Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20076 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2010, 11:21:54 AM »
...Because it's not the way YOU think it should be played.

Ain't that a bunch of pot-calling-the-kettle BS. Mind telling me why your view of what the game should be is more valid than what he wants to see?
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2010, 11:39:08 AM »
Look Saxman, I DON'T play the MA game. Initially, AH was about air combat; in the MA that is no longer true. OTOH, I'm quite happy to stay out of the MA and let the land-grabbing hordes have their fun. I am not the one insisting on changing the game to the way I think it should be. Play in the MA; peace be upon you.

No, instead, I just go where HTC has placed my type of play. I go to the DA and have a blast. It doesn't bother me in the least that the MAs are running a completely different game. I have my fun with other like-minded folks in the appropriate HTC provided sandbox.

Now we have the WW1 arenas. They are my type of play; HTC has deliberately made them the way they are. He could have added the MA win-the-war dross right from the beginning but didn't. I take this as a hopeful sign that they have decided to cater to two distinctly different player bases.

In the beginning, this game was to be about aerial combat. I understand that things evolve but the MAs long ago departed from the original AH. Check the date on this post by Pyro; it's back at the very beginning of the game.

Originally posted by Pyro

09-18-1999 02:10 AM

The game is about aerial combat and that takes precedence to everything else. There will be tanks and such in the game but they won't ever be the main focus.

Vehicles will be useful for harrassing the enemy and capturing bases. There will be a lot more vehicle bases scattered around the terrain than airfields, so the travel distances won't be a huge factor.

But the gist of the message is that yes, we'll be putting more into this game than airplanes but our focus of the game is still aerial combat.

Can you and your lot have the decency to play the game you want, the one already operating in the MA, and leave room for a different game that a lot of other people prefer?

Or are you going to continue to demand that HTC change WW1 to the way YOU want to play?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2010, 11:50:05 AM »
*I'M* not demanding anything. I play the game both ways: Some days I just want to find a good dogfight, others I'm looking for something more substantial. Neither game is superior to the other because they're two entirely different ways of playing. But just because YOU only want to dogfight doesn't give you the right to attack someone else who expresses an interest in seeing if something more can be done with the WWI arenas and aircraft than DA Lite.

You're in an online community of thousands of players with different concepts of enjoyment. Check your sense of entitlement at the door.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2010, 12:05:52 PM »
I dont get it with some of these people?......because four new planes have been added the game is suddenly going to stop evolving and developing.....tis about the dumbest line of thinking I have yet encountered regarding this game.

Pass my regards onto the devs:  Wonderful beautiful splendid work has been done here.  I can't hardly wait for the F86 vrs Mig15 set up  :D

Yeager,

I don't get some of these people that don't read the question and reply without having read the question properly.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:20 PM »
Except that we don't have hand signals, and often aren't familiar with our wingman. Comms are a necessary part of online games, perfectly realistic or not. Check six? Are you seriously trying to get vox disabled for "realism", but asking for Check six to be maintained? That's patently retarded.

Sorry, I also think check 6 should go.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2010, 12:26:49 PM »
Neither game is superior to the other because they're two entirely different ways of playing.

Therefore, since the land-grabbing war winnahs ALREADY HAVE their arena, it follows that the other way of playing should get its own arena as well.

There is no need and no defensible reason why WW1 has to turn into another hordewarrior, land-grabbing, war-winning playground.

Fairness dictates that both ways of playing have their place here.

I'm sure you agree.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2010, 12:29:03 PM »
Therefore, since the land-grabbing war winnahs ALREADY HAVE their arena, it follows that the other way of playing should get its own arena as well.

Isn't that what Furball Lake in the DA was for? :P

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2010, 12:33:46 PM »
It's also what HTC intended WW1 for apparently.

Why aren't you poor souls that already have the game you want in WW2 MAs crying for more strat at Furball Lake?

