Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20088 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #165 on: March 13, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
AW no longer had a large enough player base, so EA killed it.
That last big patch was a colossal screwup (map gridlines were even ruined) and apparently, they had no more money allocated to pay whoever wrote the patch...game was totally screwed, folks knew it, and left in droves
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #166 on: March 13, 2010, 10:07:41 PM »
I find that hard to believe.

I don't.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: March 13, 2010, 10:31:29 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC, separate WWI "Main Arenas" and WWI Dueling Arenas is not a bad compromise, and one I'd have no problems with. Would it really have been so hard to suggest this option in the first place instead of just screaming "NO STRATEGERY!!!!!"? Furballers that don't want to play with objectives at all can go to one and let the guys who want whatever sort of objective-based play HTC would implement in WWI can go to the other.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: March 13, 2010, 11:41:35 PM »
BACK ON TOPIC, separate WWI "Main Arenas" and WWI Dueling Arenas is not a bad compromise, and one I'd have no problems with. Would it really have been so hard to suggest this option in the first place instead of just screaming "NO STRATEGERY!!!!!"? Furballers that don't want to play with objectives at all can go to one and let the guys who want whatever sort of objective-based play HTC would implement in WWI can go to the other.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,285214.msg3611828.html#msg3611828

I suppose you missed this post?

It seems to me that the one who started this thread and the ones who are making the most noise in it are the ones who seek change in these arenas??  For some reason it's not enough to leave well enough alone and seek a WW1 arena with strat...  You want to CHANGE the existing arenas and FORCE everyone to play YOUR game YOUR way.  BUT...  Instead of facing and accepting you shortcoming (the need to micro manage and continuously scream "LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME") you wish to FORCE everyone who doesn't agree with your point of view to just go along with your point of view.  Because.... Well....  Because...  You know what's best for all of us and we would do well to just let the smart people steer the boat, right?

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #169 on: March 14, 2010, 12:10:52 AM »
I still haven't seen a viable strategy game suggested for WW1.
Will the troops repel out of zepplins? Will they walk to the enemy base?
Will the jabos drop their 100kg bomb load and blow up the enemy tent hangers?

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #170 on: March 14, 2010, 12:14:19 AM »
I still haven't seen a viable strategy game suggested for WW1.
Will the troops repel out of zepplins? Will they walk to the enemy base?
Will the jabos drop their 100kg bomb load and blow up the enemy tent hangers?

Leave my observation balloon alone man!!!!!
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: March 14, 2010, 12:21:13 AM »
We don't want a dueling arena because what you end up with is a little bitty Furball Lake like we have in the DA.

What we want is a real map...gee, like what we have in WW1 right now. With terrain features and a few bases; at least more than 3 bases. Canyons, trees, buildings, hills...terrain. We don't need cherry, grape and banana powerups, or wars to win. What we need is a place to fight that's like a regular arena.

Then no one would care if you had your cherry powerup arena.

Simple see?

But Sluggish has a good point. You guys are the least tolerant; it's just like you in this thread. You castigate me for voicing my opinion; you tell me to "shut it". Next thing you know, you post this BS:

Saxman:

whether you like it or not other people have different opinions on what they want to see, and they have every right to voice their opinion.

Yeah, everybody has a right to voice their opinion EXCEPT me. You clowns are such hypocrites.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2010, 12:37:40 AM »
We don't want a dueling arena because what you end up with is a little bitty Furball Lake like we have in the DA.

What we want is a real map...gee, like what we have in WW1 right now. With terrain features and a few bases; at least more than 3 bases. Canyons, trees, buildings, hills...terrain. We don't need cherry, grape and banana powerups, or wars to win. What we need is a place to fight that's like a regular arena.

Then no one would care if you had your cherry powerup arena.

Simple see?

But Sluggish has a good point. You guys are the least tolerant; it's just like you in this thread. You castigate me for voicing my opinion; you tell me to "shut it". Next thing you know, you post this BS:

Yeah, everybody has a right to voice their opinion EXCEPT me. You clowns are such hypocrites.

What the do you think the WWI arenas ARE? It IS the Furball Lake. At 1/4 speed. All the same gang tard BS that goes on there is happening in the WWI arenas. It doesn't matter how many bases each side has, when they're all massed in the same blasted circle it's still one big DA furball area.

What *I* was getting sick of is the way you were telling off everyone whose opinion differed from yours. You didn't want to compromise. You didn't want to see other options. You FLAT OUT TOLD EVERYONE WHO SUGGESTED SOME FORM OF OBJECTIVE TO GO AWAY TO THE WWII ARENAS. You NEVER offered any sort of alternate idea such as the split arenas. And then you go posting your smart-assed "Cherry Power Up" BS. Where the HELL does that come from? Who the HELL suggested any sort of BS like that?

