Author Topic: PC performance optimizer  (Read 914 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
PC performance optimizer
« on: April 18, 2010, 08:53:24 AM »
Im looking for software to optimize an PC. Each one claims their the best and was wondering what others used and how well it works
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: PC performance optimizer
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 08:58:36 AM »
The only performance optimizer I've ever found  that works is a complete re-install.

That said, I have been very happy with windows 7 compared to windows XP.

I did use CCleaner on winXP to fix a few specific registry errors, and it never caused any harm.  It fixed one or two problems I had and probably cleaned up a number of hidden problems, but it certainly didn't make the computer act as if it was a new installation.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:00:59 AM »
I agree with Eagl... I'd recommend 1 or 2 different programs like CCLeaner and Spybot at one time. One generally finds the 1 or 2 things the other did not.

I still recommend a complete format every year, regardless of how clean the machine is.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
What all is involved in a reformat? Is reformatting basically clearing the hard drive of everything and reinstalling your OS?

I'm sure my AH computer could use a reformat, but I don't want to screw anything up. I do have a XP disc, but will I have to take it that far?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:10:13 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 09:42:56 AM »
Glary Utilities is good too.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:48:28 AM »
Uptown, you stick your Windows disk in and boot from it: reformat and reinstall windows.  Also, there's the re-installation of all your other software and games.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
What all is involved in a reformat? Is reformatting basically clearing the hard drive of everything and reinstalling your OS?

I'm sure my AH computer could use a reformat, but I don't want to screw anything up. I do have a XP disc, but will I have to take it that far?
You just need the disk and a valid windows Cd key. Yes it wipes the hard drive and is a fresh install of windows, makes it much faster again.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 10:02:28 AM »
Do you have to uninstall the OS first though?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:06:33 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 10:19:04 AM »

No....But you might have to direct your computer to boot off the CD in the Bios and if your mother board needs 3rd party software drivers for sata lan, vid   etc... you may also need the drivers for that at install.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 10:34:15 AM »
Doing a re-install of the operating system is pretty simple, but it IS time consuming.

If you are serious about "wiping the drive" and doing a complete reinstall of the OS and software, you need to follow a couple of steps.

1. Identify the manufacturer of your harddrive.
2. Visit their website and see if they offer diagnostic software for their drives. If so download the version for your drive.
3. Follow their instructions for creating a bootable CD to use on your machine.
4. Run the manufactures software and write 0's(zeros) to the drive.
5. Insert your Windows CD/DVD and begin the reinstall.

Writing zeros to the drive will get rid of EVERYTHING on the drive. Doing a standard format on deletes the first and last parts of the drive.

This will ensure a clean install of all windows and software files. It almost promises that things will go smoothly the first time.

If you go this route, your looking at 3-4 hours depending on the size of your harddrive.
Do it smart....

Identify all the hardware in your system and download the appropriate drivers before anything else!. Burn those drivers to a CD and keep it readily available until the reinstall is completed.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
No in the windows install manager it wipes it when you do a fresh install...just gotta back stuff up.

FlyKommando.com

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 11:19:04 AM »
For goodness sake - if you're doing a clean install for the first time, remember to back everything up to another machine or external drive before you start.

Your wife / significant other will not be impressed if you lose 10 years of digital photographs trying to make AH2 10 FPS faster.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 12:52:09 PM »
 :lol thanks for the advice Wooley. I already have that covered  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »
Once a year complete  wipe,  reformat, reinstall OS, drivers, software.
With practice, and backups you can do it in 4 - 5 hours.

In between Glary Utilities.
Simple enough for anyone to understand, yet full featured enough for the power user.

Offline AApache

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 07:45:28 AM »
BEST WAY TO OPTIMIZE YOUR PC !!!! 

"WE WEREN'T ASSIGNED WE WERE REQUESTED"....Lt.Col.Benjamin O. Davis of the Tuskegee Airmen 

https://youtu.be/B2sDNT91Rzw

https://youtu.be/KaufhZv84Gk