Author Topic: WWI  (Read 2519 times)

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
Re: WWI
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 04:50:42 PM »
but the guns still suck, making the extra firepower helpful
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
you do NOT need extra guns ! What you need to do is learn how to fly your plane and shoot. I have no trouble getting a couple of kills by myself with those guns..... getting out alive well that is something different.

Thats the problem with most new players. You have to win NOW !!! You couldn't care less about putting in the time to learn how to play the game, how to fly, how to maneuver, how to shoot. The only way you think you can get a kill is to be one of 5 guys on a single bad guy and "hope" the kill is awarded to you!.

Do us all a favor, spend some time with a trainer and LEARN !

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 07:37:59 PM »
What he said.   ^^^^^^
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 08:23:42 PM »
As was said: Learn to shoot. It's no different than the MG-armed WW2 birds: effective gunnery is a combination of range, accuracy, the size of the hit zone, and what you hit. Scatter your fire all over the enemy and you're just leaving a bunch of little holes, which requires a LOT added up to do any damage. Fire from extreme range, and the rounds that hit have less energy and will inflict less damage. Aim at the rear of his fuselage, and you might tear up the surface skin but will have little other effect (although having control cables that can be cut will make a difference, now).

Fire at close range. Not only will this improve your accuracy, but your rounds will hit with greater energy. The limited firepower of these guns means you NEED to shoot close. You can't pretend they're cannon.

Concentrate your fire. Don't spray all over your target. Pour your fire into one point and it will maximize the damage of the hit.

Aim for something vital. Hitting the pilot or fuel tank is the best target against these birds. You can aim for the engine but your guns may not have the power to cause significant enough damage to knock them down. Aiming at the wings is somewhat less useful against these birds, but taking off one wing, leaving just the three (in the biplanes) CAN make lining up for a more decisive hit much easier.

If you don't have a clean shot and have to take a snapshot, fire short bursts to conserve your ammunition for the sure tracking shots.

Last night at one point I had 3 kills in a Camel, and still had about 175rds/gun left when I went down (stupid collisions....)
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »
The cobra dude mentioned the gunsight on the DR1 not the D7. Do you even know what i mean by "paging up" ? I highly doubt it because paging up in the D7 doesn't gain you anything. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I thought you were being smart to that guy and saying something like look at the picture you idiot. Then I corrected and said it is a D7 implying that saying to page up to the picture would not help the guy at all.

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 03:55:20 PM »
The arena message in the TA says that 48, 49, 50 is for ww1 planes but these panes are not enabled there. just an FYI.

I prefer the camel and DR1. They both have a nasty slip at stall speeds the Dr 1 is a little easier to recover than the camel. As for gunnery I have noticed the rounds that impact the wing area don't do much damage in snapshots which is mostly what I get. I usually try to get inside a turn of an enemy and aim for the engine or the pilot seat area. the fuel tank is a good place but depending on amount he might be able to come back and shoot you when his 5 buddies aim for you.

As for ganging as in the DA it is just ridiculous having 10 guys chase one is dweebish to say the least. Try to fly with friends and communicate with each other your intent and watch each others back. SA is critical because you don't have good vision from high and low front 12, 11, 1 o'clock positions.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 04:28:01 PM »
The arena message in the TA says that 48, 49, 50 is for ww1 planes but these panes are not enabled there. just an FYI.

Already reported it in the tech support forum
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,285334.0.html

They are however enabled at A1, and as far as I could tell only A1.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2010, 04:35:29 PM »
Sorry, arena reset again OMW to fix

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
I use the wire crossing on the dr1 for a sight. A person will have to practice their lead.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »
Thanks Ghosth.  :salute
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 10:05:52 PM »
Thanks ghost you're invaluable. :salute
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 02:26:43 PM »
you do NOT need extra guns ! What you need to do is learn how to fly your plane and shoot. I have no trouble getting a couple of kills by myself with those guns..... getting out alive well that is something different.

Thats the problem with most new players. You have to win NOW !!! You couldn't care less about putting in the time to learn how to play the game, how to fly, how to maneuver, how to shoot. The only way you think you can get a kill is to be one of 5 guys on a single bad guy and "hope" the kill is awarded to you!.

Do us all a favor, spend some time with a trainer and LEARN !

I just love and laugh at the old hand who lets the "irritating noob" wind him up.

Everybody starts somewhere.  Whilst most of the posts in this thread are aimed at being helpful, there are some who imply that the "game" should not be frequented by the lesser skilled/experienced.

The only way you think you can get a kill is to be one of 5 guys on a single bad guy and "hope" the kill is awarded to you.

Takes one to know one mate.   

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »
I just love and laugh at the old hand who lets the "irritating noob" wind him up.

Everybody starts somewhere.  Whilst most of the posts in this thread are aimed at being helpful, there are some who imply that the "game" should not be frequented by the lesser skilled/experienced.

Takes one to know one mate.   

Oh did I strike a nerve there mate?

Maybe I over generalize a bit and lump "all" new players in the same boat, but I've been here a long time and I've been burned before. So until a player shows me he/she is willing to learn, or take the time to get the information at least I will continue to do so.

I had a player this last week end explain to me he "didn't HO and was going to go into the maneuver he did and "why" to "teach" me something about fighting in a fighter. I don't know what his explanation was going to be because he made two passes on me and went for the HO both times... I have the film. What am I suppose to expect here? A little lost soul, down on experience not knowing what he's doing and making mistakes, or some arrogant little tool that thinks he knows everything all ready and runs around HOin everyone with a 30mm?

Innocent until proven guilty..... dweeb until proven a real player.

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
I agree with the ho'ing being an annoyance, although I will forgive the noob for doing it. 
I still see guys at the "front quarter deflection shot"  even though they've been here a long while.
So the noob gets ho'ed and gets told not to ho.

Unless the more experienced players lead by example, it will never end.

Can't tell you the amount of times I've "lost it" and thrown my headphones across the room because of getting a face full from a player who should know better.

As for the noob joining the gang of 4 onto 1, that is a common occurrence in all the arenas and it ain't just noobs.

I've learnt to adjust my WW2 game and barrel round the HO merge unless I know the bloke I'm fighting.
As for WW1 I'm still a noob mate.

<S>

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 09:08:11 PM »
I still see guys at the "front quarter deflection shot"  even though they've been here a long while.

Valid point.

- oldman