Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20075 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2010, 01:37:33 PM »
I fly there regularly.  The bnz dweebs are just part of the scenery.  I fly low and love to watch them compress and auger.  Your disdain for the way others play the game belies your penchant to tell others what to do.  As in..  

"I DON'T LIKE TELLING PEOPLE WHAT TO DO BUT, WE'VE GOT TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO KEEP THE BNZ GUYS FROM PLAYING THE GAME THE WAY THEY WANT!!"

See?

It's not only "my disdain", it's generally accepted that the furball lake area of the DA is just that, a cesspool. Now that it has been "labeled" as such you will find most people will avoid it much as they avoid the AvA arena due to the stuff that "use to" happen in there.

I'm not telling anyone what to do or not to do. I voice my opinion here much like many others. I post what "I think", not what YOU should think. I post what I've seen and what I've read. Once someone, or something gets a reputation it is very hard to change that persona. The DA IS a cesspool. Again that is my opinion. I go in there every now and then hoping to find some of these "quick fights" people say they have in there. EVERY time I spend more time ducking "pickers" than fighting fighters.

Again, I'm not telling anyone what to do, nor am I singling you out as a "dweeb" because you fly there. If you enjoy getting picked and being cannon fodder, enjoy yourself. I prefer to have more fight than dodging.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Doesn't matter if there playing the game the way they want. Their still terrible pilots.

"There" is a place and "their" shows possession.  The one you're looking for is "they're."  What does them being good or bad cartoon airplane pilots have to do with their right to play as they see fit?

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2010, 01:48:03 PM »
Why not have 2 arenas 1 DogFight arena and 1 WW1 arena? What would be wrong with that? If you don't get some kind of strategy or make a game for this arena, in about 2-3 months you will have done all this work for about 20-40 folks. <sigh>
I spent about 3-4 hours in there and well... I just cant wait for the sidebalancing to begin  :rolleyes:

I'm in the strat boat. Full service arena!

I guess you skipped to the end?  You HAVE a "full-service" arena.  Personally, I think the MA will eventually get to the point where it is more like "war" and less like a game - if HT ever introduces GVs that are more effective at blowing up buildings than airplanes are, I think we will see planes relegated to support status by the population. 

I have to admit I was leery about the WW1 arena because I thought it would take focus off of the WW2 planeset - but I think I am a convert now.. the WW1 arena is where I am staying.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
It's not only "my disdain", it's generally accepted that the furball lake area of the DA is just that, a cesspool. Now that it has been "labeled" as such you will find most people will avoid it much as they avoid the AvA arena due to the stuff that "use to" happen in there.

Since you have what you feel is a majority in this opinion you feel that you can use a mob mentality to decide how new arenas will be implemented...

Offline Slamfire

• Nickel Member
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2010, 02:08:37 PM »
Dear HTC:

Way back around 1992, when Christ was a humble Mess Cook and all that, I got into this wonderful game that we all know called Air Warrior for DOS.

This was back in the day when you'd dial into BBS'es and spoke to the world via usenet.  Anyways, I met some local sim enthusiasts, and they told me of the holy grail of flight sims: SVGA Air Warrior.  Intrigued, I decided to try the free play, being as the rate was well over $2 an hour back then... damn maybe even as much as $6... can't even remember, but my introduction to the game was the old Internet Head To Head Daemon (IHHD) Air Warrior Ladder Matches which was dominated by the old 666th-etal squadron - the legendary Red Beard and all his top notch group of people.  Anyways, they were my trial by fire introduction to online dogfighting.

Anyways, my point: what hooked me was the amazing, pure, stick and rudder thrill of 1 on 1 dogfights.  It wasn't as much as the planes, as it was pure stick and rudder skills.  IMHO, nothing has surpassed the pure fun and excitement of those old ladder matches... UNTIL this new WWI Arena.

THANK YOU - it's the most fun I've had with the genre in many years - an absolute throwback the best days the genre has ever seen IMHO.

Please continue development keeping the above in mind - we don't need any pacman strawberry powerups to spoil what I consider to be pure fun and excitement distilled into it's most basic form.   

