Author Topic: I´m staying away from XFX brand cards, read why...  (Read 1335 times)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
I´m staying away from XFX brand cards, read why...
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:17:17 PM »
Hi all!

MI wife and I were using same brand and model video cards. XFX brand NVIDIA 8600 GT, model PV-T84J-UDF3 V 2.2 W12/07, GF 8600GT 540M 256MB DDR3 DUAL DVI TV PCI-E.

Her computer  is in the same room as mine. We were there using them. Suddenly, POP! We heard a loud noise, like a children's cap gun or .22 shot.

Being a retired Flight Engineer, I knew that something electrical or electronic had gone bad... I looked around, no arcing, no smoke, no smell of burned electrical/electronic  components.

So, I figured, whatever it was that made that noise, it had stopped.

A few days later, same thing, POP! And I couldn't find the source of that noise.

Some days later, same noise POP! Wife´s PC shut down. Turning PC on, no video.

Went to check video card. There were the causes of those noises, 3 literally blown up capacitors...

Installed an old NVIDIA card I had kept here as backup.

A few days later, I was playing and POP! That noise again... I just went to check MY PC video card, and there it was, a blown capacitor, literally blown up, again...

Although I'm not an IT professional, I have been into computers since 1969 when I took some Programming Courses for the IBM /360 computer. Have been using personal computers since the days of the Apple II.

I  had never seen this happen before.

Bought 2 NVIDIA 9600 GT cards, Elite(ECS) brand, and will stay away from XFX brand from now on.

Some may say, bad luck, too much heat, etc. If it were only one card I'd agree, but 2... No, that's bad manufacturing.

Sorry for the quality of the pictures, They were taken with a cellphone.

Mutley

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: I´m staying away from XFX brand cards, read why...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »
Wow, I've never used XFX myself Mutley, but that is odd.   Especially the close proximity of the faulty capacitors.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 02:31:13 PM »
Everyone I talk to tells people to steer clear of XFX. On their 5770s, many say they have cheap custom PCB's now?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 02:35:33 PM »
I've been using XFX products for years...never had an issue...and I've seen bad caps show up on all kinds of hardware, you just never know when a manufacturer is going to receive a bad batch of components and use them...don't those cards have lifetime warranties on them?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »
that card has double lifetime warranty, so contact them for RMA and they'll give you a new(er) one for free. (could be a 9600GT)

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »
that card has double lifetime warranty, so contact them for RMA and they'll give you a new(er) one for free. (could be a 9600GT)

No thanks, will do as Johnny Walker.

"Keep walking..."

Mutley

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 04:26:04 PM »
I have had both nvidia and xfx. So far good luck ( knock on wood). But I like the lifetime warranty that both companies offer.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 06:40:27 PM »
Same problem with eVGA's 7600 card line and their caps.. I bet they're the same caps, too (kind of hard to read them).

Shoddy lot, and some vid card companies snatched them up on-the-cheap and popped them into video cards. Deliberately sold bad merchandise.

What's worse, eVGA knew how long the caps would last and set the warranty expiration to just prior to that point. 90% of the 7600 GTS line (and similar versions) of their cards blow the caps just after the 2 year mark. The warranty is a 2-year (almost every other card they make is lifetime or double lifetime!) Those that are "lucky" and have them blow early will get a replacement (probably of the same card!) but they are the minority. It's all over the eVGA forums and other places.

Here's the thing... if you're an flight engineer you might be a little electronics-savvy... You can get replacement caps and replace the originals (if you're careful not to damage the PCB) and the card should run good as new with no problem. There were a couple of webpages about replacing these caps and offering alternative ones that would substitute without problem.

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 09:17:31 PM »
I had a Nvidia card...blew 2 capacitors...replaced them  its run well for years...I dont remember if it was xfx  but just replace them

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 10:04:47 PM »
I have my old 7600 GTS sitting around. I plan to fix the caps as a test (it's already been replaced). Will be a good test run to see if a guy who can build cables but hasn't worked with PCB can do this without destroying it, eh?

If/when I ever get around to that I'll post about it.

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 10:09:55 AM »
No thanks, will do as Johnny Walker.

"Keep walking..."

Mutley

Then send ME the cards and I'll RMA them. ;-) haha

Seriously though, that's really odd. It even looks like they were using solid caps, and those are usually (usually being the operative word here) more stable/reliable. If it only happened in 1 machine, I'd almost think you were having a bad power issue (i.e. power supply over or undervolting), but in both machines? Really strange. Sorry to hear about your trouble. =(
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:12 AM »
You weren't running the new 196.75 drivers that Nvidia took off their site , were you?   I guess they are killing cards because of a fan issue.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 11:28:32 AM »
When the caps blow it's not a heat issue. They're blowing left and right because they can't handle the currents.

It's the GPU and VRAM that fries from the heat.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 11:54:08 AM »
You weren't running the new 196.75 drivers that Nvidia took off their site , were you?   I guess they are killing cards because of a fan issue.

No, I wasn't.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
My XFX 6800 has been in full use since just before AGP went by the wayside. That computer's been relegated to BOINC and backup server for the past month or two, but that card's still in there.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.