Author Topic: New motherboards no ISA slot  (Read 908 times)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
New motherboards no ISA slot
« on: October 06, 2001, 10:16:00 AM »
How do I hook up my Zoom 2919L ISA modem to a new motherboard with 5PCI, 1AGP, 1AMR??? slot. On the surface it appears you need to use a PCI modem experience has proven that PCI modems are incompatible with my ISP  :(

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
you can't use that modem without an ISA slot.   :(  I don't think its correct to say that PCI modems would be incompatible with your ISP.  True, most PCI modems are piece of junk winmodems that have serious issues.

But not all PCI modems are winmodems.   Go to Pricewatch and do a search for "PCI hardware modem" and you'll see a big list of affordable non-winmodem PCI modems.

You might look at external modems.  I saw a US Robotics Courier external serial modem at Walmart for $100 the other day.  That is an excellent modem.  Then again there are cheaper ones out there and even USB modems, though I am not too familiar with them.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2001, 11:34:00 AM »
Your right it was a winmodem I had trouble with. I didn't realiaze you could buy a PCI hardware modem.. What's an AMR slot? Thanks for your response Sancho.  :)

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
AMR = AUDIO Modem Riser.  

AMR is a slot standard that just never caught on.

VatiAH
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2001, 03:10:00 PM »
Serial modem.
The only way to go if you are still stuck on dialup like me  :)

S!
Rocket

(avoid  USB modems too!)

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
Thx for the additional info guys, if any of you are familiar with the Zoom product line can you tell me which model is a PCI hardware model? I have had several modems in the past and my Zoom 2919 is the only one that has functioned well with my ISP. Also if you could provide more info about serial modems I sure would appreciate it Rocket, as I don't know anything about them.

I had considered going with an external USB modem..why should I stay away from them?

Once again thx for the help, It is Greatly appreciated!  :)

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2001, 03:18:00 AM »
Definitely go for an external modem: it makes troubleshooting so much easier.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2001, 01:06:00 PM »
aztec, avoid using the USB port for anything that requires a constant stream of data (i.e. any cable/dsl/analog modem).
The overhead for the USB port is too high and the USB bus is just too slow for this.

Get a good external modem (3Com Courier), hook it to a COM port and you will be a happy camper.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2001, 01:20:00 PM »
SKUZZY!!! words of wisdom from the man himself   :) Thx for answering my question Skuzzy, now by com port do you mean serial port? Thx Skuzzy...u the best   :)