Author Topic: Best plane for high alt buff killing  (Read 5043 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Best plane for high alt buff killing
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 04:14:07 PM »
They don't care.

That's harsh considering AH is their bread and butter. Have you tried and I'm just not seeing the bbs post?
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
Bombers are given many benefits they never had, through the way AH currently models things. Formations, laser-slaved gunfire, all guns pointing in one direction, laser accurate bombsights, no engine problems, full throttle all the time (in the case of the B-167G it's nonstop WEP, last I recall) and because no bomber flew with less than full gas in the real war, and no bomber flies with more than 25% in th MAs (except the 1% minority that take 50% gas) it is faster and climbs much faster than historically correct.

All of these things have been brought up countless times, and in general HTC (in my own words, not theirs) coddles the bombers to prevent folks from avoiding them. A way of promoting use, perhaps, that flies in the face of everything else they've done with the fighters in the game.

Offline mantis

• Zinc Member
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:59 PM »
Here's the issue... "What if" you could only take the light ammo option (6 or 8 guns still up to you) on those jugs? Would you do it with ~300 rounds per gun only?

the 400+rpg option (which 90% of the game uses) were never available on Ns or Ms, and only one group of P-47Ds (D-30s or 40s, I can't recall) EVER used it for ground strafing duties. Given a historical correction of AH loadouts, would you still fly it? You couldn't open up so far out and spray away and expect to get more than 1 bomber, maybe 2.

I wasn't arguing the historical gun packages, I was answering the OPs question. Regardless, yes I would still take the jug, 6 or 8 guns, because of durability. The ammo wouldn't be much less, and I really don't "spray" anyways(just the first pass to get my angle down, sorta). Additionally these aren't soft B24s, these are all b17 and lanc kills, no rearms. Not sure if you actually watched the link before it died, but I think I have a permanent one for it now:

http://www.filedropper.com/p47-8buffs

Anyways, less rounds would have meant maybe 1 less kill, though I adjust to what I have to work with, so unlikely. 8 buffs, 1 run, and the people flying them aren't noobs to bombers/bombing. So yea, I would still take the p47 and still believe it very easily outperforms any other aircraft in game terms for pure buff hunting.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 11:41:30 PM by mantis »

Offline Black Jack

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 06:30:59 PM »
You are right Mantis but I already did an 7 kill run vs b24's, lancs and b17's pretty much like the one u posted. Not sure which P47 I had but I took all the bullets i could bring.   :D Big factor here was their altitude. All good when they are below 15k but one hell of a different story when they are at 30k. Fighters I tried up to now couldn't fly much up there, not enough anyways to be able to make passes from higher up so u basically have to outshoot them from behind. Doesn't take anything away from your sortie though. Nice job :aok

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 06:34:42 PM »
I usually use p38 (which was a bomber destroyer), jug, or pony. IF I have enough warning, or want to do a long range bomber intercept, I will use b25h
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
I usually use p38 (which was a bomber destroyer), jug, or pony. IF I have enough warning, or want to do a long range bomber intercept, I will use b25h

Do you actually have any success using the B-25H in this role?  I've always found that it's unsuited for this task (even though the 75mm is SO powerful), since it climbs far too slowly, the bombers can often outrun you, it's a massive target if they get you ranged, and IMO it's hugely difficult to aim the gun accurately enough.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 09:42:20 PM »
have alt advantage, get them far from your base. gives plenty of time to climb. speed matches most buffs while using WEP, and you just need more practice with the gun, and it helps to carry a gunner
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
and yes I have had success doing that.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2010, 10:54:24 AM »
I haven't tested in the game, but according to wikipeda its 37,565 ft max.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_Me_262

i have sources that say the a8 is operational to that altitude as well ...

but not so much in the game ...

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
What's the definition of "ceiling"?

There's a "ceiling" of over 40,000 feet on the Ta-152... But practically you're not going to be able to do much over 35K.

So maybe if you left it on autopilot for 2 hours it might get up to 35k or so, or if you spend 15 minutes gaining speed, do a burst zoom, then try leveling out again for 10 minutes, you might creep up to that 37k limit.

I think the limit on the 262 was more theoretical based off of the engines' performance.

it has to do with average climb rate, when a planes climb rate deteriorates to i think 1k feet per min it is considered to be at its operational ceiling 500FPM it is at its "max ceiling" although i have heard some different numbers  used by different testers ...

i am not positive here so feel free to correct ...
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2010, 11:02:06 AM »
it has to do with average climb rate, when a planes climb rate deteriorates to i think 1k feet per min it is considered to be at its operational ceiling 500FPM it is at its "max ceiling" although i have heard some different numbers  used by different testers ...

i am not positive here so feel free to correct ...
Service ceiling
It is the density altitude at which flying in a clean configuration, at the best rate of climb airspeed for that altitude and with all engines operating and producing maximum continuous power, will produce a 100 feet per minute climb.

Absolute ceiling
The highest altitude an aeroplane can sustain level flight, which means the altitude at which the thrust of the engines at full power is equal to the total drag at minimum drag speed.

Combat ceiling
It is the highest altitude at which an aircraft is expected to have a 500 feet per minute climb

oops there ya go BE knows i will go with his numbers ...

Service ceiling
It is the density altitude at which flying in a clean configuration, at the best rate of climb airspeed for that altitude and with all engines operating and producing maximum continuous power, will produce a 100 feet per minute climb.

Absolute ceiling
The highest altitude an aeroplane can sustain level flight, which means the altitude at which the thrust of the engines at full power is equal to the total drag at minimum drag speed.

Combat ceiling
It is the highest altitude at which an aircraft is expected to have a 500 feet per minute climb

Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2010, 02:57:12 PM »

Offline Eagleclaw

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2010, 03:43:40 PM »
I prefer the 109K-4 myself, just be CERTAIN on where you place them taters, you don't have many of them to begin with. Ta-152 is also a nice option, the 109K-4 is just personal preference, though.
The day no hoes would fly......

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2010, 07:02:56 PM »
I agree with Eagleclaw.  The Bf 109K-4 is my favorite.  I started using it almost exclusively last month. I always take off full fuel with drop tank.  Burn 1/4 internal fuel then transition to external drop tank.  I always attempt to climb to 30K then start looking for the fight or any buffs that happen to come along.  I prefer slashing attacks from high 10-2 o'clock.  K-4 has plenty of power to regain alt and catch back up to buffs.  Lancs I prefer to attack by starting at High 6 diving down below them and then zooming up to hit unprotected belly. 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »

Only a n00b would use a B-25H as a buff hunter.  It would be like using a Stuka to hunt goons. 

Oh, the P-38 was designed as an interceptor not as a "bomber destroyer".  The reason it was designed as an 'interceptor' was to get around the USAAC's inflexible requirement of pursuit planes being limited to only 500lb of armament (including ammunition) as well as a single seat aircraft limited to a single engine.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song