Author Topic: 16./JG5 109G14 'Blaue 8'  (Read 1802 times)

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
16./JG5 109G14 'Blaue 8'
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:39:56 AM »

Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: 16./JG5 109G14 'Blaue 8'
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »
Mus, in general I love your work, but you're churning out a lot of these all based on the same new template before responding to issues with said template.

- They all have the wrong leading edge demarcation patterns. These were not erosion patterns. They were specific shapes and rather uniform. They were also not seen on the H-stabs, as those were too thin to require camo edges like that.

- What's with the BMF-style highlights? White left/right gradients as if catching the light on a very shiny surface, dark shades below as if reflecting ground color (even evident on the blue 8?). Super black wing underside shadows that really are only at home on bare metal skins.

- blue exhaust?

I like your camoflague effects and overall you can paint a plane better than I can. It's all the details that just bug the hell out of me.

Examples:
- Supercharger intake is more than 1 part, and you're not fully painting it so that in-game it has a smooth upper and lower color. You have the ring around the intake, which should have a demarcation upper/lower most times, and then you have the intake itself.

- There is a ring on the front of the fuselage that is part of the prop. It should blend in seamlessly with the prop in most cases, being the same color and same "part" -- just located on another part of the BMP through an oversight.

- The shadow box around the exhaust is not a square shape. It's skewed, with the aft end being 2-3 pixels lower than the front. You can see that it sticks above your "exhaust shroud/sheild" part in the screenshots.

- Stenciling overdone. Red indicator marks by thumb-tab lock-down points, numbers along the fuselage ribs, etc, which were not present on the real craft. The numbers were only on one side of the fuselage, and were for maintenance/production reference. They were rarely seen after the E/F models. Some things were mandatory, like the fill spout triangles, but most of it (especially by the time the G-14s came around) was done away with.

I sent you a PM to spark a discussion with you about some of these issues and hopefully get some of them remedied, but I might as well post it here.

I really like the way you paint, but am starting to really dislike the skins overall. The details are just annoyingly wrong IMO. One or two are forgivable (and, let's face it I've made my mistakes too!), but overall you're applying the same ones to many skins in a row and I gotta point it out now before you do any more!

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 02:37:08 PM »
Krusty with all of that you said i can only agree with a few 'issues'

The blue exaust is a little oversaturated, i can desature it to make it look right again, and believe it or not its based on a photoreal picture of a historic warbird comparible with this shot:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-American-P-51D/1505815/L/

I can look into the demarcation patterns as I myself am not to happy with it

As for the shadows/highlights - in my honest opinion i can't do enough with the materials to make the planes look less cartoonish.  Unless we get a new engine that reflects some good external reflections i'm sticking with the static shine over the paint itself. I happen to experienced this same situation in other sims aswell.

I dont know what your refering to as for the black part behind the spinner, it has been grey/black on the pictures i've seen so far of this bird.

Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
I love the deep rich colors you have on your new skins/reworks Dutch.  I don't find them cartoonish at all.  I love that look. :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »
 :aok

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 04:19:53 PM »
I have a new G14 skin.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:26 PM »
Excellent work, Mus51. Overall, I really dont see anything wrong with this skin. I think your new skins really help make the game a lot less cartoonish. I also like your attention to the small details: panels, riveting, weathering, writing, etc. I think Krusty has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to real small discrepencies that have little significance to the overall look of the skin. But heed him though, as he does have a good eye for such detail.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 05:17:34 PM »
Excellent work, Mus51. Overall, I really dont see anything wrong with this skin. I think your new skins really help make the game a lot less cartoonish. I also like your attention to the small details: panels, riveting, weathering, writing, etc. I think Krusty has a chip on his shoulder when it comes to real small discrepencies that have little significance to the overall look of the skin. But heed him though, as he does have a good eye for such detail.

+1 I like it  :aok
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 03:31:55 AM »
We really could use a "drooling smilie" emoticon.

:x  <---this will just have to do...

Great work Mus51!   :salute
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 06:28:00 AM »
Hey Dutch nice job
 The highlight effect IMO is good
T he paint actually has a sheen to it it wasn't FLAT I think your resent work is outstanding.
Far superior to many current skins in game. The bluing needs to go away as that's what you will see on bare metal like the pony or lets say a motorcycle tail pipe, but not paint.
The over all benefits of your skins far outweigh any extremely minor nitpicks. IMO,
Thanks for your contribution's.
~S~ RaVe   
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:37:43 AM »
I do think the blue exhaust is a mistake. You're using a single picture with a running engine throwing hot air over a bare metal surface. In this picture of 109F4 Red 7, you can clearly see the exhaust stain and there is definitely nothing even close to blue in it. It looks very similar to the way you traditionally see it done in game.

Regards,

Hammer
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
Krusty with all of that you said i can only agree with a few 'issues'

The blue exaust is a little oversaturated, i can desature it to make it look right again, and believe it or not its based on a photoreal picture of a historic warbird comparible with this shot:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/North-American-P-51D/1505815/L/

I can look into the demarcation patterns as I myself am not to happy with it

As for the shadows/highlights - in my honest opinion i can't do enough with the materials to make the planes look less cartoonish.  Unless we get a new engine that reflects some good external reflections i'm sticking with the static shine over the paint itself. I happen to experienced this same situation in other sims aswell.

I dont know what your refering to as for the black part behind the spinner, it has been grey/black on the pictures i've seen so far of this bird.
I'm no skinner Mus but...that blue along the exhaust is wrong on any painted aircraft and especially the 109s, none of them were bare metal and only certain types of bare metal turn blue along the edges like that with heat.

The paint that was used on the German planes was a flat not satin or gloss...it made them more difficult to spot while on the ground or when hit with search lights since there was no light reflection.

German fighters were rarely pristine after just a few days out of the factory...ground crews would paint over factory markings according to the pilots desires...if you really want to do those skins justice, dirty them up...make them look like they have been used, not restored or factory fresh.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Mus51

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 02:22:24 PM »
Little update:
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 02:23:59 PM by Mus51 »
Regards,

DutchGuy

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 02:37:45 PM »
That looks nice...no blue exhaust...a little weather smudging here and there...Krusty has more eye for the historical details so there is probably something I'm not seeing...but I like that.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Jappa52

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:01 PM »
Quote from: Mus51

:O Ok.... is this touched up or does the game look like this on your comp?! There's actually depth in that pic!
ATTAQUEZET CONQUEREZ
8TH FIGHTER GROUP

Jappa52- 36th FIGHTER SQ Flying Fiends