Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20064 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2010, 10:52:14 AM »
Banana and cherry power-ups is a gamey way to get your foot in the door for the gamey strat that you seem to long for.  But whatever...  There's four WW1 arenas.  Take one and do what ever you want with it.

Sorry, but strategic warfare is NOT gamey. It's using the aircraft for the purpose they were designed for, in a manner in which everyone has the opportunity both to participate in or defend against. That includes knocking down hangars, btw. I never understood what was so hard about upping from a base further back if the hangars go down at the one you're defending, or having a CAP over the field to stop the bombers in the first place.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
Did airpower REALLY ever play a strategic role in WW1? It just started out as a way of shooting down arty spotters
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #197 on: March 14, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
Did airpower REALLY ever play a strategic role in WW1? It just started out as a way of shooting down arty spotters

Which is basically what my suggestion was. Observation balloons as targets. It could even be done without forcing an arena reset and kicking everyone out.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #198 on: March 14, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Well...weaving in and out of the cables while the 87 tards ignoring all else to gang you could be fun

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #199 on: March 14, 2010, 11:32:45 AM »

I.E. A game centered around Dog Fighting.

But the point is we already have a war win arena, no need for another, especially when the tools for that ware really do not fit the bill.

HiTech

God bless you HT.  I sorta figured you had the situation well in hand.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #200 on: March 14, 2010, 11:33:00 AM »
Sorry, but strategic warfare is NOT gamey. It's using the aircraft for the purpose they were designed for, in a manner in which everyone has the opportunity both to participate in or defend against. That includes knocking down hangars, btw. I never understood what was so hard about upping from a base further back if the hangars go down at the one you're defending, or having a CAP over the field to stop the bombers in the first place.

Not everyone has hours and days to get involved in a giant war win scenario.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: March 14, 2010, 11:36:54 AM »
so its just going to be WW1 DA basically, throw in the cherry pickin hordes, i can hardly wait for that. SO  no use in discussing this any farther we have our answer WW1 Fighter only arena.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 11:43:02 AM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: March 14, 2010, 11:42:14 AM »
As opposed to the noe-building-battling-base-taking whordes....

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #203 on: March 14, 2010, 11:45:06 AM »
That's why I'd suggested balloon busting over No Man's Land. It was part of the historical origin of fighters to begin with, would generate dogfights as one side tried to defend them and the other side tried to attack them, and doesn't require the use of bombing strategic targets.

And taking out balloons could limit map icons for the NME in that area or something like that.. Gives each side something to defend and a reason to defend it while still promoting dog fighting..

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #204 on: March 14, 2010, 11:46:57 AM »
BJ did you even read some of the posts at all, no one wanted rotating maps, no war winning, nothing like the MA setups, but do you think theres not going to be hordes in here? the MA crowd don't check there mentalities at the door they bring them in .
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: March 14, 2010, 11:50:12 AM »
For years the toolshedders have told the furballers, "If you want to furball you have the DA". The toolshedders have tried to relegate us to one small portion of one arena.

Exactly. If we don't want to play their game, we should go to a small corner of the DA, with no varied terrain features, with only 3 bases. The canyons, hills, trees, buildings, mountains and room to spread out amongst, say 6 bases like in WW1, those are not for us. After all, THEIR game is the only one that matters.

As I said and as the war-winnahs have shown in this thread, they are the most intolerant group in the game.

First we just want barrage balloons to generate dogfights. Because it's SO hard to find a fight in there now.

Of course, people will defend the balloon because they have absolutely no effect on the arena...oh, wait...we'll have to change that. We need to somehow make balloons important so that people will defend them instead of just going out and finding a fight somewhere. That way other players can hover a few thousand feet above the balloons and have an advantage when the other players come to the strategically important balloons.

Because, you know, announcing on common channel that you're going out into no man's land at 5k looking for some 1 v 1 just isn't working right now, is it?  :D

Now, I think I'll move along, since HT clearly has the situation well in hand.

I doubt the whines will stop though. Poor HT.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
BJ did you even read some of the posts at all, no one wanted rotating maps, no war winning, nothing like the MA setups, but do you think theres not going to be hordes in here? the MA crowd don't check there mentalities at the door they bring them in .
They're certainly here (WW1) just a different sort...variety is the spice of life

Offline LesterBoffo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:14 AM »
I wanna be able to jump out of my flaming plane and hit the ground like a sack of wet mice

Well I'd just like the chance to fly online for once.  But it would be fun to show some overconfident fighter jock that a slow old arty spotter can shoot back.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2010, 11:54:59 AM »
Which is basically what my suggestion was. Observation balloons as targets. It could even be done without forcing an arena reset and kicking everyone out.
Yea it gives you something to hover 5k above and pick... fantastic.
See Rule #4

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2010, 11:58:45 AM »
I  am with and against Toad at the same time.
BaldEag wrote.

This is a very false statement. What it changes is the reason and how people play in the arena. Right now the reason people play is very simple, to dogfight and get kills. Adding bombers and and gv's would change most of the fight to be win for your country. Or are bombers and GV's good dog fighters in the arena?

While the arena may change slightly, they will not change into an all around war similar to the wwii arenas.

Examples of possible changes of the top of my head to illustrate changes that promote dog fighting. Vs changes that promote the need to not fight to accomplish your task. (such as bombing)

The country who gets xxx number of kills first, gets a benefit such as all enemy's die instantly, and the counts start again.

Along with this, may go forced side balancing.

Again these are just thoughts and not plans.

I.E. A game centered around Dog Fighting.

But the point is we already have a war win arena, no need for another, especially when the tools for that ware really do not fit the bill.

HiTech

That's the way uh huh uh huh I like it........ :banana:  :cheers:  :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54