Author Topic: More questions on CPU and MB combo's  (Read 722 times)

ovmech

More questions on CPU and MB combo's
« on: August 24, 2000, 06:13:00 PM »
I've been working on a new system and now will upgrade my CPU and MB so some questions to our more in depth types.

I'm looking at the 800 PIII overclocked to 900 by kickassgear.com and I feel a little uneasy about his motherboard choice (Asus CUV4X). I bought the 300a OC to 450 from him and have had no problems at all. I'm happy with his product. His review of the MB was less than great and it makes me wonder why he selected it.

Now my questions are:

What recomendations would anybody make for a MB for the PIII 800? Please include link data if you can supply it?

I'm looking for jumperless and no onboard sound. I will use 133 mem. All options will be taken into account.

What good sources to buy at a great price?

What is the difference between an OEM CPU and a Retail version?

I wish to stay away from AMD... Like somebody said it like Chevy and Ford...I did the AMD thing from way back...lol.

Thanks for any input.

ovmech

------------------
ovmech, Lt Col Commanding
  ovmech@cfl.rr.com  
82nd Fighter Group
82nd Fighter Group

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2000, 07:50:00 AM »
I cannot comment on much of your request as I have not found a motherboard w/o sound that I like yet for an 800Mhz PIII.

But the difference between the OEM and Retail CPU is this;  The OEM unit typically comes without a fan (i.e.  bare processor) and requires you to provide a fan.  This is the best way to go.  I would recommend the Antec cooling fan (www.antec-inc.com).  It is a dual ball-bearing fan unit.  They actually have 2 different units, one has a very large heavy duty heat sink (The monster) and will probably out last your computer.
The retail processor, is the Intel box set with cooling fan.

I really have not had any problems with the Intel provided fan, but the Antec fan on my 600E keeps the processor about 5 degrees cooler than the Intel fan.  Keep in mind, because it is a dual fan unit, it does draw more power.  Not a problem for me as I have a 300W power supply from Antec.

I would look for the Antec fan at other places, as they charge full retail for it on thier WEB site ($39.95 U.S.).

Hope this helps.

------------------
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
President, AppLink Corp.
http://www.applink.net
skuzzy@applink.net
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dinger

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2000, 08:58:00 AM »
I can't help either, but will gladly waste some bandwidth.  Asus usually makes very good boards.  Abit perhaps?
Eight months ago, I wouldn't have considered AMD either.  But when I found out you can get a 950 MHz CPU/MB combo for <$250 I kinda changed my mind about 'em.

Offline DrSoya

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2000, 05:04:00 PM »
<Hi Ov!   >

Also, the OEM CPU usually has a shorter warranty.

If you're not getting the Antec cooling fan, make sure you're getting a good one. It's sure annoying to have to replace a cheap one because it started making noise.

------------------
DrSoya
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF [AH]
Part of the Northolt Wing (First Polish Fighter Wing)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2000, 05:20:00 PM »

Offline sparkzz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
Besides the above mention differences (warranty being very important) an oem cpu has been sold to a distibutor (i.e. Dell,Compaq) and than resold by the distributor to a wholesaler.  They call it gray market distribution.  Oems run the risk of remarking, but thats a rare occurance now, and not a problem if you buy from reputable retailers. (Although it did just happen in Australia with some Athlons)
If you plan on doing some serious overclocking you might want the retail version for its warranty period which will give you a little extra insurance.  

Im a little biased on the mobos.  I hate the Via chipsets (downloaded 1 to many 4n1 drivers) and really havent used any of the newer pro133 chipsets.  I was using an Abit Be6.2 with my 600e@840 but just switched to the new Asus CUSL2 (815e).  Havent had it long enough to say anymore than it works.  

Sparkzz

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2000, 02:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by sparkzz:
Im a little biased on the mobos.  I hate the Via chipsets (downloaded 1 to many 4n1 drivers) and really havent used any of the newer pro133 chipsets.  I was using an Abit Be6.2 with my 600e@840 but just switched to the new Asus CUSL2 (815e).  Havent had it long enough to say anymore than it works.  

Sparkzz

I have a Asus P3V4X VIA board and love it. I also work for an Asus distributor in NZ. Bad news is 815i are starting to show some 'issues', first is Matrox AGP cards spit the dummy in them. I'm of the tendency to wait a couple of months given the rush job Intel did to get the 815i out (and the problems with the 820). IE, Wait and see if the 815i spits out any more funnies.