:cheers:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Air Chief Marshal, Elite Top Aces
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »
"There" is a place and "their" shows possession.  The one you're looking for is "they're."  What does them being good or bad cartoon airplane pilots have to do with their right to play as they see fit?
Correct me on spelling? On an online bulletin board?  :lol
I don't care if they play the way they play, I was stating that they have little skill. Most people will agree with me when I say sitting in a tempest at 20k picking engaged cons is a great way to get better.  :rolleyes:
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2010, 02:32:36 PM »
Correct me on spelling? On an online bulletin board?  :lol
I don't care if they play the way they play, I was stating that they have little skill. Most people will agree with me when I say sitting in a tempest at 20k picking engaged cons is a great way to get better.  :rolleyes:

Why are you so concerned that you wish to stop them or make sure they can't do it in the new arenas?  Does a person's skill level give them less of a say in game-play?  And why do you feel that your perceived majority gives you the right to stop or curtail game-play that you find offensive?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2010, 02:35:14 PM »
Why are you so concerned that you wish to stop them or make sure they can't do it in the new arenas?  Does a person's skill level give them less of a say in game-play?  And why do you feel that your perceived majority gives you the right to stop or curtail game-play that you find offensive?

Why do you think that the game should change the way you want. You already have your win the war arenas, and your horde tard cesspool go there and leave WW1 alone.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
When did I say I was concerned about the way people fly in the new arenas? I was backing up fugitive when he said the DA was a "cesspool", where he is correct. When did I say it gives someone a less of a say when voicing their opinion in new content?
Stop asking irrelevant questions, all I did was agree with fugitive when he said people who regularly fly in the DA were probably not as skilled as the MA variety.  
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:29 PM »
:uhoh  Wewe did you wub him?   :uhoh

Ok....I'm just gonna ignore this one.......sicko!!

:D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
That's why I'd suggested balloon busting over No Man's Land. It was part of the historical origin of fighters to begin with, would generate dogfights as one side tried to defend them and the other side tried to attack them, and doesn't require the use of bombing strategic targets.

Uh.....you don't really need anything to generate fights when there are only 6 bases on the maps......
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2010, 02:50:33 PM »
Why do you think that the game should change the way you want. You already have your win the war arenas, and your horde tard cesspool go there and leave WW1 alone.

I've seen the game change enough.  What are you talking about?  This whole thread is about people who can't leave well enough alone and can't wait for some sort of strat silliness to be implemented into the WW1 arenas.  All I ask is that one of the new arenas be left as is.  Why do toolshedders feel their game-play must be forced on everyone?

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2010, 03:12:27 PM »
Hmm funny you're the one arguing with all the dogfighters about the way WW1 arenas are, or need to be.

Then you stoop to correcting another posters grammar. Me thinks that maybe you're one of the horde tardlets. If not good for you, but ask yourself do most of your kills come when eight or ten of your best buds are around you, do your fights involve only one or two red icons the other ten are green?

Just for your information I've seen a lot of changes here as well as in AW and they always take away from the pure dogfight. I'm not asking for any strat, or win the war silliness, but I also don't want to have to fight my way out of a 10v1 with you and nine of your best buds.

444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
Hmm funny you're the one arguing with all the dogfighters about the way WW1 arenas are, or need to be.

Then you stoop to correcting another posters grammar. Me thinks that maybe you're one of the horde tardlets. If not good for you, but ask yourself do most of your kills come when eight or ten of your best buds are around you, do your fights involve only one or two red icons the other ten are green?

Just for your information I've seen a lot of changes here as well as in AW and they always take away from the pure dogfight. I'm not asking for any strat, or win the war silliness, but I also don't want to have to fight my way out of a 10v1 with you and nine of your best buds.

Dude.  Go back and re-read this thread.  I'll be waiting for your apology.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2010, 03:17:04 PM »
I'll chime in on the DA.

I think a person's actual experience in the DA tends to mirror that person's expectations of the DA.

I go there expecting to take an FM2 or a Brew off the cliff, down to the water and into the nearest group of red icons. That usually results in some good fights against like-minded people. Yes, there are still cherry pickers in Tempests, just like in the MA. But I kill some Tempests too and it really doesn't worry me.

There are small fights; I've had plenty of 1 v 1s at the Lake.

Mostly there is good action and that's the basic reason I play.

I have a huge amount of fun in there.

I would like to see them implement a WW2 furball arena just like the WW1 arena though. I'd like to see a bit more in the way of terrain and more space than Furball Lake provides. Some hills, canyons and such to add complexity to maneuvering. Just take a WW1 map with the bases and layout intact, add some variations in elevation, disable everything but the planes and let her rip.  

But I can live with Furball Lake too. It's good times for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!