Author Topic: Processor Upgrade (?)  (Read 1017 times)

scrmbl

Processor Upgrade (?)
« on: March 17, 2000, 03:42:00 AM »
Hi folks

Months ago, I upgraded my motherboard and processor for Warbirds. It's an AMD K6 3 450MHz.  It works well, and I have no complaints. I just wondered if I would be able to upgrade to a Pentium-III at some point in the future, using the same motherboard.  The existing mobo has a ZIF socket into which the processor fits.

I don't know what the Pent-3 processors look like, or whether they would work or even fit my mobo.  Have a look at my picture here, and tell me if you think I could put a Pent-3 on this motherboard.

[This message has been edited by scrmbl (edited 03-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by scrmbl (edited 03-17-2000).]

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Processor Upgrade (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
Unfortunately you won't be able to use that motherboard for a PII/III chipset.  These chips use a slot that likes, for lack of a better description, an extra ISA slot turned sideways.  The chips are encased and plug in like a card instead of a chip.  I tried to find a full size pic for ya but with a really really quick search came up empty.  Will see what I can dig up in an hour or so.
Found a pic. Kinda large will take it back down in a week or so.  
I really do hate that most boards are coming out with only 1 friggin ISA! Time to buy an external modem when I upgrade.

S!

Rocket

------------------

The Red Dragons
Fierce and Bold
With Honour and Courage

www.reddragons.de

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 03-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rocket (edited 03-17-2000).]

scrmbl

Processor Upgrade (?)
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2000, 07:43:00 AM »
Tnx Rocket,
As you can see, my mobo has no ISA slots at all    Had to buy a PCI modem when I got this board.