Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7192 times)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #90 on: April 17, 2010, 10:18:23 AM »
 :rofl

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2010, 12:30:39 PM »
Ack-Ack, - looks they fixed the picture a bit. It could be as little as Photoshop's "auto-level" with a little more contrast.
The photgrapher is the farmer there, and they are stuck in a dark blizzard. My heart bleeds for them, and if I do not have to share their disaster I will try to do what I can to help them out once this hell is over.
Here is the view from approximately where I live:
http://www.mbl.is/frimg/5/28/528298.jpg

And a link to a webcam less than 1 km away. Click on "Hvolsvöllur"

www.mila.is/eldgos

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
The Swedish national aircraft company SAS is about to go bust. It struggled alot economically before this eruption but this has put them over the edge really.

Thanks for the updates Angus, keep em coming! not much in the media over here, like 3 mins on the news show and thats it really. So any updates are apriciated.

My cousin and his family was supposed to fly home from Thailand yesterday, he called me for advice on where to go, i told him to go to Koh Samet, a paradise island 2-3 hours out from Bangkok, i guess they wont suffer too much. But if it keeps on for another year or so, making it back from Asia might be a bit harsh.

Haha. Mankind is a small creature lol.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
The Swedish national aircraft company SAS is about to go bust. It struggled alot economically before this eruption but this has put them over the edge really.

Thanks for the updates Angus, keep em coming! not much in the media over here, like 3 mins on the news show and thats it really. So any updates are apriciated.

My cousin and his family was supposed to fly home from Thailand yesterday, he called me for advice on where to go, i told him to go to Koh Samet, a paradise island 2-3 hours out from Bangkok, i guess they wont suffer too much. But if it keeps on for another year or so, making it back from Asia might be a bit harsh.

Haha. Mankind is a small creature lol.

SAS is scandinavian blunder, not a swedish national airline ;)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2010, 01:19:08 PM »
SAS is scandinavian blunder, not a swedish national airline ;)

The Swedish state is like one of the largest owners.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: April 17, 2010, 01:36:48 PM »
The Swedish state is like one of the largest owners.

Thank cod for that  ;)

Dont tell anyone but the Norwegain state is planning to sell its share

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2010, 06:50:25 AM »
Cod? Did someone say Cod?

Anyway, as fos SAS, all the airline companies suffer, - and the weaker ones may fall. But bear in mind that once air traffic will begin again, there will be a lot to do, since people are now stuck in all possible places around the globe. I guess the perfect world will open to the airline companies that were less busy.

Here is a picture from yesterday, taken from less than a kilometer from my house. A wall of ash over some of the farmlands. Bad, but could be worse, since this is close to the shortest distance to the sea, from where the ash will not return.
Being in the farming sector, I cross my fingers for everyone, - including myself of course. Many have lifestock that is never housed, - noteably Horses. With enough fine dust in the air, they will suffer a slow death, unless taken out of their misery before. The farmlands under the ash cloud now have an average of 1-2 cm, which will probably mean zero crops this year, - there will be crops, but they will be poisoned. In some places the ash is thicker, - some farmers are using the opportunities in wind-stills orwind-turns to shovel it from their roofs.
Here is the picture. Spent yesterday looking at this, and then the lightnings in the cloud once it was dark. My heart sometimes misses a beat, and I grind my teeth in grief for my brethren in the dust.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2010, 11:22:42 AM »
I don't get why people are "stuck" around the world. Southern Europe is still open for air travel and Europe has an integrated rail network. A one day trip would instead take two or three days, thats all. Of course if ground transportation services are stressed over capacity things may take a lot longer.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »
I don't get why people are "stuck" around the world. Southern Europe is still open for air travel and Europe has an integrated rail network. A one day trip would instead take two or three days, thats all. Of course if ground transportation services are stressed over capacity things may take a lot longer.
I don't think any flights from the U.S or any other part of the world are going to those closed airports, so they are stuck there.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline expat

• Silver Member
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2010, 12:01:27 PM »
I got into Frankfurt just  as they closed the airport .The queues at the train station were unbelievable.
so far i have been able to go to the places i want to on the train network  and have been able to find hotels easily enough.
My only worry is not being able to get back to Muscat for work next saturday........actually im not worried i dont mind geting stuck in germany  at all :cheers:
goggles on ,chocks away, last one backs a homo  hooraaaaaaaaay!

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
"I don't get why people are "stuck" around the world."

Because 1) Europe isn't the world and 2) only one man has ever been described as being able to walk on water - and that was a l-o-n-g time ago.

Meanwhile, the rumour-machine here in Blighty has the cause of all the trouble down to a drunken Icelandic road-driller who got his aim badly wrong. A suggestion that the Royal Navy should proceed to the island and send the Marines ashore to block all the fuming orifices forthwith has been abandoned because of a shortage of ships and the growing need to use them to evacuate holiday resorts worldwide of whinging Poms before they drive the locals nuts.

Ain't life grand?

:aok
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2010, 08:01:55 PM »
Angus, you guys have caused me  so much trouble. I have just spent the most surreal 'end of world' days ever. I can post it here because it's sufficiently separated from my normal life. Sufficient to say I fly here, hint, hint. Because I'm one of the few commercial pilots flying these days, ATC asked me to report on the ash cloud. This I duly did. I posted on a couple of local websites as you to advice for local pilots. Next thing as I drive to the field this morning. I get a call from my boss asking me to delete a certain post. I agree on the basis that he is my boss and anyway it's not a big deal. When I log on, it's already gone, along with another similar.

Eventually I figure out that the instigator is a much respected local pilot who got to the equivalent of Skuzzy and got my post deleted. Mainly because he doesn't want the local authorities to panic and ban all flying in this country. This I can understand even though I'm peed off that I've been censored.

So today when ATC ask me to report the ash cloud. I'm in a dilemma. Luckily it's absent today.

It's a crazy world right now. I have never known anything like it. Normally I get vectors but the absolute absence of airline traffic is actually disturbing.

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2010, 02:30:49 AM »
"I don't get why people are "stuck" around the world."

Because 1) Europe isn't the world and 2) only one man has ever been described as being able to walk on water - and that was a l-o-n-g time ago.

Again, airports in southern Europe are open. Take a flight to Spain or Italy and use ground/sea transport from there.

http://www.airlineindustryreview.com/list-of-european-airport-closures-and-status/
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2010, 02:39:34 AM »
There were like 6 flights from here to Trondheim in Norway yesterday. Seems like every opportunity is used to cross the sea where possible, and then use land transport for the rest

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2010, 02:43:24 AM »
Many are using southern europe to access the rest of europe. Almost half the flights from the US are still getting to europe last time i checked but the problem is getting from there. Busses and trains are packed all over europe and even our prime minister who was in New York when this happened had to fly to Spain and then rent a car to get all the way up to norway because all the trains were full.

Hopefully this will be the final push our government needed to get started on a high-speed rail network that has been discussed for atleast a decade.