Author Topic: If I happen to HO you  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Impakt

• Copper Member
If I happen to HO you
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
 I ask that when you post your personal attacks that you at least read carefully what I have written so you understand what I am saying. The HO in this game has taken on a moral dimension. If one HO's someone one is both morally bankrupt and unskilled in ACM. NOTE: I agree that the game would be boring if the HO were the preferred tactic, and that it is a risk fraught tactic that is best avoided and only used in certain situations. I do HO in these situations. I HO very sparingly and usually fly by, and duck (important: by dodging I CAN"T be HO-ed). So, on to the situations.

(1) When an HO isn't an HO. Many people don't seem to note the difference between a shot coming from the front quarter that isn't really an HO. If I can pull the trigger and hit you but you CAN"T get you guns to bear ---then you weren't HO-ed you were "front quarter deflection shot". One has to watch out for snap shots and late shots. Some 190 pilots are damned good at these and I <S> them. I think I have ducked under their nose but a burst removes the back of my plane.

(2) Plane type HO's. I tend to avoid getting in front of 110s, N1ks, Typhoons, F4U 1-Cs. I make it a point NOT to. I don't fly straight at them hoping the pilot will wave as I pass. I play because of my interest in WWII---I don't like games online, and I play no other. Read the Osprey books on WWII AC----they are FULL OF HO ATTACKS. See the Hurri Aces book---a guy in a Hurri I Ho-ing 110s (he got 2 before bailing). The HO was part of real life P-40 and P-38 tactics vs most IJ AC. Here is what I do. If my plane has a significant advantage I will take the HO shot. Especially if my situation is only going to deteriorate---ie enemy friends ib, or plane match up. For example---I like the P-40 E---if I'm Bnz-ing a Zeke---I take any firing solution offered---since with time I will lose E and the advantage turns to him as it becomes a turn fight. The durability of the P-40 and the range lethality of 6 x 50 cals ---I think gives me an edge over Zeke H2H.

(3) Situational HOs
I fly alone in a squad of one (insert insult/ joke here). If I am being hopelessly swarmed with no hope of flight or help ---I will take ANY firing solution---hell I gotta kill more than one person---no time to tool around while the other guy nails my six. So, I would think that here it behooves the gang to avoid my nose. In a CV furball with similar #s I don't HO---unless it is a buff IB to CV. Some large squads like the Muppets and Jokers seize bases with impressive efficiency and lethality. A cloud arrives and one does what one can to resist. In this situation I will HO. Why? Because each killed con has to restart at a base that isn't HERE so I'm helping my side hold the base because I CAN RE-UP HERE. Another situation where I HO---a "must kill" one. I came to a V-base in a Tempest with TwinTail in an A-20. To my great chagrin not only was he too slippery to kill (I did some ping damage) BUT he had me losing E and was damned close to killing me. Not only that he had killed some troops on ground as they ran and new troops were IB. I had an audience of 10 guys in GV's shouting: "c'mon Impakt kill that A-20". So, with 60 rounds left I gave up the BnZ and flew straight at him determined to have some result. He flew straight at me too and HO---he died and then I did. In my mind legit due to the base capture situation (he was only con and me only friendly plane). Finally, in this game I tend to BnZ (in WBs I turned/ burned), and HERE people fly straight UP at you. Now if the con is wobbling (ie he is stalling at peak of climb and I'm in a nice, stable, high speed dive---I will shoot the HO shot IF other situational factors say that I must---ie enemy friendlies IB and no time.

So---if I HO you these are the reasons why. I don't do it often, and if you doubt that look at my K/D whcih would imply that I'm either lucky or a great shot (neither). I wrote this since Rud3boy asked me on 200: "why do you HO?" As promised, I have answered the why and the when.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:46:43 PM by Impakt »

+ FAFL ALSACE 341 +

In game handle = Impaktt

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: If I happen to HO you
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:51:19 PM »
Good points, I mostly agree.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:54:59 PM »
Hard to argue with most of what youve written, good logical points
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 01:00:55 PM »
ditto, worth posting :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 01:06:45 PM »
If we were fighting for our lives, everyone would HO. However we aren't, you get a new life and a shiney new plane every sortie. HO's take no real effort or skill, which is why they are looked down upon. It's a dead give away, no pun intended, that you're fighting someone with little skill or just plain desperate. If you anticipate it you can usually gain an advantage fairly quick. It's more of an annoyance than anything.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:07:59 PM »
Good post Sir.  No arguments here.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 01:17:21 PM »
Front deflection shot, the only thing that will not result in a front deflection shot opportunity is for both planes to ram each other spinner to spinner. By that reasoning are you saying it would be ok to ho me because I broke to avoid the collision? This is especially true at very low speeds/e states in a fight turning nose to nose.

