Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20068 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2010, 01:45:38 AM »

Actually depending on who does the telling there were some examples of strategic missions.  One of the earliest was Happe's (GC 25) Bomber Group which had been harassing Rhine Valley industries from Alsace.  Their biggest mission was the Oct 16, 1916 bombing raid on the Mauser rifle works in Obendorf auf Neckar.   They were joined by non other than RNAS #3 and The Escadrille Amercaine 124.  Lufberry, Mason, and Collinshaw were among those that flew in this raid.

Yes, there were bomber groups and they did run missions but they were wildly inaccurate and they had very little, if any effect on the war.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline LesterBoffo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2010, 03:16:03 AM »
Yes, there were bomber groups and they did run missions but they were wildly inaccurate and they had very little, if any effect on the war.

Well as compared to what, at that time?

From Mason's book the "Escadrille Layfayette", the raid on Obendorf was a success and had earned a price on Happe's head from the German Air command.

I mean we're talking about the infancy of flight here, and the technology of the aircraft at the time was progressing in leaps that were almost analogous to the progress of computer development.  So yeah, by WWII standards, they weren't doing much.   But, if what you said was true, then why didn't the various air arms just stick to camera obs and barrage direction. Obviously there was enough of an incremental effect.

That you have RFC 100 flying successful night bombing missions in Flanders from mid 1917 and then transfer to Verdun and join the fledgling AEF in extensive raids on Metz and the surrounding airfields and troop concentrations near the St. Mileal salient.  It all added up, and they had to start somewhere.

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2010, 03:28:04 AM »
so far the lop sided furball thing that takes place close to one field or the other is getting old quick.
  i do not have a solution for that but if the fight is a five min ride and i get there and get ganged or maneuver a bit to fast in a shallow dive and rip the plane apart or simply just collide, does not seem that this will remain fun at all.
  agents idea of a flag capture or something along those lines would be nice but at it's current state, i will be done with it soon.
at this point it is still novel and kinda fun to try not to lose your bird to a collision or blown motor or just plain air frame damage but that cant stay fun for very long.

almost wish we would have looked to korea instead of a second euro front for some new fun.

that is all

froger <----waits to be flamed  :neener:  
frogs are people too

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2010, 03:42:44 AM »
First, Toad never told you to go to the WWII arenas. He simply told you that everything you are asking for, you already have.....in the WWII arenas.

Second, exactly how do you expect to accomplish any of the objectives listed in this thread? Ground fire was lethal to WWI planes and it's thought that a soldier on the ground killed the Red Baron. Balloons/Zeppelins had lots of wires around them and were defended with AAA and it was nearly suicidal to attack them.

Other than recon flights planes in WWI didn't have any strategic offensive value. In light of that, what you are asking for is kinda silly.

Toad comes off as one who's not willing to share his sandbox.  He wishes to absolutely exclude those players who don't fly fighters from having anything to do with the WWI arenas even if they don't interfere in the least with the game he likes to play.  I believe this to be a very selfish and elitist attitude.

Who really cares exactly what roles various equipment payed in WWI.  This is a game.  Inclusion of WWI bombers and GV's would only add something to it and allow those "other kids" to play in the sandbox too.  I laid out a very easy to implement way to make that happen without affecting the current WWI arena play at all and, in fact, to your point, the fighters would have little to no strategic offensive value to the GV/bomber aspect.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not a toolshedder and really like the way the arena is now but I'm also not selfish enough to exclude a large portion of the player base so, in response to the argument happening in this thread I tried to come up with an idea that might be palitable to all.  But no, even that wasn't sufficient.  It had to be Toad's way or no way.  He clearly seems like a child who doesn't like to share.  There's just no other way to view it.

The argument that it will devolve into the MA's has no merit if it was HT's clear intention to avoid that.  If that's not HT's intention then any other suggestion is just that and it will become another MA no matter who says what.  

The argument that Toad will be "stuck" with a WWI furball lake is also pointless.  What the WWI arena is now is three furball lakes with trees instead of a lake.  I'm sure HT or any map developer could replace furball lake with terrain and trees.  And BTW most of my time playing just before WWI has been at furball lake.  I like the short flight to the action and the challenge of staying alive although I'm not very successful at it and that's why I also like WWI so far but again, I'm willing to share.

I'll quit posting in this thread now.  It's pointless to attempt to enlighten totally closed minded people.

Off to WWI to fly through some cherry powerups, whatever the h*ll they are (again, I think only a child would know).

