Author Topic: Perk the Spitfires  (Read 7199 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Perk the Spitfires
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:45 PM »
Ki-84 is one of my favorite fighters in AH.  I'd put it somewhere in the top 10 unperked fighters in AH.

One thing I particularly like about it is its (not quite) Spitfire XVI like performance without the Spitfire's fragility and short legs.

The Ki-84 is an awesome machine but it falls behind the Spit16 in climb rate, turn rate, acceleration and weapon lethality.

You can compare the two (or any other planes) here:  http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php 

I agree that is a top 10 non-perked ride though.  One of the more surviveable attack planes that's easy to fly.

lol 16's are an easy kill :rolleyes:

That's just silly.  Do you mean easy kill using a Zero/Hurri/Brewster against it in a glacial speed knife fight or
a 51D/F4U/Typhoon/K-4 BNZ-ing it to death?

Given reasonably matched pilots in a semi-fair merge, the Spit16 is a handful.  It's hated (and loved) for a reason: It's very dangerous.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2010, 02:47:11 PM »

The Ki-84 is an awesome machine but it falls behind the Spit16 in climb rate, turn rate, acceleration and weapon lethality.

You can compare the two (or any other planes) here:  http://gonzoville.com/ahcharts/index.php 

I agree that is a top 10 non-perked ride though.  One of the more surviveable attack planes that's easy to fly.

That's just silly.  Do you mean easy kill using a Zero/Hurri/Brewster against it in a glacial speed knife fight or

Given reasonably matched pilots in a semi-fair merge, the Spit16 is a handful.  It's hated (and loved) for a reason: It's very dangerous.
very dangerous but me and my zero have no problemo handling that baby flyer ride! :aok unless someone like tony decides to go noob on me...
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: March 30, 2010, 03:25:53 PM »

they are easy due to the fact the most who fly them are noobs that haven't a clue, Most long time sticks don't fly it, I do though, it is a great plane and I enjoy flying it I generally take it up when the horde gets outta control, BUT flying it constantly will give you bad habits for sure.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2010, 03:37:44 PM »
BUT flying it constantly will give you bad habits for sure.

:headscratch: (For the most part) Spits actually make you fight, as they aren't the fastest. I think flying the Spit9 has improved my knowledge of ACM as it generally can do most maneuvers that others can't, hence the whines. Spits can E fight well, turn well, and BnZ above Par, thus improving all aspects of flying IMO. Granted, most people graduate from Spits after they've learned some ACM, and apply the knowledge to other planes which are a bit more specified as to how to fly them in combat. ex. using E fighting knowledge to fly Ki-84 or K4. Most people don't stay with the Spit long enough, but it does have certain tricks that only it can pull off, as do most planes, and can be a blast to fly exclusively.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: March 30, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »
:headscratch: (For the most part) Spits actually make you fight, as they aren't the fastest. I think flying the Spit9 has improved my knowledge of ACM as it generally can do most maneuvers that others can't, hence the whines. Spits can E fight well, turn well, and BnZ above Par, thus improving all aspects of flying IMO. Granted, most people graduate from Spits after they've learned some ACM, and apply the knowledge to other planes which are a bit more specified as to how to fly them in combat. ex. using E fighting knowledge to fly Ki-84 or K4. Most people don't stay with the Spit long enough, but it does have certain tricks that only it can pull off, as do most planes, and can be a blast to fly exclusively.

I agree
 I very much enjoy them, very deadly planes, what im saying is if you fly the 16 exclusively then for some reason you fly something else, especially a non-spit, you will find your self flat spinning inverted out of control  :rofl 
 They teach bad habits, they have no weakness really to speak of, magnificent plane.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2010, 03:07:11 AM »
I agree
 I very much enjoy them, very deadly planes, what im saying is if you fly the 16 exclusively then for some reason you fly something else, especially a non-spit, you will find your self flat spinning inverted out of control  :rofl  
 They teach bad habits, they have no weakness really to speak of, magnificent plane.

how can they teach bad habits?  spit8 is flown a little different than the spit9 and the spit16 is flown a lot different than any of the other spits.  each plane is flown a little or lots different than the other planes.  you cant fly the f4u the same way as the f6f or the p38 and yet I see people flying it as if they thought it was a 109.  not that they have bad habits, just they dont know how to fly it correctly.  there's no such thing as a bad habit, unless all you do is ho and ram and then if you are good at it and live then it is a skill  :D.

