Author Topic: P-47N, 1st FS, 413 FG  (Read 5429 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: P-47N, 1st FS, 413 FG
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 02:20:07 AM »
Cannot separate anti-glare from the materials file. It's hard-coded in on the P-38s which makes things worse for them, so I count my blessings. I'll tone down the sheen a bit.

Hopefully tomorrow or the next I'll take a look (okay, "another look" hehe, I've checked them out more than once!) at the D25 and 51D skins mentioned

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 02:28:55 AM »
Coupla detail suggestions:   Weren't the 50s gunports numbered on the leading edge of the wing?    I know I've seen that before but not sure if they carried the practice through on the N.

The red squares at the wing root - should they have text the says "STEP HERE" or something similar?   Or perhaps "NO STEP" somewhere along the wing's trailing edge?

Sorry, forgot these:

1) Haven't seen any in these pics. They are almost devoid of all markings/minutae! I had them on initially, but turned them off. Consequently, it seems my previous 47Ns are wrong in this regard.

2) I don't know if they all needed a "no step" but I noticed some don't have it. This is another 47N from the same time at the same field/area:
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/barneybolac/Scan4-1.jpg

None there. So, in the spirit of "almost devoid of stencils" I did not add anything.

:aok

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 02:15:17 PM »
Skins looks great Krusty, I look forward to flying at 30k in it.
Strokes

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 03:28:20 PM »
I'm seriously happy with the new generation of skins that are being submitted, they look awesome.

Props to all the skinners.  :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2010, 05:45:09 AM »

None there. So, in the spirit of "almost devoid of stencils" I did not add anything.

Some more pics to confirm your point on NO STEP.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »
Lookin' sharp!

:aok
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:15 PM »
Just make sure you only have one aileron trim tab on the correct wing.  Also, I'm not a fan of gun soot around the barrels, as I've yet to see a photo from the war that shows gun soot around the barrels.  Also, I don't like the effect on the cowl flaps.  The only time cowl flaps were opened was during taxi and takeoff.  The other 95% of the time, cowl flaps were closed.  The BMF needs to have a less homogeneous finish.  It looks too "clean" and "uniform".  Most of the shots I've seen, BMF aircraft look more "burnished" than polished.

Anyway, always nice to see N Jug skins...

Interesting observations Stoney~ very sharp skin Holmes, very nice aluminum finish. 

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 02:00:36 PM »
Sorry about the lack of updates. I haven't given up on this or the Fw190. I've been busy working on revamping my skins webpage from the ground up. May superficially look the same but it's very different. Better, IMO. Bringing the last few categories up to spec now, and need to go over the tutorial and re-type it, update it, whatever, and then it'll be ready for upload.

The code on this one has been running me ragged, but I finally got it all working together as I wanted!  :cheers:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Major revision
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 10:10:29 PM »
Okay, fellows, here's my latest efforts. And boy-howdy was it a lot of effort!

I've removed half of the weathering and detail layers I had, created about a dozen (or more) new layers, tweaked pre-existing details, re-created from scratch other details, and finally changed the materials.txt values to something I can live with in conjunction with how they react to the in-game bitmap!!

Whew!!

Definitely looking for feedback. My eyes need a break because I'm happy with it and that means I need to not look at it for a few days, lol!

I'm attaching 4 new screenshots, but also uploaded a short youtube clip (as before) to show sun/materials interaction. Although this is still processing (give it a little time), the link is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGNtI6CmnE

And the screenshots are below. Feedback much appreciated!

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 10:20:57 PM »
Looks a lot better than before. Only thing I have to ask about is the underside of the wings look very dirty compared to the top? Is that normal? I can see how it would be from the wheels & so forth kicking up dirt. If so very well done.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 10:25:17 PM »
There are 2 components to that. There is indeed some mud and grime I added assuming tires kick some of this up.

There is also a shadow/shading element from trying to get some resemblence of the darker shades that the ground adds to metal when parked or flying low.

I know that this is somewhat out of place when not near the ground, and this is something I'm willing to live wish considering MA use only allows you to see the skins on the ground. It's a detail that helps when in context and hurts when out of context.

Of course, if I didn't do it, the reverse would be true: It would look funny when sitting on the ground but better when flying at alts. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't. I chose the path that makes more sense for MA users.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:07 PM »
If you look at an earlier top-wing shot, you'll see a very faint joint between the wing and flap.  The flaps on the P-47 were mounted underneath a portion of the upper wing skin, so that when they were retracted, it was an almost flush transition.  The ailerons should be conspicuous as they are.  So, a nit-picky detail.  See the photo Lyric posted from behind--you can see what I mean.

That's a pretty neat BMF effect you've got there.  You got a shot of the wings from the cockpit?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:51 PM »
I agree with Lyric, looks very good, a definite improvement! The underside of the wings standout to me also.

The only minuscule thing that bothers me is that the smudges/grime on the undersides of the wings are mirrored. Hardly an issue and just about no one will ever notice it, probably doesn't warrant a change, but it's gnawing at me. :)

Good job.
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2010, 10:51:38 PM »
The flaps on the P-47 were mounted underneath a portion of the upper wing skin, so that when they were retracted, it was an almost flush transition.

That's how I originally had it, then was second guessing myself. I can take that out again.

Wings don't look all that great, because you're so close. More geared for external views, but I have attached 2 pics of left/right wings.

The only minuscule thing that bothers me is that the smudges/grime on the undersides of the wings are mirrored. Hardly an issue and just about no one will ever notice it, probably doesn't warrant a change, but it's gnawing at me. :)

I suppose I can fix some of that, but I was placing the streaks and smears where 1) the wheels would kick mud up against deployed flaps on takeoffs from muddy/dirty island fields, 2) where the water would drip out of the gear doors during retraction, and where it would hit the flaps after that (they line up) and 3) where any gun exhaust might collect against flaps that were used during manuvers in a dogfight.

That was the logical thought process I used. It kind of leads to a symmetrical appearance. I'll consider re-tweaking one side enough to make it look different.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the screenshots
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 10:53:38 PM by Krusty »

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
Excellent work, Krusty! I like your creative approach to the weathering and dirtying on this skin. Adds a bit of flavor to the aircraft and game.  :aok
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies