Author Topic: Phase 1 of upgrade complete  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Phase 1 of upgrade complete
« on: August 08, 2000, 02:21:00 AM »
I have a 366 Celeron(overclocked to 458)
64mb pc 100 ram
Riva TNT card
SBLive
In the latest version of AH this got me a best case FPS of 24
dogfight FOS was usually arround
base 1 lowered to to about 12 fps
any smoke 10 fps
any clouds < 10 fps

So I new I needed an upgrade
I decided on an Asus V6800 DDR delux card
566 Celeron(try for 850 overclock)
128mb more ram.

Tonight I did the first part of my upgrade.
I dont have the ram yet so I
figured the Video card would be easiest as it could use the same driver as my old one.
I down loaded the newest Nvidia detonator driver, installed it, put in the new card.
My frame rates seem to have inproved quite a bit allready. My field 1 speed is 24 FPS
normal flight 43 fps,  Spikes of as high as 57fps, lowest seems to be 38 fps clouds dont seem to slow it down at all.(all this in stand alone mode)

Tomorrow the CPU upgrade..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2000, 03:18:00 PM »
Pongo,

I have a C300A o/c to 450 with the CL TNT card and an SBlive. The major difference in our systems is that I have 128MB of RAM.

I get about 33 sitting in the tower, mid-40's looking out the front of a P-51 in a climb <mostly sky>, fights drop it to the low 30's maybe hi 20's. Smoke and clouds the same. EDIT: I should point out that this is 800x600 res, too..forgot that

I only mention this because the systems are so similar other than RAM...maybe worth some consideration.

I'm sure your new stuff will be fast though. Planning an upgrade myself, pretty soon.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Toad (edited 08-11-2000).]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2000, 06:55:00 PM »
Hiya,

I dont have anything to offer on the subject, but have a few ??'s.

I am also looking to upgrade my Mobo and CPU(to 566). I am going to hold on to the other stuff for now (hard drive, sound, video, etc)
My question is, how difficult might this be? I'm thinking that because I will install the Hard drive with all the stuff for the various cards, it should be fairly painless to swap the Board. Or is that wishfull thinking? Does Windows(98se) care if I switch boards? Will my Hard drive explode when I unplug it from my old board? Will a faster computer get me the hot babes?  

camel

Maybe I should add my specs;
Win 98se
Enlight 7320 case
Abit Bm6 (swaping to Abit VT6x4)
C466 @525 (want the 566 to go 850)
128 pc100
WD 8.4 drive
V770 standard 32mb o/c'ed to 165/185
mx300
supra express
6x DVD

[This message has been edited by Camel (edited 08-09-2000).]

Offline Mox

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2000, 10:03:00 AM »

Originally posted by Camel:
My question is, how difficult might this be? I'm thinking that because I will install the Hard drive with all the stuff for the various cards, it should be fairly painless to swap the Board. Or is that wishfull thinking? Does Windows(98se) care if I switch boards? Will my Hard drive explode when I unplug it from my old board? Will a faster computer get me the hot babes?    

camel

[This message has been edited by Camel (edited 08-09-2000).]

When you switch your MB and use a existing installed Win98 hard drive you'll see some odd things on first several boots.  You'll see the OS attempt to detect all the new bios, and chipset features like bridges, etc.  Win98 will attempt to detect everything again.

It might find everything ok but I would suggest doing a complete format and reinstall after you add a new MB.

FYI the hard drive wont explode!  I've yet to find a woman that appreciated the speed of my pc!

Mox

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »

Originally posted by Toad:
Pongo,

I have a C300A o/c to 450 with the CL TNT card and an SBlive. The major difference in our systems is that I have 128MB of RAM.

I get about 33 sitting in the tower, mid-40's looking out the front of a P-51 in a climb <mostly sky>, fights drop it to the low 30's maybe hi 20's. Smoke and clouds the same.

I only mention this because the systems are so similar other than RAM...maybe worth some consideration.

I'm sure your new stuff will be fast though. Planning an upgrade myself, pretty soon.

Good luck!
You are probably right.
I tried to get an idea of what direction to upgrade in before I bit the bullit. The 32 meg video card seemed to be the sure thing.
Then I had a nice bonus droped in my lap so I was able to do the upgrade I wanted to do.
I get really startling performance now. At 1024 I have acctually seen one of those fps spikes reach 147 fps. I can maintain 105 fps at high alt.  My mid alt fps is 75fps or so.
It really makes the planes feel solid arround me in close formation....
If I had the upgrade to do again I would have gotten a new MB as well cause I could have guerrenteed an 850 oc that way.
Next is a 19-21 inch monitor..