Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20070 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #255 on: March 14, 2010, 07:36:53 PM »
wow! a T doesn't look anything like a C thanks for catching that !

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #256 on: March 14, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »
Didn't say there was no pickin.  They just can't take warp speed passes in uber rides with relative impunity. It is in no way like the DA.

I don't know.  Your right its not at warp speed, but everything in the WW1 Arena is slow, but at times I see no difference except for speed.

My Opinion

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #257 on: March 15, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
 Hate his politics : ) but super kudos to Toad for doing a phenominal job at trying to
get the point across to those who *thought* they were listening but were assuredly
not.

All hail the Hitechster!  Your group has made something special once again with this
new WWI  arena.  <S>

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #258 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:08 PM »
I don't know.  Your right its not at warp speed, but everything in the WW1 Arena is slow, but at times I see no difference except for speed.

My Opinion

Fred
Ohh I agree on pickin galore. However there is a HUGE diff between quad cannon birds swarmin vs. twin .303s birds swarmin.  Much less 1 shot kills.
See Rule #4

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:42 AM »
If so, you understand these seemingly innocuous ideas will evolve into the morass that is the MA.

It was an Atoll map with three bases on an island in the middle. Each country had an uncapturable big island of their own. The GVs were ONLY in the middle. Bombers did have absolutely minimal effect on gameplay, although they were fun to fly because you could put so many live gunners in them.

Geez....kids......:-)

Mid 1990, "Iron Bottom Sound". Large lake in the middle, with 3 main air fields around the it. Behind each main field (way behind) was a city and 2 secondary fields (one facing each opposing country). There were NO capturable fields. Bombers were flown for score...period.

Things didn't really get out of hand until all the fields became capturable. Game play deteriorated steadily from that point.

NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »
OK, Oldtimer. You got me there.   :)

You made the most important point though. It's a truth that has continued from there to the present day.

Things didn't really get out of hand until all the fields became capturable. Game play deteriorated steadily from that point.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 10:54:19 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2010, 10:38:36 AM »
do keep in mind when stating that "gameplay deteriorated steadily from that point" that the AH population has increased steadily from that point.  What can be stated fairly accurately I think is that a smaller population became somehwat disengaged as a larger population took over.  From HTCs viewpoint they are better off today than they were ten years ago.  Keep that in mind.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »
If there were three 10,000 player hordes avoiding each other as they rolled undefended bases in the MA, HTC would undoubtedly be better off financially.

It would be pretty hard to say that improved gameplay though. It would have to be viewed as deterioration.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »
Im in agreement with you. 

However, I am aware that for many other players gameplay is simply not an issue.  Case in point: I will not play in LW because it is simply too crowded for my enjoyment.  Simply too much all around dweebiness.  Before the WW1 arenas came along I was exclusively a MW player.  Great crowds, not too many peeps to piss in my wheaties, and I loved the plane set.  But, each night there are 350-400 people split between the two LW arenas, so a LOT of people are having fun in an arena(s) that I do not enjoy playing in because "gameplay" sucks.  Just keeping it real.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
Believe me, 30,000 people in the MA would not bother me at all.

I wouldn't be there but it wouldn't bother me.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #265 on: March 16, 2010, 11:58:40 AM »
I love the new WW1 'pure dogfight' arena. It's fresh - it's a change. I also love the MA 'war' arena which comes a little closer to depict applied air-to-air tactcis as I understand them. I do not understand why a T&B pilot should be more skilled than a B&Z pilot - just to justify those two stereotypes here.

Leave WW1 as it is - maybe add a few 'fun targets' like zeps and ballons - but leave it for the stick & rudder types.

As for the ganging problem... for those who whine about being outnumbered or 'picked' in a fight - can you tell me why you fly a multiplayer combat sim with massive multiplayer arenas in the first place? Setup your duels at places and times where you like - but don't whine in a arena with 100+ people. SA is a skill too! So is tactical engagement and disengagement. Or maybe team tactics - wingmen - etc. ...
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Boxboy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #266 on: March 16, 2010, 12:12:47 PM »
LOL @Kirin get real bud this is an egomaniac game so screams of hording, picking, etc are sure to follow a shootdown :rofl I do it myself from time to time  :o
Sub Lt BigJim
801 Sqn FAA
Pilot

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #267 on: March 16, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »
OK, Oldtimer. You got me there.   :)

You made the most important point though. It's a truth that has continued from there to the present day.

Gee thanks....as if I don't feel old enough!  :old:

Unfortunately, the proponents of pure fight are the minority. HTC needs the majority to pay the bills. At the same time, I played WW1 in AW. It was, most often, a ghost town. This was because, in part, the "fight" has a limited appeal.

What I see as the optimal solution is some form of activity that will inspire attack and defense (without encouraging horde monkey gameplay). In the end, I find mindless furballing as inane as mindless toolshedding.

Okay, now I can drop a few hints about what I think might work... :devil

First, establish "battle lines" between the air fields. There would be ack like the field ack. The ack would provide "cover" for the observation balloons and prevent the current conga lines.

In addition, have a ground battle going on in the center of the map. Each side would also have an observation balloon there (but no ack). That would "funnel" the players into the center area and the Mother of All WW1 furballs.  :D

NoBaddy (NB)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #268 on: March 16, 2010, 01:30:13 PM »
Right down the same old road.  It would never end; you know this from experience.

It would be like the begatting in the Bible.

"“Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat Judas and his brethren; / And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and Phares begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; / And Aram begat Aminadab....."

Pretty soon, you'd begat the current MA.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
« Reply #269 on: March 16, 2010, 01:45:04 PM »
Well Toad...

With out a bit of beggatting... no one would be here to play the game.  :devil

NoBaddy (NB)