Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20067 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
Think of MA furballs and how they mostly take place on the deck. Very few players have the willingness to go head to head at 12k or higher unless they have tactical numbers to hide behind.

I've been in one fight in WWI-Arena that started higher than 100ft. It was at 2k over the cons swirling hoard below us. With that much air under your WWI kite you can recover from spins and bad wing over stalls unlike at 100ft where half of our kills are the con stalling into the deck. So we went round and round up and down until I got a strong guns solution and my advisary pointed his nose straight down and ran to his 100ft high hoard.

Being the only green guy for 2k around now at 1k alt with a new hoard approching from 2k out to support the hoard just under my feet, I began briskly peddling my whirlygig in the direction of my slowly creeping countrymen. The whole time I was strolling away from the hoard, the hoard was strolling with me peppering my kite from 800 back enmass. Around the time I stopped counting holes in the fabric and finished admiring the wood through the fabric shreds, the hoard behind me all broke and headed back to their bigger higher hoard because my six countrymen were 500ft higher than them.

I really wonder if fights in the WWI-Arena will ever take place at historical altitiudes. So far I know more about what the tree trunks in the WWI-Arena look like than I know about ACM flying the WWI kites above 100ft. Lets see what I remember so far.....swirl left, swirl right, wing over wing over, look out for the ground, swirl right, swirl left, look out for that tree...hmmm nice bark on that trunk...wing over, wing over, dangit he stalled and flopped into me again............ :joystick:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2010, 02:28:37 PM »
Ive just been returning the wood to where it originated from  :D    :joystick:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2010, 02:29:45 PM »
Lets see what I remember so far.....swirl left, swirl right, wing over wing over, look out for the ground, swirl right, swirl left, look out for that tree...hmmm nice bark on that trunk...wing over, wing over, dangit he stalled and flopped into me again............ :joystick:

In fairness, all of us are WWI two-weekers.

What I do like about the WWI arenas is that advanced ACM is observable.

The "How did he do that?" moments in the LWMA are epiphanies in the WWI arena.  With the slower speeds and shorter distances, a newer player can actually *see* how they are getting beat.

While these planes may turn on a dime, comparatively, the endless luftberry is not a successful tactic against most players in either arena - that deficiency is simply magnified at slower speed - and it can only be good for AH as a whole if an increasing number of players develop some real ATA ability beyond HO, run, rinse, repeat.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2010, 02:33:59 PM »
it is new and people are just checking it out.  I would give it at least several weeks before expecting any sort of collective player strat to mature. 
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2010, 02:53:49 PM »
There was little base capture going on in WWI. Maybe some trenches in the middle for those want to move mud. Shouldn't affect the furballers but could offer a mechanism for the more goal oriented.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2010, 03:07:50 PM »
Well theres scores now in the WW I arena. BUMMER :( Would rather not see a stat. I mean if you really want to see them for WW I theres alwas the stat page.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2010, 03:10:41 PM »
its going to be hard to sort them out for abit, with all the crashing into each other, and people getting proxies, its hard to really tell.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2010, 07:28:43 PM »
Actually, if you thought about it for a minute, you're the one who doesn't want the game played any other way than what you think is fun.

You have all that win-the-war crap along with your other oh-so-fantastic ideas already available to you in the WW2 arenas. You HAVE the game you want; it's played there in WW2.

Your problem is that now there is a NEW arena with a different game. Actually, it's the game as it was played at the very beginning of AH, before the dross you love was added. The old straight up air combat, which is what attracted the first cadre of players, enabled HiTech Creations to flourish as a company, has become new again.

And you want to change it. Because it's not the way YOU think it should be played.

Whew... alright, taking taking a deep breath for myself.

Okay.

I believe you've misread my posts, or started reading them with an expectation about what I was saying.  I don't believe I said it SHOULD be changed but rather that I believed it WOULD be changed.  **warning, personal opionion ahead** I don't think the arena will survive as a furball arena. I very well may be proven wrong in the future, at which time you are welcome to stick your tongue out at me and tell me I was wrong.