the spit16 main weakness is that people cant fly it right.  all they do is jump around trying to get you to overshoot or go straight up trying to get you to stall.  I always laugh when I see them do that or when they reverse 3 or 4 times.  I just stay above them inverted and watch them think they lost me and boom, they die. and oh yeah I almost forgot, they cant out turn the other spits when they have their nose pointing up.  nose pointing down a little harder to get a kill.

semp

« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:14:50 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
. and oh yeah I almost forgot, they cant out turn the other spits when they have their nose pointing up.  nose pointing down a little harder to get a kill.

semp

Spit16 will outturn(flaps in IIRC), outroll, outrun, and outclimb the 8.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2010, 05:12:58 PM »
how can they teach bad habits?  spit8 is flown a little different than the spit9 and the spit16 is flown a lot different than any of the other spits.  each plane is flown a little or lots different than the other planes.  you cant fly the f4u the same way as the f6f or the p38 and yet I see people flying it as if they thought it was a 109.  not that they have bad habits, just they dont know how to fly it correctly.  there's no such thing as a bad habit, unless all you do is ho and ram and then if you are good at it and live then it is a skill  :D.

the spit16 main weakness is that people cant fly it right.  all they do is jump around trying to get you to overshoot or go straight up trying to get you to stall.  I always laugh when I see them do that or when they reverse 3 or 4 times.  I just stay above them inverted and watch them think they lost me and boom, they die. and oh yeah I almost forgot, they cant out turn the other spits when they have their nose pointing up.  nose pointing down a little harder to get a kill.

semp

maybe someone with better articulation can explain it.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: March 31, 2010, 05:33:24 PM »

You sure on the out turn?  I've found that the regular span wing of the VIII doesn't stall as fast as the clipped wing in a turn fight and the XVI will have to roll out sooner of lose it.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #174 on: March 31, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »
You sure on the out turn?  I've found that the regular span wing of the VIII doesn't stall as fast as the clipped wing in a turn fight and the XVI will have to roll out sooner of lose it.

The VIII also has better turn performance at low/stall speeds.  Frankly, other than having full wings and 350 extra pounds, the VIII is pretty much the same plane as the XVI.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 31, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »

I still prefer the Ki-84's weapon package. For me, lethality isn't only pure firepower weight. The Ki's guns are mounted close to the centerline and the cannons have a higher ROF than the Hispanos. This is giving me a much better, tighter grouping, makes convergence range less of an issue and is better suited for very short snapshots (the kind of shots that often happen in a furball or during scissoring). For me, the Ki-84 is a better gun platform, On average I can get more kills out of a Ki-84's gun & ammo package than I can get from the Spit 16.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #176 on: March 31, 2010, 08:09:50 PM »
I still prefer the Ki-84's weapon package. For me, lethality isn't only pure firepower weight. The Ki's guns are mounted close to the centerline and the cannons have a higher ROF than the Hispanos. This is giving me a much better, tighter grouping, makes convergence range less of an issue and is better suited for very short snapshots (the kind of shots that often happen in a furball or during scissoring). For me, the Ki-84 is a better gun platform, On average I can get more kills out of a Ki-84's gun & ammo package than I can get from the Spit 16.
I agree. They are like chainsaws when you hit someone :rock

People underestimate the speed a KI84 can get too without compressing, also its ability to outclimb birds that have more E.....if used right :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2010, 01:53:31 AM »

I was talking about the pilots not the planes.  the spit16 is a great airplane, the pilots that fly it, not so good.

maybe someone with better articulation can explain it.

read rule #4.  dont turn into one of them "you misspelt one word, so we cannot understand you" guys.  

semp
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:56:16 AM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2010, 06:40:49 AM »
read rule #4.  dont turn into one of them "you misspelt one word, so we cannot understand you" guys.  

semp
i have to! i have to say this but rule number 5 works too!!!  :rofl as i violate rule #5 for saying u violated rule #5. could you get hit with a skuzzy edit if you violate #5 to tell someone else they violated #5? :lol shutting up
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
i have to! i have to say this but rule number 5 works too!!!  :rofl as i violate rule #5 for saying u violated rule #5. could you get hit with a skuzzy edit if you violate #5 to tell someone else they violated #5? :lol shutting up

Bar, I've unilaterally decided that this post isn't worth reading. Everyone delete it from your memory banks. The guy to whom you're responding, well, his post was unworthy as well and, based on what I've seen of him, isn't worth the time of day anyway.

From now on, come to me for snap whimsical judgments on who's an arscheklown and what post is worth reading. Leaving it to Skuzzy is a formula for poisoning your mind with the message of the antichrist who, like Skuzzy, is reputed to be both ancient and ageless.

What are rules 4 and 5?

Either way, I figure I'm all right so long as they don't bar sarcasm.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.