Author Topic: System probs, may be video  (Read 1164 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
System probs, may be video
« on: October 02, 2001, 05:47:00 PM »
Hi all,

Here is what I have in the wsay of a problem. I built this system about 2 weeks ago.
ATX case 300 watts PS
AMD tbird 1.4 gig not overclocked or heating.
DFI mobo, VIA chipset & Latest drivers from DFI site. (less than 2 months old)
DDR2100 266 RAM
win 98
Voodoo 3 3000 (old card, ran outa $)
Voodoo drivers tweaked at omega's site (1.07+)
SB clone sound card (Avance)
DX9.0a
New HD (40 gig 7200 rpm)
and my old 4 gig HD

I let the system go into sleep mode. That caused a hard time getting it back into operation. It wouldn't detect the HD. I got it back up and then had a video failure. It reverted to the standard VGA mode. I selected the standard VGA mode, pulled the voodoo and rebooted. I then shut down, replaced the voodoo let it detect the card and reloaded the video drivers.

I ran fine for a bit then tried AH. The screen locked with a smeared picture on the screen. I had to do a hard reboot. I opened AH again this time in regular (not DX beta 15) and played again. It locked again. I looked and found no conflicts and no indications of driver errors in system properties.

The next day I ran both types of AH. Same thing but the regular version did play longer. I had some CTD's as well as locks.

I have no freaking idea about where to look for a problem here. I did have DX8 loaded before the video drivers. I don't know if I should have reloaded DX after the vid drivers. DX diagnostics indicate no problems in video or sound.

Any clues guys??? Right now I am out of AH because of this. I now notice a CTD when playing tribes. I can play for about 20 minutes then I find myself staring at the desktop just like in AH. There is no warning or indications of problems. Just a CTD.

Mav

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Maverick ]
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2001, 10:32:00 PM »
Chances are your Voodoo is getting overheated by being pushed too hard.  You might try somehow cooling the v3 (they ran hot even when new).  It's also possible that the V3 drivers are not working properly with dx8.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2001, 02:38:00 PM »
Bloom,

The voodoo has a fan on it. I also have a 6" fan blowing into the side of the case and the outer case is off the chasis.

:(

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2001, 04:25:00 PM »
Think I found problem. Swapped cards with my kid. He has old PCI voodoo 3 2000. It works fine/ It is either the AGP port or the voodoo 3 3000 I had. Been playing on and off line for over 2 hours different games and no locks, vid smears or CTD's.

Now to find a good inexpensive vid card... sigh

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2001, 07:36:00 PM »
Seems vid card was the problem. Got a new Nvidia GeForce 2 MX400. So far so good.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown