Author Topic: WWI  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
WWI
« on: March 11, 2010, 07:14:49 AM »
A few tips for those of you just getting started.

First off, I highly recomend starting with the D7, its pretty much the spit 16 equivalent.
2 guns, 500 rounds per gun lets you rack up several kills.

But before you dive in there, I'd suggest a couple of settings changes.
Esc, options, preferences, flight.
Combat Trim seems to do some funky things to planes without trim.
I know I had no luck landing one with it on, and had no problems once it was turned off.

Also the govenor setting is found here. I'd suggest turning it off.
Then watch your throttle in a dive. If you start creeping into the red back off the throttle.
You can get more speed out of your plane with it set to off. But you can also break your engine in a dive.
So you decide, but I'd suggest trying it both ways.

Just as an idea of what your looking for in a sight picture.

Get in close, put rounds in the cockpit, fuel tank, engine.
Only takes a few rounds to wound or kill the pilot. Fuel leaks run you out of fuel very quickly.

Watch out for collisions!
Combat is close and wild, not so much a knife fight in a phone booth as a switchblade battle in a suitcase.

Don't be afraid to dive in!

Last, please, leave your ego at the door, along with frustration, anger, and normal trash talk.
Friendly banter is one thing, but the second it goes beyond that its an immersion killer for the rest of us.
The WWI arena's are off to a good start but please do your part.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
Re: WWI
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:31:04 AM »
Thanks Ghosth.  Downloading now.  Is the hangar set up as the WWII?  Convergence?  Any suggestions or just keep it close range?
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:42 AM »
Also, keep this in mind about gunnery:

In the WW2 arenas, your rounds will hit the center of the gunsight regardless of your head position. Even if you're offset slightly left/right, when you fire you can trust that the center of the gunsight will be accurate.

This is NOT the case in WW1! If your head is out of position you can't trust the sight. I wasn't hitting anything, so turned my tracers back on only to discover that my shots were going wide to the left or right, even though the sight was sitting on the target, because my head wasn't centered.

This isn't going to be an issue for players who use snap views, but if you use TrackIR you really want to be able to turn it off when you're in your sights for a centered sight picture.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 09:47:17 AM »
Also, let's try to avoid ganging up on 1 guy. There are enough people coming in on the "conga line" that you only have to wait a minute until you get your very own "bad guy" to go at it with.

It's all about "the fight" in the WWI arena, let's try to keep them a bit even to make it fun for all. 

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:52 PM »
No convergence to set; just fuel load.

And to add to what's been said...
These planes fly slow and have "little" guns.  Get in close; generally D250 or less.  At these slow speeds and close ranges you need very little lead if any to hit your target.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
a few more from me

The dr1's gunsight is the wires crossing. its more of a somewhat pray and spray sight. if you want the most accuracy, line it up with one of the sights on the guns themselves

try to hit the fuselage, but also try to only hit one side of it and leave the other intact as possible. the reason is if you only shoot one side wings off, its more likely to spin out. however if you knock a wing off from each side, th plane can still fly, and due to less drag, can fly a bit faster. chasing one is a pain.

as far as landing goes, the method i find works best for me is the ditch and pray. jam the gear into the field, breaking it off and ditching the plane and pray the warranty will cover the damage. if youre looking to land intact to reload, I wish you luck.

always watch the airspeed. Ive miscalculated an immelmann and had it facing straight and level like normal flight except falling with no forward speed
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:33:02 PM by kingcobradude »
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
a few more from me

The dr1's gunsight is the wires crossing. its more of a somewhat pray and spray sight. if you want the most accuracy, line it up with one of the sights on the guns themselves

:lol just page up dude.  ;)

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 08:45:37 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:48 PM »
:lol just page up dude.  ;)

That is a D.7

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:03:43 AM »
The cobra dude mentioned the gunsight on the DR1 not the D7. Do you even know what i mean by "paging up" ? I highly doubt it because paging up in the D7 doesn't gain you anything. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 06:24:52 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »
The cobra dude mentioned the gunsight on the DR1 not the D7. Do you even know what i mean by "paging up" ? I highly doubt it because paging up in the D7 doesn't gain you anything. :rolleyes:
page up changes views standard right? I noticed a lot of pilots just stick with standard view and pray and spray.
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:57:55 AM »
Something else I would like to add.....Don't bother with Head On shots (the infamous HO as we all know it).  You just end up in a collision.  I've found that you end up in many collisions anyway.  The action is so close that collisions are inevitable and mostly by accident.  Be very mindful of your SA.
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 07:45:29 AM »
page up changes views standard right? I noticed a lot of pilots just stick with standard view and pray and spray.
i use a red dry marker to put a dot where the wires meet. Then page all the way back and then up. Use the dot as a sight, not the wires. The D7 forward over the nose view is not a problem.
Lighten up Francis

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 03:20:35 PM »
i use a red dry marker to put a dot where the wires meet. Then page all the way back and then up. Use the dot as a sight, not the wires. The D7 forward over the nose view is not a problem.
I do essentially the same thing, but rather then draw on my monitor I just put the cursor there at the begining of each sortie.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 03:58:21 PM »
those work too.
Also, let's try to avoid ganging up on 1 guy. There are enough people coming in on the "conga line" that you only have to wait a minute until you get your very own "bad guy" to go at it with.

It's all about "the fight" in the WWI arena, let's try to keep them a bit even to make it fun for all. 
1. its easy to evade one guy. I like more of a challenge that having an entire squad on me offers
2. 1 plane with the average pilot cannot land enough hits to kill before he evades

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 04:38:10 PM »
those work too. 1. its easy to evade one guy. I like more of a challenge that having an entire squad on me offers
2. 1 plane with the average pilot cannot land enough hits to kill before he evades

The idea is to follow/lead the other evasions to continue to land enough hits on him to take him out of the sky. Thats the point of learning all of these maneuvers and such.