Author Topic: yet another ch pedal question :-)  (Read 866 times)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
yet another ch pedal question :-)
« on: August 06, 2001, 01:56:00 AM »
i was reading through these posts trying to see if any addressed my problem. there are a lot of ch posts but none exactly like this.

i had my ch pro pedals hooked through an analog js and it worked fine, however my joystick broke.

i have an old ms sidewinder ffb that i want to use as a replacement, but it is digital and won't work with the analog ch pro pedals. they are both gameport connectors.

here's my plan, i'd appreciate it if anyone will tell me if it will work or not:

i want to get a gameport-to-usb converter (radio shack 14.99) and convert my sidewinder to usb. this would free up a gameport for my ch pro pedals.

will this work? i am pretty sure i can support two joysticks through windows 98. i saw a previous post mention a similar setup but it didn't mention whether it was ffb or not. will that cause a problem? thanks for your help.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
My old 3d pro is supposed to be digital or analog depending on where you have the switch on the base put. Ive tried it with the adapter that came with my newer precision pro and couldnt get it to work.
 Basicly I dont know "not much help ehh?  :)" but in my experience with radio shack they are good to return things so id try it and if it doesnt work just return the adapter.
Maby a second  game card would work?

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2001, 10:03:00 AM »
Gameport to USB?
I dont know how that would work..  

Anyways, I dont know if Windows has drivers to use rudders only.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2001, 12:48:00 PM »
Im guessing that even if the old joystick is broke he could still leave the pedals plugged into it rather than directly into the gameport. Then if the MS stick would work ala usb then AH could assign the MS stick for roll and pitch and the rudders for yaw.
 As long as windows could see them both then it should work.

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2001, 01:12:00 PM »
If you are using Win98 or ME (but NOT Win2k or XP), you can connect the pedals by themselves using Bob Church's driver here:
 http://www.stickworks.com

I've used these before with success.

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2001, 02:43:00 PM »
hey it's working! thanks for your help i appreciate it.

here's the final working setup. i used a mixture of your suggestions in the end to get it working:

- get the r-only file form the site sancho mentioned. the site has great files and it is pretty silly that ch doesn't provide similar drivers with their products. the file is under a zip package called joyregs. the site is kinda laid out poorly with heaps of techy sounding zip files and lenghty descriptions but it is a tremendous resource for gamers.

the r-only file is supposed to allow windows to read pedals as a stand alone item as it assigns x and y axis to the single axis pedals. this didn't work when i tried it but it did seem to allow windows to pick it up at least. i had to plug it into my old joystick and then into the usb converter (which has several settings btw for wheel gamepad ets but it works).

- the sidewinder would not work in the usb port but worked fine in the gameport so it is there and the pedal/old js combo runs through the USB adapter.

thanks again!