Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20048 times)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »
Great so far, looking to see how it effects things.
But I'm happy with it.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2010, 04:42:05 AM »
I love the new icon ranges.

Dint really notice.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2010, 06:10:55 AM »
I may shorten the Icon range in WW1. Full time radar exist so enemy / friendly ID is not a problem. The only reason I would change is simply to clutter the screen. I was thinking about the 2K range.

HiTech
:aok
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2010, 04:00:50 PM »
Has patch 4 reduced gun lethality?  I'd argue that it shouldn't be a problem for bullets to hurt the planes and pilots.  The problem should be getting the bullets into the planes and pilots.  One or two well placed bullets should do the trick.  The trick should be to place them well.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2010, 11:38:04 PM »
Has patch 4 reduced gun lethality?  I'd argue that it shouldn't be a problem for bullets to hurt the planes and pilots.  The problem should be getting the bullets into the planes and pilots.  One or two well placed bullets should do the trick.  The trick should be to place them well.

Version 2.18
======================

WW1 air combat comes to Aces High with the introduction of four new WW1 planes and the WW1 Dogfight Arena.  The new arena is designed for pure unadulterated WW1 dogfighting with no strat or capture.

These new WW1 planes use fixed pitch propellers instead of the constant speed propellers found on all the other planes in Aces High.  Because they can't adjust their pitch, the engine RPM will speed up and slow down according to your airspeed and throttle setting.  This makes it very easy to overspeed your engine in a full power dive.  You will know when you are overspeeding your engine because your tachometer will be in the red and your engine will begin to make a bad sound.  Immediately reduce your throttle and/or airspeed to keep from blowing your engine.  Alternatively, there is an option in your flight preferences for a WW1 Engine Governor.  This will limit your engine to its nominal rating and prevent you from overspeeding it in most conditions.  The advantage to not using the governor is that you can run your RPM higher than the governor giving you more power in high rpm situations.  The governor is defaulted to on.

The Dr.I and the F.1 Camel both use rotary engines.  The large spinning mass of these engines makes gyroscopic precession a large factor in how these planes fly.  With the clockwise rotating engines of these planes, a pitch up movement will create a yaw to the right, a pitch down movement will create a yaw to the left, a yaw to the left will create a pitch down and a yaw to the right will create a pitch up.  Throttle control for these planes will just cut out cylinders from the firing sequence so it will work in steps instead of giving you smooth control through the entire range.

Fields in the WW1 arena are heavily defended by AAA.  It has a max range of 5000 feet and you want to be turning around as soon as it opens up on you.  Don't even try to go into it. 

Ditches score as kills for your opponent in the WW1 arena.

The most efficient gunnery tactic is to target the pilot.  The bullets do penetrate so the cockpit shot will work from most angles as there is little on these planes to completely stop a bullet aside from the engine.  A single head shot will end the fight, body shots will take 2 or more depending on how cleanly they've come through the airframe.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #410 on: March 22, 2010, 11:58:23 AM »

Lethality was not changed.

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #411 on: March 22, 2010, 07:44:45 PM »
Thanks.  I just had the impression that planes were more survivable since patch 4.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #412 on: March 25, 2010, 03:39:42 PM »
Erm, I would just like to point out that most of the time I pop in, the WWI arena has more people in it than Early, Mid, and AvA combined, and usually equal/higher numbers than furball lake. And this is in an arena which currently only features furballing with four planes. I imagine WWI will attract at least a few more customers to AHII as well, once they begin to advertise it.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #413 on: March 26, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
By george this guy's got an idea!

A few notes. It would be nice if the flag locations appeared on the map, color-coded, perhaps as small dots:

blue = up for grabs, no country has won this flag
green = your country has already won this flag
red = the enemy has won this flag

This would help avoid flying to a flag location only to discover it has already been won by whatever side. Also, as more flags become unavailable the battle naturally gets focused on the areas where unclaimed flags reside.

Just a few more ideas to kick around

Biggles2

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #414 on: March 26, 2010, 12:26:57 PM »
Why limit outsleves to silly games? Lets take it to the next level: Hopscotch! :neener:

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/GAMES/other_games/hopscotch.htm
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #415 on: March 26, 2010, 01:12:58 PM »
Why limit outsleves to silly games? Lets take it to the next level: Hopscotch! :neener:

http://www.gameskidsplay.net/GAMES/other_games/hopscotch.htm

That's brilliant, Yeager!  :old:

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #416 on: March 26, 2010, 04:11:01 PM »
Cherry powerups over the flags would be a nice touch. They could make you invisible or invincible for 2-5 minutes. They need that neat cha-ching Mario Bro sound when you fly through them too.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2010, 09:19:44 AM »
the DR1 needs RATO, a MK108, and sidewinders.  then i wouldn't have to get so mad and mom would let me play more.   :bolt:
-AoM-

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
WHoooot!  Whoooot!

If you have netflix, you can watch this on instant download. 

Exactly what I intend to do right now!!!!

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/The_Great_Waldo_Pepper/560263?trkid=1359311

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.