Sorry a lot of your reasoning just doesn't add up, I too fly alone mostly due to me being UK and my squad being US but I can still face the situations you have listed here and I do not need to HO. Its all been written before a thousand times, imo its the calling card of suck, if someone HOs you or attempts to HO you then I'd HO definitely.  

Your entitled to your opinion I guess its just a perspective thing but I don't think listing your reasons why here will stop people telling you that you suck or whatever after HOing them as they are also entitled to their opinion/perspective.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
(4)Geographical HO  If one is a resident of IdaHO ...
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
A true story from a few weeks ago:

player 1: You lame HOtard!
player 1: player 2 is a moron... weak hoer.. get some skillz!
player 1: *continues to whine, freak out, insult*
player 2: but you shot first, I pulled the trigger only after seeing you shooting
player 1: DO YOU THINK IM DUMB ENOUGH TO WAIT FOR YOU TO SHOOT?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:27:25 PM »
Saturday Night at A139, the Rooks had been attempting to capture this field.   They couldn't, because the "Generals" used flawed logic.    But it was funny watching someone in a Hog-1a into the field off of their CV at about 10k.   I'd get co-alt in my La7, he'd run, turn after I broke, then fire first in the HO.   I'd pull the trigger at 200 (he managed one bullet hole) and twice this exact thing happened.   I got bored to wait around for the 3rd time.  

If someone fires HO, my trigger will be pulled.   If they get shot down, they'll grab another plane and vice versa.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:32:25 PM »
I ask that when you post your personal attacks that you at least read carefully what I have written so you understand what I am saying. The HO in this game has taken on a moral dimension. If one HO's someone one is both morally bankrupt and unskilled in ACM. NOTE: I agree that the game would be boring if the HO were the preferred tactic, and ...when.

Uh, yeah, those are words.

Hey, who is this HO-bag?

Actually, you get no quibble from me. I've died enough and killed enough on the FQ deflection to know it's real and can be inflicted on or to with impunity - and yes, they're an RW feature, historically. I try to avoid them for the fact that my gunnery seems to necessitate that I not match it evenly against someone else's.

BTW, as for that moral dimension, it's crap, IMJ, and there's smply no winning the argument. I don't play other games either and am a history buff. I almost always fight - even against bad odds, and consider myself a student of ACM (albeit a humble one). Thus, I go into fights looking to learn, not mindlessly HO. That said, that nose-on merge is a reality, and anyone too dumb to try to use it or, failing that, to avoid it deserves whatever they get.

Uh, yeah, what the HO-Bag said.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:08:33 PM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »
A true story from a few weeks ago:

player 1: You lame HOtard!
player 1: player 2 is a moron... weak hoer.. get some skillz!
player 1: *continues to whine, freak out, insult*
player 2: but you shot first, I pulled the trigger only after seeing you shooting
player 1: DO YOU THINK IM DUMB ENOUGH TO WAIT FOR YOU TO SHOOT? <----- :D
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:49:11 PM »
I was in the WW1 arena on the first night of its release and came across this fellow out there at 1.5 distance and for the life of me I couldn't tell if he was coming or going.  After a while the 1.5 turned into a 1.0 and I thought to myself "Self, this is gonna be a fight!".  After some more time went by the 1.0 turned into 1000.  a little while later it turned into 800.  Because I was itching for some gun sounds I started tapping the trigger for short bursts.  Every few hundred yards I'd shoot another little burst.  After a while I saw rounds generally going past me from the incoming con.  He was shooting back yay! After we did this for a few more seconds we were about 100 yards out and at this time the con dived under me out of sight.  I looped over and around coming down on top of this con and flamed him up pretty easily getting the pilot kill.  Next thing you know...almost at the speed of light he typed over open "Why the ho?"  I replied "why not"....then I got the "tards like you Sir are ruining this game" at which time I elected not to engage the guy in intellectual combat since I would clearly not win.  Instead, I went and played the game for a few more hours before calling it a night.  Had a blast :)
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:50:21 PM »
Nice Post.

I backed off the idea of HOing is a terrible thing.  98% of them time I will not HO but now I am more agressive and If I have a solution a millisecond b4 the other plane does, then I will take the shot.  Otherwise if I wait for the sportsmanlike pilot, that will never come and I will be jumped by his friends.  

If I get HO'd, it's not the end of the world.  That means I was in the wrong spot to begin with.   :old:
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 01:55:49 PM »
(4)Geographical HO  If one is a resident of IdaHO ...
I was raised for thirty five years in
Idaho and can still tell the difference between potatos!
The one in bad makeup on the corner is form idaHO !! :x
P.S. I agree with all points !
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.