Author Topic: Tank Destroyers and other Heavy Tanks  (Read 3026 times)

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tank Destroyers and other Heavy Tanks
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 01:51:41 PM »
M-10 Wolverine tank destroyer 312Bar...before the M-18 and pretty good.

More photos
http://www.tankdestroyersociety.com/more_on_the_m10.htm
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2010, 01:53:17 PM »
My personal preference is that it is never added.

Blasphemy!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
Blasphemy!
It would make the vehicle game much more of a joke than it already is.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2010, 03:49:48 PM »
It would make the vehicle game much more of a joke than it already is.

I do agree with you on the ground game needing fine tuning.  For instance: terrain impacts on mobility & speed, iron bushes and tree branches, drive through enemy vehicles, nuetral downhill rolls in excess of vehicles capabilities, I could go on...  With that said, I would still love to see the M-18.  I have to believe that HTC will continue to address the issues, just like they always have.

:salute

Way
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2010, 06:52:32 PM »
Until AH has the steering of tracked vehicles properly modeled.... I say NO to any armored vehicles without a turret.  Once AH allows for the zero turn ability of tracked vehicles, then below is a list of obvious candidates to add:

StG IV
Hetzer
Su-85
Preist (for HE fun!)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2010, 08:38:53 PM »
Until AH has the steering of tracked vehicles properly modeled.... I say NO to any armored vehicles without a turret.  Once AH allows for the zero turn ability of tracked vehicles, then below is a list of obvious candidates to add:

StG IV
Hetzer
Su-85
Preist (for HE fun!)
Not all tanks in WWII had zero turn capabilties...I'm not sure which ones did but neither the Panzer nor the Sherman had the capability...I think 321Bar has a list of which ones did.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
I don't know if the M-18 will ever be added.  If it is it will need to be massively perked.  AH's much less cluttered than reality, allow full road speed off road, terrain would be much too favorable to the M-18.

I don't know about massively perked.  Open turret would mean vulnerability to even MG fire from aircraft, and the thin armor would make it more likely to be a one-hit-wonder than any of the current tanks, and would even be fodder for the M-8.  These shortcomings would offset somewhat the speed and firepower advantage.  A light perk would probably be warranted, though.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline stephen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2010, 03:22:30 AM »
I would LOVE to see the addition of German assault guns..., BUT the programers STILL havent seen fit to give German tanks the zero turn radius..., so I fear that thier ability to aim would be slower than comparible US tanks..., simply because the game has been stacked against them, in favor of allied tanks.
Both with terrain, and driving characteristics.. :headscratch:
Spell checker is for Morrons

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2010, 03:36:12 AM »
I don't think the Panzer IV, or the AA units built on the Panzer IV chasis, could turn in place.

Tigers and Panthers could, but I don't know if the others could.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2010, 01:31:16 PM »
I don't think the Panzer IV, or the AA units built on the Panzer IV chasis, could turn in place.

Tigers and Panthers could, but I don't know if the others could.

I'm not a tank expert.  I'm hardly even a tank enthusiast.  My only experience with tracks comes from playing around on a tracked bobcat skid-steer.  Even if a tracked vehicle could not pivot in place (true zero turn) by means of running one track forward and the other in reverse, it could/should still be able to lock one track up and move forward/reverse the other track giving the next best thing to zero turn.  Im not a "coader", but once a system of driving a tank like it has 2 tracks instead of 4 wheels has been implemented, if a tank did not have zero turn capability (Pzr Mk IV?) then Im sure it could be modeled properly.

The way the tracked vehicles are modeled now lend them to having 4 wheels.  That limits mobility in all directions vs if the tanks actually had tracks.

Also.. stop and think what tanks would be like in AH if there could be a driver AND a gunner inside one vehicle just like the aircraft with gunner.   :rock
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 08:05:50 AM »
I don't know if the M-18 will ever be added.  If it is it will need to be massively perked.  AH's much less cluttered than reality, allow full road speed off road, terrain would be much too favorable to the M-18.

some of these maps the M-18 would die before any chance of being able to utilize the terrain. These needed speed and cover to get kills. some of these maps are so open that they would be seen far away like the M8 and would be neutralized quickly. Also, some tank battles have NO room to maneuver the M-18. I use the M8 alot and it is a terrain reliant unit. The M-18 would have the exact same problem and would be as usable as the new M4 76mm except with an aircraft problem instead of a ground problem. (btw, the M-18 only had 35mm armor MAXIMUM. a 20mm could kill it theoretically just like it can kill M8s and M3s...
I'm not a tank expert.  I'm hardly even a tank enthusiast.  My only experience with tracks comes from playing around on a tracked bobcat skid-steer.  Even if a tracked vehicle could not pivot in place (true zero turn) by means of running one track forward and the other in reverse, it could/should still be able to lock one track up and move forward/reverse the other track giving the next best thing to zero turn.  Im not a "coader", but once a system of driving a tank like it has 2 tracks instead of 4 wheels has been implemented, if a tank did not have zero turn capability (Pzr Mk IV?) then Im sure it could be modeled properly.

The way the tracked vehicles are modeled now lend them to having 4 wheels.  That limits mobility in all directions vs if the tanks actually had tracks.

Also.. stop and think what tanks would be like in AH if there could be a driver AND a gunner inside one vehicle just like the aircraft with gunner.   :rock
yes, almost all tracked vehicles of WWII had no zero turn (excluding the TigerI "PnzrVI", Panther "PnzrV", TigerII, and i believe very late PnzrIVs and T34/85s). Allied tanks excluding the 34/85 did not implement zero turn until the M26 IIRC.

+1 to the idea of coading brake turning in the tanks track system to allow near zero turn and +1 to Tiger zero turn.

Aces High already allows a tank gunner although many choose not to do this due to the fact they trust themselves more than a gunner or it is too hard to teamwork with a tank gunner. I've successfully gunned PnzrIVs for people for fun though and it is something that i recommend for a more fun experience if you dont care about "winning" or score horing... :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2010, 01:19:06 PM »
I do agree with you on the ground game needing fine tuning.  For instance: terrain impacts on mobility & speed, iron bushes and tree branches, drive through enemy vehicles, nuetral downhill rolls in excess of vehicles capabilities, I could go on...  With that said, I would still love to see the M-18.  I have to believe that HTC will continue to address the issues, just like they always have.

:salute

Way

:frown:  Been asking for this for a long time now.  Would make roads mean something, and would bring about the need for bridges.  There... I said it... REAL bridges that we can fight over.  Think about a tank column moving down a road to a bridge, with soft ground on either side of the road... and a TD on the opposite side picking them off as they roll in.  Stay on the road, and you are a sitting duck, off into the mud... even worse.

***G3-MF***

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2010, 02:11:02 PM »
Not all tanks in WWII had zero turn capabilties...I'm not sure which ones did but neither the Panzer nor the Sherman had the capability...I think 321Bar has a list of which ones did.
yeah gyrene you're correct, i guess ill add that the quote you stated:
Until AH has the steering of tracked vehicles properly modeled.... I say NO to any armored vehicles without a turret.  Once AH allows for the zero turn ability of tracked vehicles, then below is a list of obvious candidates to add:

StG IV
Hetzer
Su-85
Preist (for HE fun!)
all of the SP guns did not use zero turn except the Jagdpanther, Hetzer, and the other late war german SP guns.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2010, 04:48:52 PM »
I'd like to see:

M-3
M-10
M-18

Crusader
Valentine
Matilda

Stug
Jagdpanzer

I'm sure there's others but those come to mind immediately.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.