Author Topic: MY ARENA CAP IDEA  (Read 4246 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: MY ARENA CAP IDEA
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 05:25:34 PM »
 Perhaps a signon poll should be taken :
Be interesting to see the results of that poll.

There's just one problem with polls: Players tend to give answers without thinking of the consequences. You can see this quite a lot on this BBS, when people bring some favourite gameplay ideas again and again that would not really work well  or even damage the game if implemented. Or you can see them vote for airplanes that when put into the game almost nobody flies. Or voting "yes, we want" on a WWI arena, then leaving it after a week. ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »
While you are basically right why the caps do have to be dynamic and not static, the last sentence makes me chuckle a bit. Because that's exactly the situation I face every evening because of the arena caps. ;)

I agree Lusche, you guys across the pond are screwed. Like I said before, if the Atlantic was a couple of time zones bigger it would work out ok. I don't know what the solution is, nor does HTC, but I'll bet they think on it often. Wouldn't you want to cure the biggest "customer complaint" (caps) as soon as possible? The rest would be smooth sailing after that ..... well maybe not with some of the people we have playing these daYS   :P

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »
Wouldn't you want to cure the biggest "customer complaint" (caps) as soon as possible?

I always thought the biggest complaint is either ENY or collision model :D
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:10 PM »
I always thought the biggest complaint is either ENY or collision model :D

maybe it's time for a few more pie charts  :neener:

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »

just look at guncrasher and travelers posts and you'll get your answer. It doesn't matter that HTC needs to do this to keep the game going, both of these guys couldn't care less, it's all about "them". THEY need to fly with their squad, THEY need to fly in a certain arena, THEY don't believe anything HTC has to say, it's all about THEM !

stating my honest opinion as a customer,  ht doesnt really ask why we quit, just some general question.  but not very specific.  I need to fly with my squad, because that's why we have squads, to fly together.  and I need to fly in a certain arena because I want to be in the arena with high numbers, best chance of furballing, which is only reason I am in the game.  You are right its all about me, I spent a lot of money in hardware to play this game and keep on paying monthly dues.  It is in my interest for ht to continue growing, but if the game gets boring to me then I wont play, If I dont play then why keep on paying.

semp

you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2010, 07:18:02 AM »
And therein lies a large part of the problem.  Players thinking they need to be in the high count arena to be able to have fun.  If you are looking to furball and you head into a strat arena, then it probably would take several hundred players to find a handful who want to furball and not play strat war.

The issue here being, you are looking at the wrong arena to find your fun, but it is not an uncommon problem.

Yesterday, I went into the WW1 arena with only 10 players in it.  The difference here is, those 10 players all have the same mindset.  They want to furball and do nothing else.  It was a blast.  I'll take that 10 player arena for furballing over a 500 player arena full of strat players any day of the week.

I'll never understand squads who refuse to fight between themselves either.  Seems to me if you want quality fights, you fight against those you know best as friends.  One squad, split up between two fields, could furball all night and have a blast.  I often think players who are part of a squad and refuse to do that, are just looking for easy kills and not really good fights at all.  i.e. It is much easier to cherry pick a 500+ player arena, than actually mix it up with like-minded players.

Then again, it could simply be they do not want to put any effort into getting what they want and expect it to be served up on a silver platter.

Bottomline is this;  This game is really all about what you make of it.  If you expect everyone around you to play the way you want to play, you are in for disappointment and frustration.  One of the big reasons squads exist is to allow a mechanism for like-minded players to get together so you do not have to find others who play the way you like.  It allows instant action (in any arena) when you finally put the "I aint playing against my sqaud" mentality away.

The dynamic caps exist because human nature is go to the "big" arena.  Afterall, it must be the fun place to be or it would be empty.  Some type of system will always be there.  You learn to work with it and have fun, or try to fight it and be miserable.

Yes, it does create problems for different time zones.  And yes, everyone here is still trying to come up with a way to reduce the issues that exist with the current system, without creating more problems.  I am also thinking when we re-introduce the head-to-head arenas, they will serve to reduce some of these issues.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24:33 AM »
Yesterday, I went into the WW1 arena with only 10 players in it.  The difference here is, those 10 players all have the same mindset.  They want to furball and do nothing else.  It was a blast.  I'll take that 10 player arena for furballing over a 500 player arena full of strat players any day of the week.
The one downside i've seen in WWI already though is the score ho's already, they try to steal kills etc. I'm not always flying in WWI so idk if it happens all the time but i lost 2 kills a few weeks ago due to people jumping a con im already shooting up parts flying off.
Then again, it could simply be they do not want to put any effort into getting what they want and expect it to be served up on a silver platter.
Nailed it, set it, puddied it up, and painted over it :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2010, 10:02:06 PM »
Took me 4 hours to get into orange today to play with sqadmates.  And just now having a awesome tank fight in orange and goot booted and I can't even get back into orange.  This is Ridiculous and very Frustrating.  Please remove the cap and let us play where we want to play.  Thank You
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2010, 10:03:15 PM »
It will never happen, for reasons HTC has stated.  If your squad cared, they'd meet you in Blue.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2010, 01:05:06 AM »
It will never happen, for reasons HTC has stated.  If your squad cared, they'd meet you in Blue.

This.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2010, 01:47:56 AM »

Yeah. Take those damn caps off indoors..! It's rude.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:41 AM »
It will never happen, for reasons HTC has stated.  If your squad cared, they'd meet you in Blue.

Well, it did happen for a while, when WWI arenas were added.  Didn't anyone else notice?  :uhoh

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2010, 03:40:41 AM »
Well, it did happen for a while, when WWI arenas were added.  Didn't anyone else notice?  :uhoh

did notice was the most fun I have had in a while.  I am working swing shift, I dont even bother to log, last year when i worked swing i had a choice of a closed 200 player arena or a 60 player mostly porker arena.  I gave up and played pogo.  which is what I do now.  triying to think of ways to justify playing sayint to myself the 160 players at 10 pm pst aint too bad.  but i remember when there was no caps we had at least 250 players here.  oh well, choice is either take it or leave it and play pogo permanently.  same reason i quit several times before.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2010, 06:02:58 AM »
did notice was the most fun I have had in a while.  I am working swing shift, I dont even bother to log, last year when i worked swing i had a choice of a closed 200 player arena or a 60 player mostly porker arena.  I gave up and played pogo.  which is what I do now.  triying to think of ways to justify playing sayint to myself the 160 players at 10 pm pst aint too bad.  but i remember when there was no caps we had at least 250 players here.  oh well, choice is either take it or leave it and play pogo permanently.  same reason i quit several times before.

semp
i gotta say...log on at a different time... I log on around 9am EST and 4-6pm EST. I have a blast
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:10 AM »
ok, so ive read that the capping is a result of aces high not growing. i was ready to cancel due to lack of interest on my part in the main arena and lack of new maps.  ww1 saved me. but anyways,
  so here goes my idea: instead of capping the number of people in an arena, how about capping the number of planes a base can support in the air? lets say a small base can support 20 aircraft, 30 for a medium base, 40 for a large base. this way you will force a country to spread the fights. we all know its really annoying to not be able to get in the "big arena". what was evident was that  more  players liked having the caps removed by looking at the numbers.

by capping the number of planes a base can support, missions will need to be planned different. town killers up from 1 base, fighters from another.  this kind of change will allow squad nights to not be interupted, will allow everyone to be in the arena with the big numbers, will limit the hordes in 1 small area.  the maps are large enough to support this, the are too big to have a cap of 200. hopefully skuzzy will read this idea as i have not read this anywhere else. 

Says the horder. Interesting.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com