Author Topic: Knife fighting  (Read 692 times)

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Knife fighting
« on: April 13, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »
I've never been quite clear on what this is, how you 'do' it, and what planes are best at doing it.

Any help appreciated (sorry for the really vague help request, but I really do have no clue about this ;)).
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Knife fighting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 09:36:33 PM »
My take on a knife fight is this..... When you are at a point where the option to extend has gone... you are both D600 or less in a turning battle.... the only way out is to finish or be finished......stall buffet screaming, merges so slow and close you can see the expressions on the cons face (so to speak)...some last seconds...some last for what seems forever.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 06:49:09 AM »
The opposite of Boom and zoom, a knife fight in a phone booth is pretty much what it sounds like.

Close in tight turning action, each trying to gain enough angles on the other guy to get behind and get a shot.

A6m's, early war spits, hurri's all do it well. You still want to use good tactics, ie immelman on merge, keep the fight somewhat in the vertical.

Knife fights tend to be more about merges, as a slight advantage coming out of a merge can be quick life or death.
Good deflection and lead shooting help, as you'll seldom have a shot where the other guy is not turning.

To me basic turnfight is where all combat should start, then as you gain knowledge and experience you step up the ladder to Energy fighting and Boom and Zoom tactics. But they all work better with a good foundation of knife fighting tactics. As most any fight has the potential to end up as a pure knife fight.

Come see me some afternoon in the TA, we'll grab a pair of D3a1's and show you what a really tight fight can look like.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:16:54 PM »
Come see me some afternoon in the TA, we'll grab a pair of D3a1's and show you what a really tight fight can look like.

Thanks - looking forward to it ;)

What days/times would be best for you?  I'll be in GMT, with a slightly hectic school schedule for the next few months, so it may be a while until we can meet up.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »
Shoot me a pm or an email when you have a bit of time free.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:21:22 PM »
A knife fight is any close quarters turn and burn fight. You can do it in any plane, just some planes are better suited for that kind of fight then others.
Lighten up Francis

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 11:30:43 AM »
I tried to separate Turn and Burn into individual components with the idea that it would be easier to learn things in stages.  So far I have burn down fairly well, turn not so much. :) 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.