Author Topic: CV Numbers  (Read 1785 times)

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
Re: CV Numbers
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 02:25:15 PM »
It would especially be interesting to try and recon CVs when folks do the game-tastic feat of hiding CVs across maps because they are afraid of losing them, or the other game-tastic feat of parking them offshore nonstop.

In the former instance, you could report on country you've found the missing CV, or just say "Nah, it's 231, not 54," and in the latter instance you could see what the CV was and (if after the 5th time it's coming BACK) make a pre-emptive mission on the port it spawns from.

I like this idea.
agreed.  :salute
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »
All I'm saying is that there's no way we should be able to determine the shoe size and IQ of an aircraft carrier from 20K while dodging uber-puffy ack and CAP fighters.

Take it this way...

In WW2 a Japanese scout spots a fleet. They don't know what fleet, what ships, but on the deck is a BIG number painted in white. They can note that number. Maybe they have a list, from previous intel, and it says "Big white 12 belongs to the Lexington" (or whatever). Maybe they just note it for future movements and intel. Maybe there are multiple CVs in the area, and they want to know "oh, hey, this one was WEST of here 6 hours ago, it must be heading east!".... Whatever the ship is, they can use that number (to them, it is arbitrary) and gain info from that. They don't know the name of the Captain. They don't know the squadrons onboard. They know it's a carrier, has a big white "12" on the deck, and is as much of a threat as any other carrier.

The difference is they know it has that number on it and can refer back to it, whatever it may be.

So, same situation.... A carrier is spotted and it has a big number on the deck.... That number can be referenced back to a name. The number happens to be a big white "59" and you still have to cross-reference your map to figure out the port with the nearest number to 59. Note the CV itself will not show up on any enemy maps, so you have no way of knowing how far from home it is unless you get in close enough to read this number.

The actions are quite historical (you have to find it, see it, read it, cross-reference it), the end results are quite historical (you may not know the name, but you have seen the number, and if you come across another with a different number you say "oh, that's a second carrier!"), and overall everything about it is historically relevant, EXCEPT the number being printed on it.

If AH even pretended to replicate WW2 historical actions and war events, I might agree with you. It does not, so I do not agree with you. Historically we had 4 carriers after Pearl Harbor. On any given map in the MAs there are more CVs than that on each team!

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 05:02:17 PM »
Somebody get JHERNE a valium...

Yes, this is a GREAT idea, because it is INCREDIBLY relevant tactically. Knowing which CV you have killed gives you the ability to determine future enemy strengths in the area just like real life. Nowadays in AH, you kill a CV right next to a port, but because it's port is right there, you resign yourself to defeat and find a new base to attack because it will spawn right back. But it never does... Had we had numbers, you would have known that CV and that Port do NOT go together. It's a minor thing in SOME circumstances, but particularly in scenarios it can make or break a battle plan.

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:07:59 PM »
Awesome idea!!  +10 :aok

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 05:28:03 PM »
Even though there were cases where ships were misidentified I love the idea. Would make finding those hiding cv's easier, which is one thing i hate, and give the guys that want PBY's a small reason to ask for it.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:28 PM »
Krusty, well argued.

Vox, great idea.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Bronk