 PM »
I like to do immelmans with my formations in order to precisely reverse course.  It's a piece of cake.

Golly, it sure is great that the flight model is so durn realistic!

;)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2010, 08:00:07 PM »
The BETTER solution is that if the drone gets so far out of position it has to warp BACK into place because of how extreme the maneuver is, then the drone should pop outright. Because a bomber formation shouldn't even be MAKING maneuvers that extreme in the first place.
Saxman has good medicine and his words make much sense.  I would walk a mile with Saxman on any day.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 1carbine

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »
If the head bomber can do it no reason the drones cant do it same planes I'm surprised they don't keep up better. :joystick:
Obama is the Energizer bunny of fail.

_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2010, 08:55:53 PM »
Wow. Just... Wow. That was so stupid my eyes heart, I now have a migraine, and I want to jump off a bridge into the frigid water of an Alaskan river.

why, please do explain, before you jump off the bridge.  sarcasm included.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »
Sorry to hear that you had to work for your supper; must be awful that BUFFs don't just rollover and lay-down when your fighter enters icon range.
 :bolt:
if its a B24 it does  :rofl cant get it over 350 and make any maneuvers safely
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46:10 AM »
I have advocated for years that planes which drop bombs at an angle, which would result in the bomb hitting the planes frame should take the damage for that.

But that is NOT what we are talking about..

We are talking about the ability, given certain death if we do nothing, of doing a dive then an immelman.
There is no WWII bomber that in the right circumstances could not, or would not do exactly that.

Now you could perhaps make a case that making such a maneuver should cause more separation of the drones.
Thus causing one or both to explode. You can attempt to make the case for the distance involved to be shorter.

But I very much doubt that HTC will at this point change it.
Why should they?

They need to balance "both" sides for gameplay.

Saxman already had the edge flying a late war monster like the F4u-4.
What more do you need?