Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2010, 09:05:36 AM »
Do any of you know how long the trans-Atlantic flights are probably going to be closed for?

Just spotted this one. Anyway, what I can say is that no-one can say. Just check every day. Eruptions like this one can last for months, and the wind will take the ashes wherever it blows. On top of that, if there is little wind, the ashes can enter the jetstream, and go just about anywhere.
If this goes on for a couple of months like this, not to mention if the big neighbour volcano, mt. Katla goes off, - then we are also in for a periodical change of global temperature, - and it can be quite a bit.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:11 PM »
Here is a link to imagesdone with the "face" of the Volcano. Well, humour always helps ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
This volcano is killing me, smalls.  Got 4 consultants I'm tying to get through Frankfurt this weekend en route to Eastern Europe.  Has made for a blast of a Friday morning at the office...

Also, I saw that picture of the craters earlier...pretty cool coincidence, that. 

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »
Just spotted this one. Anyway, what I can say is that no-one can say. Just check every day. Eruptions like this one can last for months, and the wind will take the ashes wherever it blows. On top of that, if there is little wind, the ashes can enter the jetstream, and go just about anywhere.
If this goes on for a couple of months like this, not to mention if the big neighbour volcano, mt. Katla goes off, - then we are also in for a periodical change of global temperature, - and it can be quite a bit.

as longs as it makes it warmer for us in England, I am all for it  :lol
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2010, 02:13:08 PM »
Here is a link to imagesdone with the "face" of the Volcano. Well, humour always helps ;)

Link?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »

Thanks - guess I may be late for school  :lol

as longs as it makes it warmer for us in England, I am all for it  :lol

Nah, snow rocks!  ;)
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/¯________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2010, 03:27:47 PM »
<Shamelessly ripped off from Facebook / Twitter etc>

Angus - someone's made a mistake - the memo from Britain read "send the cash".

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2010, 05:30:24 PM »
It is a tongue-breaker :D
Anyway, now he ashes are falling and they stop air-traffic. This will affect the N-Atlantic now. With an unfortunate wind direction, trans-Atlantic flights might stop.
Ash-fall forecast here:
http://www.ruv.is/sites/default/files/skjol/oskuspa.jpg
And a heck of a picture, - probably the best farm in the country, right under the kettle:
(Image removed from quote.)

That your farm?  MSN has this same exact photo on their website and it was heavily photoshopped to make the sky and smoke a lot darker and more menacing.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
That your farm?  MSN has this same exact photo on their website and it was heavily photoshopped to make the sky and smoke a lot darker and more menacing.

ack-ack

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507/ns/world_news

Link to MSN picture.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032507/ns/world_news

Link to MSN picture.

That wasn't the picture they had on their site yesterday.  The one they had didn't have the date imprint and the smoke clouds and sky were much darker.

*edit*
Here is the Reuters picture that was used on MSN yesterday and other news publications.

and the original as posted by Angus.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 06:53:35 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2010, 06:56:05 PM »

ack-ack

That is not my farm. You can see it here:
www.gardsauki.is
Well...some of it.
Anyway, the show is staring. The clouds are away now, so untill darkness I could see the huge coulumn of steam, smoke and ash rising, and then the higher winds hrab it and blow off,,,,,to somewhere.
Anyway, - some of the newest jokes. A little humor sometimes helps....
http://memegenerator.net/pissed-off-volcanogod/ImageMacro/891213/pissed-off-volcanogod-heres-your-ash-oh-wait-you-said-cash.jpg

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2010, 06:18:35 AM »
News update. The eruption goes on and on, and now I can see it. We have lightnings in the ash-clouds visible in the darkness, and in daylight there is a mighty column of steam, smoke, and ash rising up to some 30K if the wind doesn't scatter it before.
Farmlands nearby are under a bombardment of fine ash, so there is a black blizzard in the midst of day. Farmers have been on the go around the clock to tend their lifestock. The next days will reveal how bad things are, but they are getting bad.
The ash will poison surface water and crops, and put a dent in the animal feed production in the country, since this is about the worst time of year to get this on to the ground. This may affect other countries as well.
Many roads are blocked, either for security reasons (many people are eager to win the Darwin award), as well as being severed by floods or simply impassable (poor visibility, and ashes will also eventually stop any engine).
Theonly good news is that, if anything, - the eruption might be on the retreat, - measurements indicate a relived pressure in the magma chambers.
I'll post pictures later.

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2010, 06:28:46 AM »
Local news reports are saying that ash has been found on Mt Rainier, being as your winds seem to blow to the east, that means it's almost all the way around the world already..  Oh man, this will probably screw up the summertime this yr, again!
Volcano's  I hate em!

:salute Stay safe  RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »
Not so long ago i had to shift snow and now its gonna be ash  :cry

Havent seen any ash YET around me and i hope i never will. I just finished getting my boats ready for summer so i dont want to clean them again!

Angus... put a cork in it!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »
Will do. Just waiting for a surrender notice from Gordon Brown  :devil