And finally, I have nothing against Toad.  At least he's passionate about what he likes.  I'm just telling it like I see it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:49:07 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: March 14, 2010, 07:07:59 AM »
Why some want is this so called objectives.  They  can hover 1k or so over and pick off the unsuspecting. Cant forget getting those who go afk on climb out to said objective. Those are the bestest right sax?
If you implement these so called objectives with no effect on others game play. People will start whining for some effect other than name in lights and rank points. It is inevitable. Look what the biggest complaints about MA game play. 3 hordes safety dancing around the map.

Hell I'm waiting for the whine about dot dar in wwI. Cuz we all know there was no dar in wwI right?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 07:12:18 AM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #185 on: March 14, 2010, 07:54:25 AM »
My dad said the war was a lot of slow moving events.A tool shedder game isn't going to work .This is about furballs,and big ones at that.
ID

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2010, 09:29:55 AM »
I  am with and against Toad at the same time.
BaldEag wrote.

inclusion of WWI bombers and GV's would only add something to it and allow those "other kids" to play in the sandbox too.

This is a very false statement. What it changes is the reason and how people play in the arena. Right now the reason people play is very simple, to dogfight and get kills. Adding bombers and and gv's would change most of the fight to be win for your country. Or are bombers and GV's good dog fighters in the arena?

While the arena may change slightly, they will not change into an all around war similar to the wwii arenas.

Examples of possible changes of the top of my head to illustrate changes that promote dog fighting. Vs changes that promote the need to not fight to accomplish your task. (such as bombing)

The country who gets xxx number of kills first, gets a benefit such as all enemy's die instantly, and the counts start again.

Along with this, may go forced side balancing.

Again these are just thoughts and not plans.

I.E. A game centered around Dog Fighting.

But the point is we already have a war win arena, no need for another, especially when the tools for that ware really do not fit the bill.

HiTech

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2010, 09:39:30 AM »
There it is. Gentlemen drop your purses.  :D

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #188 on: March 14, 2010, 09:47:45 AM »
I agree with Toad. I too have seem the add-ons slowly destroy the "fighting" aspect of the game. While I prefer flying WWII planes, it was a nice change after getting frustrated by the hordes of HOers in WWII to switch over and have a blast fighting in WWI. I'm glad HTC plans to keep them pretty much the same way they are.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: March 14, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
Toad comes off as one who's not willing to share his sandbox.  He wishes to absolutely exclude those players who don't fly fighters from having anything to do with the WWI arenas even if they don't interfere in the least with the game he likes to play.  I believe this to be a very selfish and elitist attitude.

For years the toolshedders have told the furballers, "If you want to furball you have the DA". The toolshedders have tried to relegate us to one small portion of one arena. All Toad wants is an arena where we can go furball. I can't say that I blame him and in fact I understand exactly where he is coming from.

In the WWI arenas you don't have Mustangs, Spitfires and LaCheesies sitting up at 10k+ just waiting to pick people off once they get engaged. Those same people run at the slightest hint of danger. The WWI arenas are all about the fight and that's why some of us play.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: March 14, 2010, 09:58:43 AM »
A game centered around Dog Fighting.

But the point is we already have a war win arena, no need for another, especially when the tools for that ware really do not fit the bill.

Me wubs joo!!     :D

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: March 14, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
I  am with and against Toad at the same time.
BaldEag wrote.

This is a very false statement. What it changes is the reason and how people play in the arena. Right now the reason people play is very simple, to dogfight and get kills. Adding bombers and and gv's would change most of the fight to be win for your country. Or are bombers and GV's good dog fighters in the arena?

While the arena may change slightly, they will not change into an all around war similar to the wwii arenas.

Examples of possible changes of the top of my head to illustrate changes that promote dog fighting. Vs changes that promote the need to not fight to accomplish your task. (such as bombing)

The country who gets xxx number of kills first, gets a benefit such as all enemy's die instantly, and the counts start again.

Along with this, may go forced side balancing.

Again these are just thoughts and not plans.

I.E. A game centered around Dog Fighting.

HiTech

That's why I'd suggested balloon busting over No Man's Land. It was part of the historical origin of fighters to begin with, would generate dogfights as one side tried to defend them and the other side tried to attack them, and doesn't require the use of bombing strategic targets.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: March 14, 2010, 10:33:32 AM »
That's why I'd suggested balloon busting over No Man's Land. It was part of the historical origin of fighters to begin with, would generate dogfights as one side tried to defend them and the other side tried to attack them, and doesn't require the use of bombing strategic targets.

Banana and cherry power-ups is a gamey way to get your foot in the door for the gamey strat that you seem to long for.  But whatever...  There's four WW1 arenas.  Take one and do what ever you want with it.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2010, 10:34:35 AM »
Me wubs joo!!     :D

:uhoh  Wewe did you wub him?   :uhoh
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:53 AM »
I wanna be able to jump out of my flaming plane and hit the ground like a sack of wet mice
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/