Author Topic: Help! - OVERCLOCKING PIII 600E......??  (Read 980 times)

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
Help! - OVERCLOCKING PIII 600E......??
« on: August 10, 2000, 01:26:00 PM »
have an ABIT BH6
PIII 600E
256mg RAM pc100

anyone have experience overclocking on a setup such as this? or close to it.

I know i can use the softmenu to change the cpu settings, is there anything else that i must do to get the chip to Overclock?

-mas

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2000, 02:07:00 PM »

I haven't done that exact OC, but there are a few things you should do...

1.  Get a good HS/Fan.  I mean really good.  Unless it's worth at least $25 US don't go there.  A big $40 Alpha unit will get you the farthest.

2.  Buy good heat paste!   http://www.coolingstore.com/

It's not a lot of money.  It got me 5 degrees and and extra 50 Mhz.

3.  Get the latest BIOS for your mobo.  Be ready to flash your BIOS from a boot floppy always in case you pooch it.

4.  Learn where your BIOS reset jumper is in case you over-do things and it won't boot.

Do some research, start at www.hardocp.com  and work out from there using links.

Also check www.maximumpc.com  and look for their BIOS article.  It will tell you what all those settings do.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs  http://www.flyingpigs.com

"My P-47 is a pretty good ship, she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip.
Just thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip, always got me through so far."
 - Steve Earl

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2000, 02:21:00 PM »
Hi there,

Not to start a flame war or anything. I am just curious why you would want to overclock it at all. 600 mhz and 258 megs of RAM should be PLENTY for anything AH has for cpu strain.

Is this a problem with frame rate? Maybe you should look at your video situation to help out the computer. You didn't specify the video card you have so it's just a shot in the dark.

I use a PIII 500Mhz 128 Megs RAM but have a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card with resolution maxed out in the game. I have better than 30FPS in all views. I also have a DSL connection to play with.

I hope this helps.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2000, 02:23:00 PM »
I think, not am not sure, but think your RAM has to be 133mhz, not 100mhz. Actually, I'll say you need 133mhz RAM.

A BH6 is O/C'd in BIOS (jumperless), so put a good fan on it with conductive compound, and crank it up to 900ishMhz.

Watch the smoke and FPS soar!

(used a Celeron 533 to O/C 800 which was alot cheaper, but 600E's supposed to O/C well)

whels1

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2000, 02:25:00 PM »
I currently run a BH6 P3 600e @ 800
with 128 meg PC133 ram. standard heat sink and fan, using thermal grease. no problems since the 1st time  i installed it. 800 mhz at 1.7 volts

Whels

whels1

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2000, 02:27:00 PM »
your PC100 ram may not make 133, but u can try. if u get new ram, go for quality over quantity.

mk

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2000, 02:46:00 PM »
using a Voodoo 3 2000  

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2000, 07:34:00 PM »
Oh, and this...

What brand of pc100 ram do you have?
....hopefully corsair cas 2..it will do a fsb of 125...

Also download the lastest bios from Abit...it supports the new PIII's...if your ram cant handle the higher fsb then get better ram...

Be careful not to go to high and get your agp bus past 89 or higher...geforce cards seem to do well at the higher clock speeds...

Last but not least, all cpus are not manufactured the same...some clock better than others...that's why I bought mine pretested and guarenteed.

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2000, 06:42:00 AM »
Memory would be your bottle neck in this setup. But it might still work at more than 100MHz. Do it in stages - make sure the system is stable, move on up.

I tried my P600E at 800 - it's solid - but I'm running it at 600 for now (256MB of PC133) as I've lost somewhere my HWMonitor install file and not comfortable relying on BIOS to "look after" CPU temperature.

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF