Author Topic: Windows ME  (Read 1675 times)

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Windows ME
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2001, 03:50:00 AM »
Win ME was a horrible bandaid which was supposed to allow MS to migrate from 98 to 2K based code in a seamless manner.
Funny you should mention that - ME is the only OS by MS currently available on the market which cannot be upgraded to Win2K or XP. The difference in price between version upgrades and full products is almost double here in the UK. ME? Not me :D

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Windows ME
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
I had OS/2 in my old P1 100mhz 1999. It performed better than my P2 300 w/win98 (last "fixed" version before the SE) as far as stability and memory management. Couldn't play in it though, but hot damn, what an OS! A squeak to install, but once its in, its almost maintainance free  :)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Windows ME
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
I ran OS2 Warp when it was released.  It was decent for what I was using it for (BBS), but it definately had its drawbacks.  If you don't believe me, try configuring 3 com ports on it some day ;)

AKDejaVu

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Windows ME
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2001, 11:13:00 AM »
Guess I shouldn't say this but actually WinME runs great and without problems in my computer   :p

And you can change how much is that recovery option using space from your HD; my recovery folder's size is 70megs thought it looks like 200mb is smallest number in that slider.
I have W2K too but AH is getting some graphical bugs in W2k and 12.41/14.40 drivers if I try to alt-tab.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Windows ME
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2001, 12:10:00 PM »
Staga, I know what causes that in Win2k.  All you have to do is set your desktop and game resolutions AND the refresh rate to be the same.  If the refresh is different you get kind of a wire frame effect on the hangars and that if you alt tab in and out.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Windows ME
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
 Wow... Bill finally managed to bring the entire computer using world together to agree on one thing...

WinME sucks the big one.

I agree 100% Sir!!!
Windoze ME Bites!!!!  :mad:

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
Windows ME
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2001, 11:43:00 AM »
I haven't used ME myself but have also never heard a good word about it ANYWHERE.

I will not look at XP yet and according to this article http://grc.com/dos/sockettome.htm  - those of us with regular internet access may wish to wait awhile.  Skuzzy I would be interested in your view

Sparks

PS - so is W2000 SP1 now a good home product ? and if that is so is it worth buying a multi-processor mainboard to take advantage - i.e. if I got a board that took say 2 1Ghz thunderbirds it should churn better than a P4 and be cheaper ??

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Windows ME
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2001, 07:44:00 PM »
Actually Windows 2000 is up to Service Pack 2, and for me it helped a lot.

As for the dual Athlon thing, yes win2k will support that, but truth be known one Athlon 1.4 Ghz is at least the equal of the 1.8 Ghz P4.  (The Athlon tends to win all Office, Mathematical, and Direct X gaming applications.  The P4 wins in Quake 3, Flask MPEG 4, some "internet" benchmarks.  They are fairly even in most others.) Two Athlons would just be murder (dual P4 does not exist yet).  Currently there is only one dual Athlon board, and it's expensive.  Fortunately Tyan is releasing a cheaper version that does not have the onboard Ultra Scsi controller.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Windows ME
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2001, 08:46:00 AM »
Originally posted by bloom25:

I personally think it probably is the worst piece of software Microsoft has ever released.
Given the choice between staying with win98 or "upgrading" to windows ME; I'd say to stick with 98 se.

Bloom:
I have Windoze ME; it came with my Dell computer. It sux moonrocks!!!! I completely agree with you, it is abofragginlutely the worst piece of elephant dung MS has ever perpetrated on the public. Instead of hammering MS for monopolistic practices, they should be after them for visiting this piece of manure on consumers.