Author Topic: M4 76mm vs Panz - something screwy?  (Read 929 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
M4 76mm vs Panz - something screwy?
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:23:21 AM »
M4 76mm AP 1000yds almost exactly side on to a panz, 3 rounds into the middle of the side armour, then 2 more a little lower down. no apparent damage to the panz although I did get an assist when a plane bombed him.

http://www.lumbergh.aquiss.com/ah/ah_films/m4_76mm_no_kill_huh_1219.ahf

:headscratch:

edit: and yes, I know I sound like

:D
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 07:28:47 AM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: M4 76mm vs Panz - something screwy?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:49:56 AM »
Is this a new film?  I can't hear vox (haven't updated yet)............  AND that's what I really wanted to do!   :x

But I do see your point, those all looked spot on. 
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »
yup filmed last night since the latest patch. can still one-shot the offline tiger and t34 from 1k ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
M4 76mm AP 1000yds almost exactly side on to a panz, 3 rounds into the middle of the side armour, then 2 more a little lower down. no apparent damage to the panz although I did get an assist when a plane bombed him.

http://www.lumbergh.aquiss.com/ah/ah_films/m4_76mm_no_kill_huh_1219.ahf

:headscratch:

edit: and yes, I know I sound like
(Image removed from quote.)
:D

Yeah I agree, he shoulda gone boom.

And yeah, you sound like the little lizard lol

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Gaboon

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »
Remember what you see is not what he sees. many times I have watched rounds being fired from a distance from  another vantage point and what I saw were the rounds clearly exploding on  th other side of the target and quite long but none the less the target explodes and I said not a single round hit that tank From what I saw and they answered every round hit in my view. so what I think is happening front ends are way out of sync causing shots  not to register but thats just my opinion.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:26 PM »
Your client tells the opponent when he's dead, so that's a moot point. Or else planes would have to shoot a few hundred yards ahead of the enemy to hit them (which was in one of the older games, I believe...).
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 02:55:54 PM »
Remember what you see is not what he sees. many times I have watched rounds being fired from a distance from another vantage point and what I saw were the rounds clearly exploding on the other side of the target and quite long but none the less the target explodes and I said not a single round hit that tank From what I saw and they answered every round hit in my view. So what I think is happening front ends are way out of sync causing shots not to register but that's just my opinion.

The problem with this theory, if it's true, is that we can never be exactly sure of how to properly attack. In the vid, 3 solid hits registered and no damage, yet when the panzer fired, it got the turret. This means the Panzer knew where to fire, or the sync distortion wasn't on his end.
The answer HTC will give is each system is its own "world," but the problem is Joe Blow has an advantage over others because those others have no idea they aren't actually hitting him until it's too late. This brings to mind when you could reduce graphics to remove the trees and have an unfair sight advantage. That got fixed quickly.
Your client tells the opponent when he's dead, so that's a moot point. Or else planes would have to shoot a few hundred yards ahead of the enemy to hit them (which was in one of the older games, I believe...).

If this is so, and our vids tell when the other dude is dead, then 99% of the rams I have on video where I somehow am the only collider even though the other plane could in no way have survived, or have not hit me. Further into the same video as I’m in my chute, I watch said colliders continue the fight as if nothing happened. When I call HTC about this, they say it’s normal for us to be that desync’d. Apparently in AH, physics don’t count because as far as I know, when a bat hits a ball, they both touch... Never does the bat hit the ball without the ball hitting said bat.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 02:56:45 PM »
Remember what you see is not what he sees. many times I have watched rounds being fired from a distance from another vantage point and what I saw were the rounds clearly exploding on  the other side of the target and quite long but none the less the target explodes and I said not a single round hit that tank From what I saw and they answered every round hit in my view. so what I think is happening front ends are way out of sync causing shots  not to register but that's just my opinion.