It's clear which people are demanding that EVERYTHING be tailored to suit them; it's not the guys enjoying WW1 arenas just as they are, just as they were introduced.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2010, 12:39:27 PM »

The ack at the bases is awesome, no vulching here chaps. Only thing I dont like about it is....when someone gets too close (nme) and you go to engage, you get mullered by it too lol.........(not a big deal, more funny than anything).

Wurzel

Ack wont save you at tree top level. Fuse followed my broken bird on the deck into the middel of my airfeild to vulch me on landing. My top wing had been blown away along with my under carraige so I RTB at tree top level and he followed me in. Ack didn't know he was there untill he crossed the tree line. I think all the ways to dweeb in the WWI arena will be found and implimented shortly. F.2b pilots have discovered their gunner can pick you while you are in a 1 vs 1 by flying along side and never being at risk especially since its faster than everything else. I think an SE5a would counter the F.2B's speed. And here I had been saluting and flying away after my opponents landed in no mans land......we need...we need...I know, bricks and hand grenades in our cockpits to finish our augered opponents...yeah realll dweeby stuff like that........ :cheers:

By the very end of WWI command finally understood the power of hoards of aircraft and no holds barr'd tactics. It's taken less than 36 hours in Aces High.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
I see landgrabbin, furrballin and every other style of play in the LW or the MW, the LW MA is just full of all you describe gang tards, base takers, people who drop hangers for no reason (not taking the base) just for points, furrballers just want to furrball, see everyone plays there way, what i would hate to see is the WW1 Areana's turn into the MA's, but thats going to be up to the community and HTC working together to improve it, not turn it into the MA's, sure people will never agree on everything, that we all can agree on, but we have to try to make it enjoyable for as many different style of players we have.

i love the WW1 aircraft there a blast to fly and ive never had more fun then the 1v1 2v2 fights that i have had in there, but i dont enjoy getting into a 1V1  only to be ganged by 4 or 5 other red guys, that style of play seems will never end, i even went on 200 and asked nicely , hey if you guys see a 1 on 1 you all dont have to jump in, all i got back was " oh cry me a river" of course that said was by the one of the "gang" that killed me. now thats a great attitude to have.I'm sure in time there will be two WW1 arena's one like what we have now and one with WW1 accurate strats or objectives, give it time.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2010, 12:55:53 PM »
"These fights are very intimate. How could you not like it?"

Usually cause they're not good at air-combat against sentient beings.

To compensate <wink> they redefine "online combat" in a mmpog as creating missuns
to bomb pixels and capture graphix while hoping for a hi-five from the server when it
announces  "yewe WuN teh War!"

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »
  Nutz I dont think he was being serious :)

Oh, OK. Sorry.   :)
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2010, 01:00:48 PM »
Why does it appear that all the fighting is occuring down in the mud.   Didn't a major part of the fights take place above 2000 feet or more?  Wasn't the red Barron killed by an infantryman rifle shot?  Perhaps it might improve the WWI arena if the local infantry  opened up on the low flying enemy aircraft.   Infantry lines were pretty much static for most of WWI.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2010, 01:03:15 PM »
Why does it appear that all the fighting is occuring down in the mud.   Didn't a major part of the fights take place above 2000 feet or more?  Wasn't the red Barron killed by an infantryman rifle shot?  Perhaps it might improve the WWI arena if the local infantry  opened up on the low flying enemy aircraft.   Infantry lines were pretty much static for most of WWI.

This is about the most asinine request I've ever read, outside of your last one regarding no check 6's and vox.    Go for the Trifecta!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
I see landgrabbin, furrballin and every other style of play in the LW or the MW, the LW MA is just full of all you describe gang tards, base takers, people who drop hangers for no reason (not taking the base) just for points, furrballers just want to furrball, see everyone plays there way, what i would hate to see is the WW1 Areana's turn into the MA's, but thats going to be up to the community and HTC working together to improve it, not turn it into the MA's, sure people will never agree on everything, that we all can agree on, but we have to try to make it enjoyable for as many different style of players we have.

I would actually have to say that some of the best and most intense fights I've been in have been a hard-fought, back-and-forth battle to capture an airfield.