Author Topic: My Athlon is burning up.....  (Read 2664 times)

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
My Athlon is burning up.....
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
Heh....thanks for the tip wulfie :)  I figured a could do it from BIOS.  I am so reluctant to touch anything in the case for fear of "pulling a skernsk" and fediddleing it all up.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
Make sure you have your CPU fan working and it is installed right!
If its off the CPU, its nearly useless.
Also check for thermal paste, if any..

I did once install CPU cooler wrong way, thermal paste didn't get over the CPU and it got bit hot and I had to tweak it a little
At least I noticed it during first test runs after assembling whole computer from little pieces during the evening  ;)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
dont fear opening the case. Worst thing you can do is look at what's inside.

Once you do look, turn the system on with the case open and make SURE the heatsink fan (and any case fans) are turning on.

You are having the SAME problem I had when I got my 1.4ghz AMD. They gave me a really crappy heatsink.

I really suggest you get the Artic Silver II compound and a good heatsink.

You in Canada.. just open the dang window!  ;)

My PC used to go to 70C and shut down by beeping like a mofo (MBD security feature to prevent cpu burning up). Now I put the new heatsink with artic silver and temps stay below 50C.

[ 08-03-2001: Message edited by: Tac ]

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2001, 11:03:00 PM »
Tac,

Weird people if they supply crappy CPU coolers with packages..

Hey.. I got a business idea!
Ask someone to give same sort of CPU that has been overheated, then replace it with your working one and tell them that the CPU fried and you'll get a new one :>
..and tada, you got another gigahertz processor, for either to be sold or another comp.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »
The problem is certainly too high of temperatures.  I would get ahold of the guy who did the work for you and have him get a better CPU fan.  I read in your private message the system is loud.  I'd suggest getting one of the approved heatsinks and fans listed on AMD's website.  I'm using Cooler Master's EP5-6I11 on my brand new 1300 Tbird and after an hour of AH offline the temp was 56 C.  This is acceptable IMO, considering that this heatsink is quiet.  Obviously I haven't used the system enough to tell if the temps will get higher, but after several CPU benchmarks and a top temp of 56 C as well recorded by Motherboard Monitor 5 I think I'm safe.

The Volcano 2 is OK, but not for a 1.3.  None of Thermaltakes fans short of the dragon orb can really cool a 1.3 well enough.

The very best fan out there the last time I looked is the Thermalright SK6, which comes without a fan.  (All copper heatsink, and very large.)  You could put a Sunon "Green Fan", which is quiet, on this one and get excellent cooling.  If you have german friends you may look into the Noise Control Silverado as the ultimate in quiet cooling (made partially out of silver).  This one would cost about $80 to get to the US.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2001, 12:15:00 AM »

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2001, 07:02:00 AM »
Skernsk, with the probe, there is a good chance that the cpu fan etc is not plugged into the mobo so it will not show an RPM.

I have a big globalwin cooler on my DURON 800, and you can't plug it into the mobo or you might fry the board.
The thermaltake stuff isn't the greatest (orbs) it may need lapping, and definitely a high quality thermal grease.  The thermal sticky pads that alot of HSF come with is total Crrrrap.

I run my 800 at 1ghz and the CPU gets as high as 45 degrees with a heavy load.  I have the biggest 60mm fan available, tho now you can get adapters to use 80mm fans.

Have 2 80's blowin in front of case, 2 80's exhausting.
1 mobo chipset fan
1 blueorb on GF2 MX

somethin like 8-9 fans in the case total... it isn't exactly whisper quiet...

SKurj

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Have 2 80's blowin in front of case, 2 80's exhausting.
1 mobo chipset fan
1 blueorb on GF2 MX

somethin like 8-9 fans in the case total... it isn't exactly whisper quiet...

Hehe....sounds like my rig, Skurj.

AMD's run hot and good...no, GREAT circulation is a must IMO.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
LOL thirdup, I believe thats the same case I have +)  Antek 1030?

SKurj

Offline Thirdup

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2001, 04:04:00 PM »
Yep.  That Antec is the best case I have owned to date. Alienware used it in one their Area 51 models. It's just so easy to work on, I'm going to get another one and put my old system in it. And for airflow, you just can't beat it.