Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20133 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #390 on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:46 AM »
I prefer the bright clear days and far as Im concerned HT could freeze the sun at high noon forever.
some puffy clouds would be fine though.

Agreed.  Sunny, clear, summer day, high noon, puffy white cotton cumulus clouds.

Its seems I'm forever flying into that freakin sunset!!!!!!

I need shades. :cool:

Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Kirin

• Nickel Member
« Reply #391 on: March 18, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
It's the old deal from early AH where you let the guy get up, get some alt and get some speed so he could have a reasonable chance at successfully engaging rather than getting slaughtered over and over again. In pursuit of score, that ethic has pretty much disappeared from AH. That ethic makes for better gameplay though.

Ahhhh - the nostalgia...  as far as I remember hoarding, porking and ack-hugging has been always a part of AH - as it is part of human nature. The old days weren't always better.

As for the WW1 roadmap. Keep it pure dogfighting. Pour in some more static targets like ballons just for the fun of it. Actually a nice touch would be infantry as 'semi-mobile' soft ack. Easy to take out - but enough of an annoyance to not be ignored. That way you could 'channel' fights in the direction you liked or give you some protection trying to limp home.
Real men fly Radial!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #392 on: March 18, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »
I'm on central time, this morning waited until 10 for my morning run, found 24 on, and a couple of good fights.

Only 2 knights on, so most of the action was Bish/rook.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #393 on: March 18, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
Ohhh and 2k or 2.5k icons would be awesome, as slow as the WWI planes are thats plenty.

Another consideration would be to just put the small country icon. No exact range, just the - or + to tell you if he's closing or not.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #394 on: March 18, 2010, 12:31:21 PM »
I'd say there is nothing more boring for the player doing it than circling in impenetrable ack. Eventually they come out and fight or land/log.

Last night, only had time for a few sorties and unfortunately wasted one of those sorties fighting against a player that would fly along the fringe of his base ack cover.  He'd engage and immediately after merge, pull a hard 180 turn back towards his ack cover and try and drag you into it so the ack would do what he was incapable of doing. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #395 on: March 18, 2010, 12:35:42 PM »
Lessee, after seeing that the first time you had two choices, right?

Keep trying to kill him

or

fly a couple miles away and join the fur, leaving him to pump his control stick in isolation and boredom?

:)

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline TMAW

• Zinc Member
« Reply #396 on: March 18, 2010, 04:40:27 PM »

MAP
I would agree with using a 3 base map on a terrain similar to ndisles center island, though not as large and no GV bases. The terrain would funnel everyone towards the center. Whether it would constantly result in a massive furball, or a few smaller ones, who knows?

ICONS
We could use the icon set as we have now, or have it configurable similar to the ALT + I we have now, with ALT + SHIFT + I,  to cycle through different icon set ups. For example; country and distance, plane type and distance, distance only, or some other set-up.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #397 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
Lessee, after seeing that the first time you had two choices, right?

Keep trying to kill him

or

fly a couple miles away and join the fur, leaving him to pump his control stick in isolation and boredom?

:)

When I he did it, I just turned 90 degrees to the right and stayed outside the ack ring and positioned myself to cut him off he tried it again.  But that's really not the point, as I said over open channel in game, you can remove the tool from the MA but you can't remove the MA from the tool.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #398 on: March 18, 2010, 10:45:09 PM »
Toad, thanks very much for the suggestion. I reduced the icons to size 10 and made the enemy icons forrest green and the friendly a kind of turquoise.  Fantastic result.  The icons are still there to supplement the Mk1 Eyeball system, but you have to take a second to inspect a view, and you have to look carefully if you want plane type and distance information.  It is very difficult to keep track of more than a couple of cons at once.  Excellent compromise.

Here is another historical flying AAR.

Took off on test flight to evaluate F2b high altitude performance.  At 17k over center of front area, encountered enemy triplane hi 12.  Chased him up to 18k over the course of 20 minutes.  When over an enemy field,  he suddenly turned, overflew, and dived on my tail but went too low.  He climbed up to fire but missed, ended up inverted at stall speed and had to roll away.  I turned on his tail and began to chase.  He dived in a corkscrew several times and I dived with him, chasing him to 10k, but never had an opportunity to fire.  Broke off chase at 9k.  Enemy was observed diving vertically toward his field.  Several enemy aircraft present around 2-4k.  Headed back to the front and resumed patrol.

That was my best flight so far :)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #399 on: March 18, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
Now we just need to get HT to model hypoxia.   :devil
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #400 on: March 18, 2010, 11:52:47 PM »
OK, well, we can't agree on everything.  :)

But I'm not seeing too many objections to:

3 field DA-Furball-Lake type configuration (not necessarily on high cliffs),

reasonably spaced so all three teams can mix it up in the same airspace,

Puffy white clouds around 2-3k to play cat and mouse in.

Maybe some kind of icon tweaks.

I'll take what I can get  :D,
Wab

I could have a terrain like this ready for submission within days with an approval from HTC that they would even check it out it & consider another WW1 terrain.  I have some great WW1 looking ground textures to use too. ;)
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #401 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:43 AM »
It's going to be hard to turn a trench warfare game into something that tool shedders are going to like.Strafing trenches,artillery positions,killing a few barrage ballons,is about the extent of it.I find the fur balling a lot of fun.and that's what the game should be about.My Dad had a AAA battery next to his artillery unit,and he said they shot a lot during the day,and he never seen them ever hit a thing!The WW I arenas need to be left alone.This is a furballers heaven.
ID
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:10:54 AM by IronDog »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #402 on: March 19, 2010, 08:58:16 AM »
Now we just need to get HT to model hypoxia.   :devil

I've come across quite a few players who are pretty good at simulating it.

- oldman

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #403 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:18 AM »
I've come across quite a few players who are pretty good at simulating it.

- oldman
:rofl  :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Miska

• Copper Member
« Reply #404 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:57 PM »
I love the new icon ranges.