The first thing out of your, Karaya's and Bronk's mouth in ANY thread this comes up is NONONONONONONONONONONONO! Even when I suggested additions ONLY FOR THE SAKE OF FSO, SCENARIOS AND SNAPSHOTS, The SAME group of people were screaming NONONONO! And then the people who bring it up are told STFU and go play in WWII. Period. That's it. No ifs, ands or buts. Didn't matter WHAT they said. The only satisfying answer for you all was "Go back to WWII." And THAT'S when I get fed up.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2010, 12:39:28 AM »
Thank you.

Once again, you prove that you, and by extension your kind, are the most intolerant players in the game.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #175 on: March 14, 2010, 01:02:00 AM »
What the do you think the WWI arenas ARE? It IS the Furball Lake. At 1/4 speed. All the same gang tard BS that goes on there is happening in the WWI arenas. It doesn't matter how many bases each side has, when they're all massed in the same blasted circle it's still one big DA furball area.

What *I* was getting sick of is the way you were telling off everyone whose opinion differed from yours. You didn't want to compromise. You didn't want to see other options. You FLAT OUT TOLD EVERYONE WHO SUGGESTED SOME FORM OF OBJECTIVE TO GO AWAY TO THE WWII ARENAS. You NEVER offered any sort of alternate idea such as the split arenas. And then you go posting your smart-assed "Cherry Power Up" BS. Where the HELL does that come from? Who the HELL suggested any sort of BS like that?

The first thing out of your, Karaya's and Bronk's mouth in ANY thread this comes up is NONONONONONONONONONONONO! Even when I suggested additions ONLY FOR THE SAKE OF FSO, SCENARIOS AND SNAPSHOTS, The SAME group of people were screaming NONONONO! And then the people who bring it up are told STFU and go play in WWII. Period. That's it. No ifs, ands or buts. Didn't matter WHAT they said. The only satisfying answer for you all was "Go back to WWII." And THAT'S when I get fed up.

First, Toad never told you to go to the WWII arenas. He simply told you that everything you are asking for, you already have.....in the WWII arenas.

Second, exactly how do you expect to accomplish any of the objectives listed in this thread? Ground fire was lethal to WWI planes and it's thought that a soldier on the ground killed the Red Baron. Balloons/Zeppelins had lots of wires around them and were defended with AAA and it was nearly suicidal to attack them.

Other than recon flights planes in WWI didn't have any strategic offensive value. In light of that, what you are asking for is kinda silly.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline LesterBoffo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #176 on: March 14, 2010, 01:30:15 AM »

Other than recon flights planes in WWI didn't have any strategic offensive value. In light of that, what you are asking for is kinda silly.

Actually depending on who does the telling there were some examples of strategic missions.  One of the earliest was Happe's (GC 25) Bomber Group which had been harassing Rhine Valley industries from Alsace.  Their biggest mission was the Oct 16, 1916 bombing raid on the Mauser rifle works in Obendorf auf Neckar.   They were joined by non other than RNAS #3 and The Escadrille Amercaine 124.  Lufberry, Mason, and Collinshaw were among those that flew in this raid.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:34:10 AM by LesterBoffo »

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: March 14, 2010, 01:33:55 AM »
I find that hard to believe.

EA bought Kesmai (AirWarrior) so they could get into bed with AOL and run the AOL Games Channel.

The demise of AW had nothing what so ever to do with a lack of a subscription base.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: March 14, 2010, 01:35:20 AM »
I see no reason why the WW1 arena(s) could not eventually have some early tanks, bombers, observation ballons, Zeppelins, towns and fields to capture with wars to be won.  Frankly it wouldn't bother me to see the game evolve like that over the next dozen years or so, but I am not hard up for it at the moment.  I am having a blast playing the WW1 game right now as is.

Do the collisions bother me?  No, not really a problem for me.  Do the HOs bother me? No...they are far less effective and far easier to deal with in the absence of heavy cannon and rapid closing speeds.  About the only difficult thing that has happened that I can see so far is some side imbalancing, but it seems to be very fluid at the moment.

Lastly, just let the current set-up settle in for a few months.  The late war peeps wont be around once the novelty wears off and the regulars will start to get their dope lined up making for some intense A2A combat (some already have, myself excluded).
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #179 on: March 14, 2010, 01:44:17 AM »
EA bought Kesmai (AirWarrior) so they could get into bed with AOL and run the AOL Games Channel.

The demise of AW had nothing what so ever to do with a lack of a subscription base.

I saw arenas that rarely filled up. Scoreboards that listed the top 200 players per arena and most of them hardly had any score at all. FR community was mostly gone. Where were all these subscribers?

And if there were 40,000 as Ack Ack suggests, then why was the game shut down? At that rate, they were raking in $400,000 per month before paying the bills but yet EA was willing to sell the game for $250,000? (That was a figure I saw tossed around by people who were looking into buying AW to keep it going.) The numbers just don't add up.

By the time AW got shut down it was very rare to see a CPID that I didn't recognize.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 01:46:32 AM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.