Author Topic: Possible bug with the P-38J top speed in a dive  (Read 424 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Possible bug with the P-38J top speed in a dive
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:41:22 AM »
Since the last patch I have noticed something off about the P-38J in a dive.  You can hit 600mph in a dive now from as little as 15,000ft and you can trim out as long as you do it before you hit 600mph.  600mph seems to be the wall you hit because as soon as you hit that speed you lose plane parts, usually elevators but yesterday I snapped off the ailerons as soon as I hit 600mph.

Lost Aileron High Speed Dive Test

I don't have the film but later on that night, after a suggestion from GuppyJr, I took off again in a P-38J and climbed to 15,000ft then rolled over and dove straight to the ground.  As soon as I started to hit 500mph TAS, I trimmed out of the dive and leveled out doing what looked to be something around 575-580mph TAS.  I didn't lose any plane parts while pulling out and only briefly blacked out but never passed out.  The plane was creaking like Hell and I was afraid to pull any Gs after leveling out but as soon as my speed dropped to 550mph, the creaking stopped and I had control enough to pull into a shallow dive although the controls were naturally very sluggish at these speeds but doable with very little help from trimming.

I have just about as many flights as anyone in the P-38 in this game and these have been the only times I've ever seen a P-38 exceed anything above 525mph.  It was also the first time I've ever lost any plane parts due to stressing the plane from overspeeding.  There is something definitely wrong with the top speed of a P-38J's dive, not sure if the G or the L suffer the same but I'm willing to bet it's universal between the Lightnings.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 03:48:12 AM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song