The problem with this theory, if it's true, is that we can never be exactly sure of how to properly attack. In the vid, 3 solid hits registered and no damage, yet when the panzer fired, it got the turret. This means the Panzer knew where to fire, or the sync distortion wasn't on his end.
The answer HTC will give is each system is it's own "world," but the problem is Joe Blow has an advantage over others because those others have no idea they aren't actually hitting him until it's too late. This brings to mind when you could reduce graphics to remove the trees and have an unfair sight advantage. That got fixed quick.

If this is so, and our vids tell when the other dude is dead, then 99% of the rams I have on video where I somehow am the only collider
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 02:57:31 PM »
Remember what you see is not what he sees. many times I have watched rounds being fired from a distance from another vantage point and what I saw were the rounds clearly exploding on the other side of the target and quite long but none the less the target explodes and I said not a single round hit that tank From what I saw and they answered every round hit in my view. So what I think is happening front ends are way out of sync causing shots not to register but that's just my opinion.

The answer HTC will give is each system is its own "world," but the problem is Joe Blow has an advantage over others because those others have no idea they aren't actually hitting him until it's too late. This brings to mind when you could reduce graphics to remove the trees and have an unfair sight advantage. That got fixed quickly.

If this is so, and our vids tell when the other dude is dead, then 99% of the rams I have on video where I somehow am the only collider even though the other plane could in no way have survived, or have not hit me. Further into the same video as I’m in my chute, I watch said colliders continue the fight as if nothing happened. When I call HTC about this, they say it’s normal for us to be that desync’d. Apparently in AH, physics don’t count because as far as I know, when a bat hits a ball, they both touch... Never does the bat hit the ball without the ball hitting said bat.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 02:58:12 PM »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
Quadruple post...shoot, I've only ever had a triple. :D

Two players colliding is a different situation than one player shooting another. In the first case, your client damages you and tells the opponent "my player has been damaged." In the latter, it says "my player has shot you on this point of your vehicle." Now, whether the actual damage calculation is done locally, on the server (doubtful), or on the opponent's side is a good question, but it makes sense to do it locally.

Physics count just fine, but you have to remember that in a 1v1 dogfight, there are four aircraft. :) It's because of that desynchronization that the local client has to tell the other it's being hit; otherwise, you'd have to fire your shots compensating for hundreds of yards of lag on both ends.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:19:52 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
my understanding is if I get good hits on my FE then its job done, regardless of what he sees. I was just wondering what effect the skirt has, I put 3 rounds into roughly the same hull area and expected it to go boom, then lowered my aim a little to try to at least track him. even if the first 3 didnt penetrate the hull, surely the last 2 rounds really should have pierced the skirt and hit the wheels?

edit: i dont do alot of gving but i'm pretty sure ive killed panzers easily from this angle/range before.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 03:33:36 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »
Doesn't mean I have to like it  :aok

as for the posts... sheesh it just wouldn't post so I kept hitting post hoping it would take. Finally called HTC and they fixed it for me.. four times over :lol

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
I was just wondering what effect the skirt has

The Panzer IV is the only one of our tanks that has a skirt (in the definition of the term I think we're talking about). It's those thin, flat pieces of metal plate on the sides. They're meant to defeat HEAT rounds by detonating them early and make a satchel charge on the side of the tank moot.

Problem is, in our game, our only indication of penetration or failure to punch through is the size of the sprite and maybe the round flinging up into the air. If you shoot the side of the Panzer, it's very hard for the round to not penetrate those thin plates, meaning you will get that big hit sprite. Problem is, if the round hits the actual side of the tank and stops without entering the "cabin," it still shows that big sprite from piercing the skirt armor instead of the expected bounce.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 11:47:20 PM »
I've bounced 14 76mm rounds off a PzIV at 1000yds, so I feel your pain. The PzIV then "one-shot" me into oblivion. I tried hull, upper and lower, turret side and front, aiming at hatches and the shell trap betwixt gun mantle and turret ring.

I reckon I could hear the PzIV driver laughing as I popped.
Retired