Author Topic: Tighten up the blasted drone leash  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Tighten up the blasted drone leash
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
I'd be willing to beck that Corkscrew wasn't flown by 3 Lancasters within 200 yards of each other.

If you were a betting man, you would have come away a little richer.  RAF Bomber Command didn't use bomber streams like the USAAF did, more of a loose formation, sometimes with planes miles apart and didn't see one another until nearing the target as the stream funneled in.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 10:53:46 AM »
rgr flying at night in tight formation was not considered conducive to survival............. accidents happened even in lose gaggles

RAF & RACF crew never had any visualisation as to how big their raids were until the very end.  My father recounts his first (and only) daylight mission in late January 45. Sticking his head up in the top dome of the Halifax he was amazed at the sheer size of the gaggle dissappearing seemingly endlessly both forward and to the rear of them.

Yet he had participated in several raids of that size throughout 44 and early 45................  at night.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
Is it really that big of an issue?  I rarely see bombers doing these maneuvers to evade fighters, the occasional sharp decent or assent but no flips.  I'd much rather be on a flat platform to fire guns than spin around which lets you know that I'm not in my guns.

That being said I'm all for smoothing out the drones from warping into positions like they do. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
I've also noticed that the buff pilots (w/drones) have been taking advantage of the warping lately.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 02:52:15 PM »
Is it really that big of an issue?  I rarely see bombers doing these maneuvers to evade fighters, the occasional sharp decent or assent but no flips.  I'd much rather be on a flat platform to fire guns than spin around which lets you know that I'm not in my guns.

That being said I'm all for smoothing out the drones from warping into positions like they do. 

Gotta remember Jayhawk that this community tends to be rather Anti-Buff, so any and all chances to get buffs nerfed for easier kills or get them removed totally is usually taken.

I honestly don't get the warping or see where the hard maneuvering increases survivability. I can rack up tons of kills just flying straight and level. The key to owning fighters while flying a bomber is gunnery practice, you may not get them all but like fighters practicing your aim can easily turn you into a triple 9.
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 03:25:25 PM »
Gotta remember Jayhawk that this community tends to be rather Anti-Buff, so any and all chances to get buffs nerfed for easier kills or get them removed totally is usually taken.

Removing random warps has nothing to do with "nerfing" or being anti-buff.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 03:40:02 PM »
Removing random warps has nothing to do with "nerfing" or being anti-buff.

No, it doesn't. And I agree that warping should be looked into and corrected if possible.

What I am referring to is making it so bomber drones pop or bail or do whatever with the slightest maneuver as an anti-buff post. In other words people are using the warping as an excuse to add more limitations on bombers that doesn't  really help the warping issue.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 04:00:28 PM »
I haven't met a bomber pilot that uses warping to his advantage (not saying they don't exist, just saying they are very rare).  I think most bomber pilots, including myself, wouldn't mind seeing that issue fixed.

I've been getting that vibe with a couple running threads over the last few weeks.  A smart pilot is going to know a particular aircraft's strengths and take advantage of them, well a bomber's strength is altitude.  Those strengths can be countered with the right approach but when that approach doesn't fit how someone wants to play, they criticize the bomber pilots. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »

Hmm that comment sounds rather anti fighter.

I don't think the OP or anyone else in this thread has taken the stance that they want buffs easier to kill or removed from the sim.
However don't let stop your axe grinding. :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
Hmm that comment sounds rather anti fighter.

I don't think the OP or anyone else in this thread has taken the stance that they want buffs easier to kill or removed from the sim.
However don't let stop your axe grinding. :D

I don't have an axe to grind with fighter pilots, I just simply get tired of reading post after post of people trying to make up their lack of skill in attacking buffs by making artificial rules to hinder them. I'm the type of buff pilot who loves to engage enemy fighters to test my gunnery skills, kind of like 999. So I don't want to lose my little enemy friends.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2010, 12:39:05 AM »
I don't have an axe to grind with fighter pilots, I just simply get tired of reading post after post of people trying to make up their lack of skill in attacking buffs by making artificial rules to hinder them. I'm the type of buff pilot who loves to engage enemy fighters to test my gunnery skills, kind of like 999. So I don't want to lose my little enemy friends.

there's no artificial rules.  people will take a fighter apart down to the weight, speed, climb, positions of cannons any difference between that and in ww2 gets fixed, posted or discussed to death.  but mention anything about how buffs are not able to dive bomb or do loops without losing drones and its always called about how people are trying to hinder them.  buffs should not be allowed to dive bomb with bombs inside the fuselage or do loops without losing drones.  that's not clipping their wings its making them closer to what they were able to do in ww2. ever shot the lead buff down the pilot takes a while to bail out and your bullets just go right thru the drones? or they warp away when you are withing 200 to 400 to more than 1k.  it is just ridiculous.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2010, 04:36:57 AM »
+1

I would be happy if drones wouldn't warp around anymore in tight or highspeed maneuvers.
Aim on target... *warp*...getting into position again... *warp*... getting into *warp* *you have collided*  :(

annoying.

This and when destroying the center bomber causes one of the drones to insta-warp into center position...

really annoying.

I dont see why they have to warp at all, whether its because you shot the lead or due to maneuvering.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2010, 06:16:20 AM »

People complain about the gamey aspects . It doesn't matter what you fly.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »
there's no artificial rules.  people will take a fighter apart down to the weight, speed, climb, positions of cannons any difference between that and in ww2 gets fixed, posted or discussed to death.  but mention anything about how buffs are not able to dive bomb or do loops without losing drones and its always called about how people are trying to hinder them.  buffs should not be allowed to dive bomb with bombs inside the fuselage or do loops without losing drones.  that's not clipping their wings its making them closer to what they were able to do in ww2. ever shot the lead buff down the pilot takes a while to bail out and your bullets just go right thru the drones? or they warp away when you are withing 200 to 400 to more than 1k.  it is just ridiculous.

semp

+1 YES! kill the lead and the other two auger toward hard deck within 500 ft of ground, then suddenly are flying flat & level 1k+ higher and are shooting at you with all guns.... are these thing too difficult to fix? Can't they continue to fly flat & level until the pilot hit's the dirt dead or otherwise & remain vulnerable to enemy fire....?  :old:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
I must say something is wrong with the drones. I always have my drones chicken out shortly after takeoff. it gets annoying
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force