I have been trying to word my posts as neutral as possible, mostly asking questions and making observations.  If I didn't do that, I apologize.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2010, 07:53:14 AM »
For those who don't remember Hitech created Dawn of Aces...the WWI version of Warbirds. We started out with a small plane set and pretty much the same simple gameplay we have now. Eventually more planes were added..artillery,  Zeppelins
for spotting  and ranging artillery etc.

I think we'll  find that things will develop here in a similar fashion.

Some of you folks crack me up. Try reading the above ONE MORE time.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
I don't know if I care to see base capture,  but I would like to see base raids possible.  They didn't
capture fields with troop drops in WWI, but they quite often raided, strafed and bombed each others field.

We were having a pretty enjoyable evening last night but it ended crappy.  They would simply NOT leave their ack sphere.  We circled and circled at the mid point and they wouldn't meet us.  They just orbited in their ack-o-death.  Eventually people just impatient and inched over until we were fighting in their ack.  Half the deaths were due to ack.

If its going to be like that, we should have been able to just start de-acking and vulching and bombing thier tents into dust.  Not to capture it but just forthe principle of the thing.

Get rid of the ack-o=death.  Add a couple of light auto-ack and manned ack.  Give us small bomb loadouts (2x20lb?).

If the weenies won't come out of the ack, at least make it worth it to chase them into it.

IMHO,
Wab
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 09:48:08 AM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
Whew... alright, taking taking a deep breath for myself.

Okay.

I believe you've misread my posts, or started reading them with an expectation about what I was saying.  I don't believe I said it SHOULD be changed but rather that I believed it WOULD be changed.  **warning, personal opionion ahead** I don't think the arena will survive as a furball arena. I very well may be proven wrong in the future, at which time you are welcome to stick your tongue out at me and tell me I was wrong.

I have been trying to word my posts as neutral as possible, mostly asking questions and making observations.  If I didn't do that, I apologize.

Toad's post was spot on.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
Toad's post was spot on. 

What an excellent contribution to the conversation, would you like to share why you think that?

Folks, play nice.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2010, 10:37:16 AM »
What an excellent contribution to the conversation, would you like to share why you think that?

It contributed more to this thread than your snide remark.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2010, 10:47:20 AM »
It contributed more to this thread than your snide remark.   

All I'm wanting is a little explanation as to why you think Toad was right.  Now I'm being dead serious in saying that if you think I've been saying everyone has to play my way, call me out on it.  Pull up any of my quotes in this thread and I'll discuss them or if necessary, admit I was wrong :eek:  But just saying 'your opionion is wrong' is just ridiculous.

Folks, play nice.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2010, 10:49:50 AM »

However, I don't believe the arena will be able to remain popular with it's current set-up (i.e. furballs).  I'm sure HTC has some plan (I hope) for future development or expansion of WWI but I don't recall anything being said about it.  So, my question is, what do YOU think should be done to keep the WWI arenas from becoming a no man's land?  Or why do you believe the arena would be able to stand as is?

Should it be developed similar to current WWII arenas, base takes, bombers, etc?  Is WWI GV fighting really a viable concept to pursue? 

A lot of questions, just a discussion on the future of it.  Obviously it's still very early and there are a lot of bugs and minor issue to work out first, I'm just looking at the big picture.

It can stay as it is with more aircraft and with some fleshing out of what the front lines are so the battle doesnt push back to the radar puffy ack so fast.
I think it should be able to stay as it is because it is fun.
I dont think GVs, aircraft or base taking make any sense, if you tried to think about it instead of just posting this thread, you would see the same thing. Is he going to make calvary?  Or will the guys walk to the base? Maybe tunnel?

So, new planes. Some clouds, Different icon rules. Different implementation of the front lines and the puffy ack. the ability to ditch, walk back to base and get a new plane.
Really the most annoying thing about your post other then your declaration after 3 hours of the arena being up that it will die as it is. Is that you provide no real thought into what your proposing.  
And if you put that thought into it, you wouldn't have proposed it.