Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20072 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
No kinda like i said 2 arena's, leave one just as it is now the only changes would be the addition of new fighter planes, the second would be something like i suggested and others have, whatever way they evolve into is going to be up or the fault of the players in those arena's, like i have always said and always will, theres such a cross mixture of playing styles all trying to play there way. everyone have a good day

I could live with that.  :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2010, 02:55:40 PM »
Here's a funny little experiment.  Up a Camel in the DA.  Just put it on autopilot and point it toward the middle of turd lake.  See how long it takes for some tard to pick you in his still free uber p51d.

This is the mindset of the people we're dealing with here.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2010, 03:11:40 PM »
It's just a matter of knowing your history.

Well I do know my history.  Back in AW (first version) there were GV's and bombers.  There were strats for the bombers to go after which had a minimal impact on the game (except the Spit factory) and only three capturable bases on the European map.  I don't remember anyone complaining about the bombers or the GV's back then and the furballs were much like the current WWI arenas.  What I'm proposing would have less impact than back then.

Again I don't see a downside as long as HT sticks to limiting the impact on the fighter game.  Ultimately that would be up to him, not you or I.  I think everyone could coexist in a limited environment yet still let everyone play in a way that's expanded over the current method.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2010, 03:21:00 PM »
Well I do know my history.  Back in AW (first version) there were GV's and bombers.  There were strats for the bombers to go after which had a minimal impact on the game (except the Spit factory) and only three capturable bases on the European map.  I don't remember anyone complaining about the bombers or the GV's back then and the furballs were much like the current WWI arenas.  What I'm proposing would have less impact than back then.

Again I don't see a downside as long as HT sticks to limiting the impact on the fighter game.  Ultimately that would be up to him, not you or I.  I think everyone could coexist in a limited environment yet still let everyone play in a way that's expanded over the current method.

The problem with your AirWarrior example is that AirWarrior arena play evolved, just like AH arena play evolved. It eventually got to the point where arena play in AW was dominated by the win the war crowd. We haven't seen that happen in Aces High yet.....oh wait......
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2010, 04:13:05 PM »
Here's a funny little experiment.  Up a Camel in the DA.  Just put it on autopilot and point it toward the middle of turd lake.  See how long it takes for some tard to pick you in his still free uber p51d.

This is the mindset of the people we're dealing with here.

Sorry to disagree , but you would more likely be jumped by 1 p51, 2 tempests, 2 Chogs and a zeke.
I come from a land downunder

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2010, 04:14:45 PM »

Sorry to disagree , but you would more likely be jumped by 1 p51, 2 tempests, 2 Chogs and a zeke.
Perked planes are now perked in the DA.  :x
Or at least they were for a couple days right after 2.18 came out.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2010, 04:37:29 PM »
One point I'd make about WWI is that the aircraft played a huge role in the war not ending.  Any gamey mechanism to have the aircraft win the war would be silly in the extreme.

About the only strategic mechanism I could see for WWI stuff would be photo-recon missions, but what effect they'd have on the game I can't imagine.  They certainly wouldn't win the war, as their main effect was to make enemy movements all known, blocking any ability for either side to gain a real advantage.  Maybe the guys flying the photo-recon missions could get points or something, not that the points would do anything in the game, just help their rankings.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2010, 05:03:33 PM »
Well I do know my history.

If so, you understand these seemingly innocuous ideas will evolve into the morass that is the MA.

Back in AW (first version) there were GV's and bombers.  There were strats for the bombers to go after which had a minimal impact on the game (except the Spit factory) and only three capturable bases on the European map.  I don't remember anyone complaining about the bombers or the GV's back then and the furballs were much like the current WWI arenas.  What I'm proposing would have less impact than back then.

It was an Atoll map with three bases on an island in the middle. Each country had an uncapturable big island of their own. The GVs were ONLY in the middle. Bombers did have absolutely minimal effect on gameplay, although they were fun to fly because you could put so many live gunners in them.

It was a great game; if you think about it, you'll understand why. It was great because it was focused on the fight. IIRC, the Spit factory even popped back up in 15 minutes. So everything besides fighting in airplanes was a definitely peripheral, minor part of the gameplay. THAT'S why it was so good.

If we went back to that exact model, map and all, here I'd have no complaints at all.

However, as Elfie pointed out already, AW evolved too. It evolved so well that it died from lack of interest in 2001. Sorta the same way the MAs are evolving.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 05:26:46 PM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2010, 05:16:17 PM »
I'm all for the cherry power-ups if my camel makes a gulping sound when it eats them.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
It was an Atoll map with three bases on an island in the middle. Each country had an uncapturable big island of their own. The GVs were ONLY in the middle.

GV's were available in each country near the big center lake but could be driven over the river bridges into the other counties.  I remember driving GV's from AZ land to CZ land and flattening I think it was C5 IIRC.  You could flatten a base but couldn't capture it at the time (except those three bases).

It evolved so well that it died from lack of interest in 2001. Sorta the same way the MAs are evolving.

AW didn't die do to lack of interest.  It died because EA bought it and killed it.  No other reason.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline LesterBoffo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #160 on: March 13, 2010, 06:13:11 PM »

Make the "second" arena a 150X150 kilometer square of Central Flanders, with Arras and Cambrai near the center, with the late 1917 no-man's land doing it's sweeping "S" turn down the middle.  You can have most of the airfields that were historically significant close to the front, and yet have room on the edges for bomber/obs squad airfields for those that like to take the long scenic route to their targets.  You've got the Somme valley to the south, and Vimy Ridge and Lille to the North.  It's fairly accurate historically, and it's got enough windiness to the front that it doesn't get too boring.

Just as a reminder, Most observation balloon stations were operated somewhat back from the front about 5 to 10 kilometers.  One also needs to remember that the prevailing wind on the Western front was predominately from the West and favored the Germans, who flew mainly an aggressive defensive strategy.  There were never any Allied airfield raids made by German  Fighter Squads, and there were fairly little Entente initiated, German airfield attacks.

If any of you remember playing RedBaron3D, the quickest way to loose most of your mission's squad mates was to do an airfield strafe and low level bombing.  The MG nests and Flack will murder most of the squad.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: March 13, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
AW didn't die do to lack of interest.  It died because EA bought it and killed it.  No other reason.

AW no longer had a large enough player base, so EA killed it.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #162 on: March 13, 2010, 06:21:31 PM »

No, same player base just not "big" enough for EA's greed
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #163 on: March 13, 2010, 06:23:33 PM »

At the time it closed, AW had EA's 2nd largest subscription base at little under 40,000 (38,000 IIC).  Only UO had more subscribers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: March 13, 2010, 06:47:02 PM »
At the time it closed, AW had EA's 2nd largest subscription base at little under 40,000 (38,000 IIC).  Only UO had more subscribers.

ack-ack

I find that hard to believe.